There is not enough memory to complete this operation
Author Message
 There is not enough memory to complete this operation

I have a VFP 6.0 application (Service Pack3) and lately many of the users
have been encountering not "enough memory to complete this operation" error.
My question for those that have experience with this error message, what is
usually the cause of this error.  In addition, could it have something to do
with the size of this application.  When this application was originally
release, it was only 4MB, now it has grown to over 10.5 MB exe.  This
application is running on a Novell Netware 4.11 environment with over 225
concurrent clients running either Window 98 (90% of all Clients), NT 4.0, or
Windows 2000.  The majority of the Windows 98 Clients are running with 32MB
Ram, 64MB Ram for Win NT 4.0 Machines, 128MB Ram Windows 2000 Machines.  Any
help in this matter would be grealty appreciated.

Ralph.

Sun, 15 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 There is not enough memory to complete this operation
Ralph,
The size of the application code file has very little to do with the amount
of memory required to do a given operation. First, is there some specific
function that causes this problem (e.g. a SQL Select into an array)? Next,
what other tasks are "normally" running on these workstations when the error
occurs? (It doesn't matter how much memory is installed, if it's all in use
by many other running tasks.) In general I have found, 32MB is not
sufficient for running a non-trivial VFP 6.0 application.

Rick

Quote:
> I have a VFP 6.0 application (Service Pack3) and lately many of the users
> have been encountering not "enough memory to complete this operation"
error.
> My question for those that have experience with this error message, what
is
> usually the cause of this error.  In addition, could it have something to
do
> with the size of this application.  When this application was originally
> release, it was only 4MB, now it has grown to over 10.5 MB exe.  This
> application is running on a Novell Netware 4.11 environment with over 225
> concurrent clients running either Window 98 (90% of all Clients), NT 4.0,
or
> Windows 2000.  The majority of the Windows 98 Clients are running with
32MB
> Ram, 64MB Ram for Win NT 4.0 Machines, 128MB Ram Windows 2000 Machines.
Any
> help in this matter would be grealty appreciated.

> Ralph.

Sun, 15 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 There is not enough memory to complete this operation
Hi Rick,

Thanks for responding to my post. The only other application that they run
is WordPro, but that is only so often.  This error occurs with or without
WordPro Loaded.  One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post is
that I make extensive use of the Treeview, listview, and imagecontrol.  I am
not sure if that has an effect, but it would notheless be a massive
undertaken if I had to go back and rewrite all these forms without those
Active X controls.

Ralph.

Quote:
> Ralph,
> The size of the application code file has very little to do with the
amount
> of memory required to do a given operation. First, is there some specific
> function that causes this problem (e.g. a SQL Select into an array)? Next,
> what other tasks are "normally" running on these workstations when the
error
> occurs? (It doesn't matter how much memory is installed, if it's all in
use
> by many other running tasks.) In general I have found, 32MB is not
> sufficient for running a non-trivial VFP 6.0 application.

> Rick

> > I have a VFP 6.0 application (Service Pack3) and lately many of the
users
> > have been encountering not "enough memory to complete this operation"
> error.
> > My question for those that have experience with this error message, what
> is
> > usually the cause of this error.  In addition, could it have something
> do
> > with the size of this application.  When this application was originally
> > release, it was only 4MB, now it has grown to over 10.5 MB exe.  This
> > application is running on a Novell Netware 4.11 environment with over
225
> > concurrent clients running either Window 98 (90% of all Clients), NT
4.0,
> or
> > Windows 2000.  The majority of the Windows 98 Clients are running with
> 32MB
> > Ram, 64MB Ram for Win NT 4.0 Machines, 128MB Ram Windows 2000 Machines.
> Any
> > help in this matter would be grealty appreciated.

> > Ralph.

Sun, 15 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 There is not enough memory to complete this operation

writes

Quote:
>I have a VFP 6.0 application (Service Pack3) and lately many of the users
>have been encountering not "enough memory to complete this operation" error.
>My question for those that have experience with this error message, what is
>usually the cause of this error.  In addition, could it have something to do
>with the size of this application.  When this application was originally
>release, it was only 4MB, now it has grown to over 10.5 MB exe.  This
>application is running on a Novell Netware 4.11 environment with over 225
>concurrent clients running either Window 98 (90% of all Clients), NT 4.0, or
>Windows 2000.  The majority of the Windows 98 Clients are running with 32MB
>Ram, 64MB Ram for Win NT 4.0 Machines, 128MB Ram Windows 2000 Machines.  Any
>help in this matter would be grealty appreciated.

Are your users low on free disk space? Maybe Windows can't expand its
swap file enough.
--
Steve Thomas
Bridgend

Mon, 16 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 There is not enough memory to complete this operation
Ralph,

Each of the controls you mentioned derive and store their values in local
machine memory, or disk cache. Due the fact that you make 'extensive' use of
these controls I would imagine that this may be the root of the problem.
Review your code and make sure you are releasing whatever vars/arrays you
can whenever possible.
If the cause of the problem is insuffienct RAM on the machines. I would
recommend 128MB for the 9x platforms, and 256 for NT/2K.

HTH,

Marc

Quote:
> Hi Rick,

> Thanks for responding to my post. The only other application that they run
> is WordPro, but that is only so often.  This error occurs with or without
> WordPro Loaded.  One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post is
> that I make extensive use of the Treeview, listview, and imagecontrol.  I
am
> not sure if that has an effect, but it would notheless be a massive
> undertaken if I had to go back and rewrite all these forms without those
> Active X controls.

> Ralph.

> > Ralph,
> > The size of the application code file has very little to do with the
> amount
> > of memory required to do a given operation. First, is there some
specific
> > function that causes this problem (e.g. a SQL Select into an array)?
Next,
> > what other tasks are "normally" running on these workstations when the
> error
> > occurs? (It doesn't matter how much memory is installed, if it's all in
> use
> > by many other running tasks.) In general I have found, 32MB is not
> > sufficient for running a non-trivial VFP 6.0 application.

> > Rick

> > > I have a VFP 6.0 application (Service Pack3) and lately many of the
> users
> > > have been encountering not "enough memory to complete this operation"
> > error.
> > > My question for those that have experience with this error message,
what
> > is
> > > usually the cause of this error.  In addition, could it have something
> > do
> > > with the size of this application.  When this application was
originally
> > > release, it was only 4MB, now it has grown to over 10.5 MB exe.  This
> > > application is running on a Novell Netware 4.11 environment with over
> 225
> > > concurrent clients running either Window 98 (90% of all Clients), NT
> 4.0,
> > or
> > > Windows 2000.  The majority of the Windows 98 Clients are running with
> > 32MB
> > > Ram, 64MB Ram for Win NT 4.0 Machines, 128MB Ram Windows 2000
Machines.
> > Any
> > > help in this matter would be grealty appreciated.

> > > Ralph.

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 There is not enough memory to complete this operation
All my forms are private data sessions, and I only using about 5 public
variables.  I assume that when you leave a form with a private data sessions
or a procedure for that matter, that all local vars, arrays are being
released automatically.  Is there a way to make sure that this is indeed
being done, more importantly that the treeviews and listviews are being
totally released from memory when you exit out a form.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Ralph.

Quote:
> Ralph,

> Each of the controls you mentioned derive and store their values in local
> machine memory, or disk cache. Due the fact that you make 'extensive' use
of
> these controls I would imagine that this may be the root of the problem.
> Review your code and make sure you are releasing whatever vars/arrays you
> can whenever possible.
> If the cause of the problem is insuffienct RAM on the machines. I would
> recommend 128MB for the 9x platforms, and 256 for NT/2K.

> HTH,

> Marc

> > Hi Rick,

> > Thanks for responding to my post. The only other application that they
run
> > is WordPro, but that is only so often.  This error occurs with or
without
> > WordPro Loaded.  One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post
is
> > that I make extensive use of the Treeview, listview, and imagecontrol.
> am
> > not sure if that has an effect, but it would notheless be a massive
> > undertaken if I had to go back and rewrite all these forms without those
> > Active X controls.

> > Ralph.

> > > Ralph,
> > > The size of the application code file has very little to do with the
> > amount
> > > of memory required to do a given operation. First, is there some
> specific
> > > function that causes this problem (e.g. a SQL Select into an array)?
> Next,
> > > what other tasks are "normally" running on these workstations when the
> > error
> > > occurs? (It doesn't matter how much memory is installed, if it's all
in
> > use
> > > by many other running tasks.) In general I have found, 32MB is not
> > > sufficient for running a non-trivial VFP 6.0 application.

> > > Rick

> > users
> > > error.
> what
> > > is
> > > do
> originally
This
> > 225
> > 4.0,
> > > or
> > > 32MB
> Machines.
> > > Any

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 There is not enough memory to complete this operation
is it just the win98 clients that get the error?  i've seen this error crop
up as win98 is slowly dying... (i.e. the only way to overcome it is a
reboot)...it could be from a buggy video driver or printer driver, but i
could never nail it down...i switched the offending machines to nt with no
crashes now...

Quote:
> I have a VFP 6.0 application (Service Pack3) and lately many of the users
> have been encountering not "enough memory to complete this operation"
error.
> My question for those that have experience with this error message, what
is
> usually the cause of this error.  In addition, could it have something to
do
> with the size of this application.  When this application was originally
> release, it was only 4MB, now it has grown to over 10.5 MB exe.  This
> application is running on a Novell Netware 4.11 environment with over 225
> concurrent clients running either Window 98 (90% of all Clients), NT 4.0,
or
> Windows 2000.  The majority of the Windows 98 Clients are running with
32MB
> Ram, 64MB Ram for Win NT 4.0 Machines, 128MB Ram Windows 2000 Machines.
Any
> help in this matter would be grealty appreciated.

> Ralph.

Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 There is not enough memory to complete this operation
Ralph,

You could do a DISPLAY MEMORY TO <MyFile> at critical places in the program.
Examine the contents to see if you have any unwanted or orphaned
variables/objects, etc..

HTH,

Marc

Quote:
> All my forms are private data sessions, and I only using about 5 public
> variables.  I assume that when you leave a form with a private data
sessions
> or a procedure for that matter, that all local vars, arrays are being
> released automatically.  Is there a way to make sure that this is indeed
> being done, more importantly that the treeviews and listviews are being
> totally released from memory when you exit out a form.

> Thanks in advance for your input,

> Ralph.

> > Ralph,

> > Each of the controls you mentioned derive and store their values in
local
> > machine memory, or disk cache. Due the fact that you make 'extensive'
use
> of
> > these controls I would imagine that this may be the root of the problem.
> > Review your code and make sure you are releasing whatever vars/arrays
you
> > can whenever possible.
> > If the cause of the problem is insuffienct RAM on the machines. I would
> > recommend 128MB for the 9x platforms, and 256 for NT/2K.

> > HTH,

> > Marc

> > > Hi Rick,

> > > Thanks for responding to my post. The only other application that they
> run
> > > is WordPro, but that is only so often.  This error occurs with or
> without
> > > WordPro Loaded.  One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous
post
> is
> > > that I make extensive use of the Treeview, listview, and imagecontrol.
> > am
> > > not sure if that has an effect, but it would notheless be a massive
> > > undertaken if I had to go back and rewrite all these forms without
those
> > > Active X controls.

> > > Ralph.

> > > amount
> > specific
> > Next,
> > > error
> in
> > > use

> > > users
> operation"
> > what
> something
> > originally
> This
> over
> > > 225
NT
> > > 4.0,
> with
> > Machines.

Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VFP7 will not open (There is not enough memory to complete this operation)

2. not enough memory to complete this operation

3. error - There is not enough memory to complete operation

4. Not enough memory to complete this operation - vfp 3.0

5. Not enough memory to complete operation

6. Not enough memory to complete operation...

7. Not enough memory to complete this task

8. VFP 3.0 - Not enough memory for this operation!?

9. Not enough memory error message - but there is plenty of memory

10. "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

11. "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

12. FPW2.5: "not enough memory"