sharing files over network in VFoxPro 6.0
Author Message
 sharing files over network in VFoxPro 6.0

I am porting a dBaseIV application to VFP 6.0. While in dBase,
different users can look at the same database, which is on a network
drive. However under VFP, while one user opened the database, other
users will encounter a program error when the PRG file tries to USE
the same database, even when "exclusive" is not specified.
- can't VFP allow multi user read on the same file?
- if not, how do I check if a file is already in use before calling
USE?

thanks in advance!
Tippi

Sun, 01 May 2005 22:44:38 GMT
 sharing files over network in VFoxPro 6.0

Quote:
> I am porting a dBaseIV application to VFP 6.0. While in dBase,
> different users can look at the same database, which is on a network
> drive. However under VFP, while one user opened the database, other
> users will encounter a program error when the PRG file tries to USE
> the same database, even when "exclusive" is not specified.
> - can't VFP allow multi user read on the same file?

Tippi,

The default value for EXCLUSIVE is ON.

Use SET EXCLUSIVE OFF at the beginning of your Main program, and in the
INIT() of any forms with a private datasession. For other commands that are
scoped to the datasession see "Commands that Scope to a Data Session" in
Help.

Sun, 01 May 2005 22:56:31 GMT
 sharing files over network in VFoxPro 6.0

Quote:
> I am porting a dBaseIV application to VFP 6.0. While in dBase,
> different users can look at the same database, which is on a network
> drive. However under VFP, while one user opened the database, other
> users will encounter a program error when the PRG file tries to USE
> the same database, even when "exclusive" is not specified.
> - can't VFP allow multi user read on the same file?
> - if not, how do I check if a file is already in use before calling
> USE?

> thanks in advance!
> Tippi

Tippi,

One other  way of handling this is to include the SHARED statement in your
syntax.  The use of either SHARED or EXCLUSIVE in your USE syntax will
override whatever the system setting is.

Mikel

Mon, 02 May 2005 01:45:13 GMT

1. indexing a shared file on network

2. VFP Data Files On A Network Share

3. Slow opening of shared file in W2K Network

4. Extracting the network share name as opposed to the network drive

5. VFP 6.0 Intermittently Hangs When Opening Shared DBF Files

6. VFoxPro 6.0: How do I enhance the appearance of an HTML report generated through code

7. CHR() COMMANDS IN VFOXPRO 6.0

8. VFoxpro 6.0, ASP and ODBC

9. Share Table in a network

10. How to share a project on a network environment

11. DBF sharing on WFWG network

12. Shared tables and Peer-to-Peer Networks