Running Foxpro Application on Novell Lite
Author Message
 Running Foxpro Application on Novell Lite

I am running a foxpro application on Novell Lite. Every now and then
the files become corrupted giving the "Database not ordered" error.
Please Help!!!!

Mon, 16 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Foxpro Application on Novell Lite

Quote:

>I am running a foxpro application on Novell Lite. Every now and then
>the files become corrupted giving the "Database not ordered" error.
>Please Help!!!!

The tables are not being closed properly.  See if Novell is closing
the tables or some other app is closing them.  They may not be closing
them correctly.  Sorry.  Without knowing more about Novel Lite it's
hard for me to say.  Good{*filter*}.

Sean Kenworthy
V.P. Systems Analyst
TABCOM, INC

Tue, 17 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Foxpro Application on Novell Lite

Quote:

>Subject: Running Foxpro Application on Novell Lite
>Date: 31 Aug 1995 11:41:19 GMT
>I am running a foxpro application on Novell Lite. Every now and then
>the files become corrupted giving the "Database not ordered" error.
>Please Help!!!!

This could be due to corrupted files, but it also appears when a program
tries to perform an operation (such as SEEK()) that expects to find an index
and none are open or SET ORDER TO 0 has been used.

Make sure that all the appropriate index files are opened with the database.
If you are using a compound index (CDX) file, this happens automatically when
the database is opened with the USE command. You will need to SET ORDER TO the
appropriate index key after that.

If the application is using standalone index (IDX) files, they need to be
specified in the USE command, or with the SET INDEX TO command.

Tue, 17 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Foxpro Application on Novell Lite

Quote:
>I am running a foxpro application on Novell Lite. Every
now and then
>the files become corrupted giving the "Database not
ordered" error.
>Please Help!!!!

I strongly recommend you (or your customer) change the
network software. I've tried to do in the past, even when
I didn't want to, because the customer insist due to the
low price.
The result was damaged data, corrupted indexes and many
systems stops. So, my customer ended wasting a lot of time
and money, and at the end he was forced to buy a Netware
2.20.
The fact is that Novell Lite is intended to share some
simple files from Word processors, or spreadsheets, but it
can't support continuos on-line transactions (and I'm
talking just about entering sales orders and invoicing in
a small business).
Besides all that, the performance with two or three
workstations becomes quickly untolerable.

The cost of a good network installation is many time
disminished by some people, but the cost of a poor
implemented one might be very high.
I have data corruption even in Netware 2.12 / 2.20 because
the server was non-dedicated and it was in use as a
terminal. This drive to memory overload and dirty cache
buffers in the server.

We strongly recommend as a minimum installation Netware
3.12 with a dedicated server (a 386dx with 8Mb at least)
if it will be many transactions across the network.

If the application is really small and basically it will
perform searches and not many updates from terminals, it
will run well on a Lantastic (I'd not try Personal
Netware, but I'm afraid that it was oriented to the same
kind of jobs that Lite was).

Merino Aller & Asociados                       Callao 232, 6to.11
Research & Development Manager            (1022) Bs.As, Argentina

Tue, 17 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Foxpro Application on Novell Lite
Quote:

>>I am running a foxpro application on Novell Lite. Every now and then
>>the files become corrupted giving the "Database not ordered" error.
>>Please Help!!!!

>The tables are not being closed properly.  See if Novell is closing
>the tables or some other app is closing them.  They may not be closing
>them correctly.  Sorry.  Without knowing more about Novel Lite it's
>hard for me to say.  Good{*filter*}.

                      ^^^^^^^^^^

Excuse Me???

But seriously,  You shouldn't be running Foxpro on a Peer-to-Peer network
because this type of network is not stable and often corrupts data. If you
must run on a peer-to-peer network, then you must take steps to make your
app more fault-tolerant.  Include a database in your app that holds the
structures and index tags of all databases on disk.  Then in your
error-handling routine, if you get an error such as "Not a table/DBF" or
"Table is not ordered", you can call your routine to recreate the table
structure and/or CDX.  Since this table of structures is included in the
.exe, it is not a disk file that can be corrupted (unless the .exe gets
corrupted, in which case you are in big trouble).
        When recreating the table structure, all data is lost. If this is
not acceptable, then you must purchase a third-party utililty that fixes
Foxpro DBF's.  Look in Foxpro Advisor for adverti{*filter*}ts.

Jim

Quote:

>Sean Kenworthy
>V.P. Systems Analyst
>TABCOM, INC

Sun, 01 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. FoxPro 2.6 DOS, Novell NetWare, RUN command

2. Robert R. Hager Client32 Error Message while running a FoxPro app on Novell server

3. Running FoxPro 2.5 Applications under Visual FoxPro

4. Foxpro with Oracle 8i Lite

5. Foxpro with Oracle 8i Lite

6. Foxpro with Oracle 8i Lite

7. Starting an application via the command line vs Run|Application

8. RUN/! command error in applications run on Windows95

9. Error running custom Foxpro application

10. Application to run without FoxPro

11. problem in running application on foxpro in pentium mmx system

12. FOXPRO 2.6, Run Application Without Window Title bar?