How To Connect Visual FoxPro 7 Data Source to Word 2002 (or Office XP Applications)
Author Message
 How To Connect Visual FoxPro 7 Data Source to Word 2002 (or Office XP Applications)

Hi all.

I need help in connecting or using Mail Merge in Word 2002 (from
Office XP) to create a letter. I need to know the exact and detail
steps in doing this as I don't know anything about Visual FoxPro but
am asked to use its file's tables. Can someone please help me? Thanks
a lot!!!

BTW, please let me know what files I need to download and install for
Visual FoxPro 7 if there are not available upon first installation.
Thank you!!!

Noriko

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:18:22 GMT
 How To Connect Visual FoxPro 7 Data Source to Word 2002 (or Office XP Applications)
Hello, Noriko!
You wrote  on 21 Apr 2003 11:18:22 -0700:

 NMS> I need help in connecting or using Mail Merge in Word 2002 (from
 NMS> Office XP) to create a letter. I need to know the exact and detail
 NMS> steps in doing this as I don't know anything about Visual FoxPro but
 NMS> am asked to use its file's tables. Can someone please help me? Thanks
 NMS> a lot!!!

 NMS> BTW, please let me know what files I need to download and install for
 NMS> Visual FoxPro 7 if there are not available upon first installation.
 NMS> Thank you!!!

Try using ODBC to connect Word to the VFP database. If you don't have the
Visual FoxPro ODBC driver installed on your system, get it here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/updates/default.asp
I assume you know how to run the Mail Merge feature in Word.
--
Eric den Doop

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:37:49 GMT
 How To Connect Visual FoxPro 7 Data Source to Word 2002 (or Office XP Applications)

Quote:
> I assume you know how to run the Mail Merge feature in Word.

Hi Eric.
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I have another problem. I don't
know the steps to connect the data source file to Word as I never used
Visual FoxPro before.

Can you help me again?

Btw, thanks again.

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:42:31 GMT
You wrote  on 21 Apr 2003 19:42:31 -0700:

 ??>> I assume you know how to run the Mail Merge feature in Word.

 NMS> Hi Eric.
 NMS> Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I have another problem. I don't
 NMS> know the steps to connect the data source file to Word as I never used
 NMS> Visual FoxPro before.

 NMS> Can you help me again?

Ok, but this is more a Word issue than a VFP issue.
- launch Word
- click \Tools\:Letters and Mailings\Show Mail Merge Toolbar
note that the Mail Merge Toolbar is now visible
- click the Open DataSource button on the toolbar. It is the second button
from the left
- click the New Source button on the Select Data Source dialog
- select Other/Advanced from the data source list and click Next
- activate the Connection Tab
- click "Use connection string"
- click the "Build..." button
- click the "New..." button
- select "Microsoft FoxPro VFP Driver (*.dbf)" from the list and click Next
- type a name, for example "MyVFPMailMerge" and click Next and click Finish
- on the "Configure Connection" dialog, select "Visual FoxPro  database
(.DBC) if you need to connect to a VFP Database. Select "Free Table
directory" if you need to connect to a free table.
- click "Browse..." to locate the file you want to use in the mail merge
- you now return to the "Select Data Source" dialog. Select the new DSN from
the list and click OK
- click OK until you're back in the Word doc.

That's about it for the connection part. You can now select the fields from
the "Insert Merge Fields" button on the Mail Merge Toolbar. Good luck!
--
Eric den Doop

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 14:21:29 GMT
 How To Connect Visual FoxPro 7 Data Source to Word 2002 (or Office XP Applications)
Hi Eric.

I have tried what you suggested. However, I received an error message:

  "A connection could not be made using the file data source
     parameters entered. Save non-verified file DSN."

before the "Configure Connection" dialog box pops up.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!!

<hugs>

Noriko

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 20:36:10 GMT
 How To Connect Visual FoxPro 7 Data Source to Word 2002 (or Office XP Applications)
Hiya!!!

I would like to say many thanks to you all as the problem is now
solve!!!
I found the solution to the error message. It was caused by an
undefined DNS and Visual FoxPro 6 missing driver file.

Anyways... I wish you all good luck! Success! Happiness! And GREAT
HEALTH!
Laters ^_~

Noriko Meiko Star

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:14:14 GMT

1. Word 2002 Error Message: Unable to Open Data Source using Visual FoxPro Data Base File

2. Word automation in Windows XP/Word 2002

3. Cannot merge Visual FoxPro 6 data source using MS Query in Word 97 on Windows XP

4. Adding a Data source to the Open Data Source Window in MS Word

5. Word Automation and Norton's Antivirus 2002

6. XP and VFP/sp3 and Office XP

7. Accessing FoxPro tables with Access 2002

8. Attach File on OUTLOOK 2002

9. Foxpro 7.0 OLE automation with Word XP.

10. VIM 2002.02.180 -- Asynchronous (Event) Network processing added

11. Jan 2002 MSDN - where is the VFP help?

12. VFUG Instant Messenger (VIM) v.2002.02.110 Now Online