Converting .SPR to .SCX
Author Message
 Converting .SPR to .SCX

I have just begun programming in Foxpro2.5 for DOS and I would like
to know if there is a way to convert .SPR screen programs to .SCX files.
I have created .SPR files using the screen generator and then edited and
made changes such as adding opens for additional databases. I would like
to get these changes incorporated into the .SCX files but have not found
a way to do so. I thought compile would do the trick but it does not seem to.
Any help would be appreciated.
--
David Anderson                  | voice:  (901)797-6383
Federal Express Corp.           | fax:    (901)797-6388

Mon, 01 Apr 1996 22:46:33 GMT
 Converting .SPR to .SCX

Quote:

>Subject: Converting .SPR to .SCX
>Date: 14 Oct 93 14:46:33 GMT
>I have just begun programming in Foxpro2.5 for DOS and I would like
>to know if there is a way to convert .SPR screen programs to .SCX files.
>I have created .SPR files using the screen generator and then edited and
>made changes such as adding opens for additional databases. I would like
>to get these changes incorporated into the .SCX files but have not found
>a way to do so. I thought compile would do the trick but it does not seem to.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>--
>David Anderson                  | voice:  (901)797-6383
>Federal Express Corp.           | fax:    (901)797-6388

Not really. I vaguely recall something about that on Compuserve.

However, you should NEVER modify the .SPR file. The .SPR file should be
though of as being object code (same as the result of compiling a "C"
program.) You CAN change it, but you shouldn't. Anything that you want to do
should be able to be done in the various snippets. I've been writing a pile
of Fox stuff, and with one exception have never had to modify an SPR ... the
Screen Builder lets me do anything I want to do.

The exception (and the reason I did it) was if for some reason the code
generated by the screen builder wasn't exactly what you wanted. (In my case,
I wanted to add some 3D effects in Windows, and a couple of other things. I
used the screen builder to get started, then hand modified the code. But I
normally avoid this like the plague).

*------------------------------------+----------------------*

|National Research Council of Canada |                      |
|Finance & Informatics Services      |                      |
|M60, Montreal Road                  | PH: (613) 993-1649   |
|Ottawa, Canada  K1A 0R6             | FAX:(613) 954-2561   |
*------------------------------------+----------------------*

Wed, 03 Apr 1996 02:32:43 GMT
 Converting .SPR to .SCX

Quote:

>I have just begun programming in Foxpro2.5 for DOS and I would like
>to know if there is a way to convert .SPR screen programs to .SCX files.
>I have created .SPR files using the screen generator and then edited and
>made changes such as adding opens for additional databases. I would like
>to get these changes incorporated into the .SCX files but have not found
>a way to do so. I thought compile would do the trick but it does not seem to.
>Any help would be appreciated.

Bottom line:

SCX is a special DBF recording things you do in the screen generator
SPR is a program listing generated from the SCX
SPX is the compiled rpogram.

If you want your changes kept, make them in the SCX.  For instance,
to open additional databases, bring up the screen, go into Window/View,
and open them.  Then go to Screen/Screen Layout, and click on the
Save Environment button.  Then re-generate your program.  Works
like a charm.

To change settings such as CENTURY, put a SET xxxx ON/OFF/etc. statement
in the Setup code for that screen.

You should never have to modify an SPR for any reason, unless you
are an advanced programmer with advanced needs.

--
            The only variable that is really keeping down
               health care costs is the number of DOAs.

Thu, 04 Apr 1996 05:10:44 GMT

1. Convert .spr to .scx

2. Summary: .spr to .scx retro-generators

3. Can you go from .spr to .scx?

4. CONVRT .SPR code back to .SCX????

5. spr to scx

6. Help: .spr -> .scx, .sct

7. How to create a SPR file from a form(SCX FILE)

8. FPW26: conversion spr.file --> scx.file

9. Seeking SPR->SCX/SCT utility

10. SCX to SPR for VFP6

11. Converting .spx to .spr?

12. How to convert SPX to SPR?