How do you learn Fox Xbase Programming?
Author Message
 How do you learn Fox Xbase Programming?

Is there a good book for learning Xbase programming for FoxPro 2.6
Windows?  I have knowledge of languages like BASIC and Pascal, but
I am having troubles in FoxPro.  I would like something that would
lead you through the creation of a real relational database app.

Tue, 19 Aug 1997 02:17:17 GMT
 How do you learn Fox Xbase Programming?

Quote:

>Is there a good book for learning Xbase programming for FoxPro 2.6
>Windows?  I have knowledge of languages like BASIC and PASCAL, but
>I am having troubles in FoxPro.  I would like something that would
>lead you through the creation of a real relational database app.

Have you gone thru the tutorial book and program examples.  I avoided this
and still haven't done enough of it.  But I have discovered that many of the
nftty things I wanted to do and was struggling with were right there in the
sample programs.  And then I wished I had taken the time with them earlier.

Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:48:59 GMT
 How do you learn Fox Xbase Programming?

Quote:
>>Is there a good book for learning Xbase programming for FoxPro 2.6
>>Windows?  I have knowledge of languages like BASIC and PASCAL, but
>>I am having troubles in FoxPro.  I would like something that would
>>lead you through the creation of a real relational database app.

>Have you gone thru the tutorial book and program examples.  I avoided this
>and still haven't done enough of it.  But I have discovered that many of the
>nftty things I wanted to do and was struggling with were right there in the
>sample programs.  And then I wished I had taken the time with them earlier.

The second part is good advice.  I was misled many times over by reading the
numerous "advice" books.  In the end the Foxpro Manuals themselves were the
best tutorial.

One difficulty I had is the fact that most of Xbase ignores good programming
practice.  Only the first four characters are used for commands (looked at).
Also the lack of true variable types is awful.  It forces you to adopt some
variant of hungarian typing system (i.e. lpsHvar for a variable name).

I am very interested to see how the new object oriented extensions were
done.  I am imagining yet another extension to the 1981 Dbase syntax.

Just tolerate it because once you get up to speed, Foxpro is great.

Sun, 24 Aug 1997 01:15:47 GMT
 How do you learn Fox Xbase Programming?

Quote:

>Is there a good book for learning Xbase programming for FoxPro 2.6
>Windows?  I have knowledge of languages like BASIC and PASCAL, but
>I am having troubles in FoxPro.  I would like something that would
>lead you through the creation of a real relational database app.

Allan,

Trust me on this one, if you have any kind of skill at all at either
Pascal or BASIC, you can pick up any Using FoxPro book from your
local bookstore and learn enough XBase to get you started (and
the some)  The biggest pain in the ass about an "object oriented"
system like FP is learning (and remembering) where various
pieces of code (ie: global variable declarations) are generated
FROM.  XBase itself follows a fairly standard control pattern
(IF, DO CASE, DO WHILE, etc.)  Of course, compared to C++ or
Pascal syntax,  I have found XBase a little on the retarded side
when it comes to variable reference and whatnot, but on the
whole it's fairly straight forward.  I've heard horror stories
about learning SQL, but so far the only "fun" part about that
has been optimizing the expressions (it also has a very English
control structure)  The relational database thing is addressed
by every FoxPro book I've ever thumbed through.  They spit out
some examples which are enough to give a person a good idea
data normalization and table linking (it's not as cryptic as this
sentence makes it sound).  After that it's a little common sense,
and practice.   I guess the only real stumbling block I've
feen fad with is the networking environment thing (never had to write
multi-user apps before :-\ )  Anyway, good luck.  Don't let it kick
yer ass... it's ultimately a very quick and painless way to program
a database, and (though I'm not trivializing others' pain :)  alot
of the problems I've seen here are either addressed in the reference
manuals or the big Using Foxpro 2.5 (insert fanfare) that I bought
at the local bookstore!  Goodluck!

-Stephen Spencer

Fri, 22 Aug 1997 22:45:57 GMT
 How do you learn Fox Xbase Programming?

Quote:

> Is there a good book for learning Xbase programming for FoxPro 2.6
> Windows?  I have knowledge of languages like BASIC and PASCAL, but
> I am having troubles in FoxPro.  I would like something that would
> lead you through the creation of a real relational database app.

Allan,

Your basic options are:

o Training Courses
o Books
o Magazines
o Users Groups
o Compuserve
o c.d.x.f

****************
Training Courses
****************

Courses can be expensive but they are well worth it if you go to
a good company. Here are some companies that offer training.

o Flash Creative Management, Inc. - 201-489-2500 - Call Miriam Weinstein

Let me make a quick plug for our course because I know them best. All the
courses are hands on with some of the best instructors in the industry.
The focus of the courses are applications development and cover the gamut
from intro to advances as well as a course called "Putting it all
together" which basically focuses on: "Well, you have FoxPro and all
these utilities out there, now how do I put all this stuff together to
get an application out of it."

If you're interested in Visual FoxPro training, we are offering that as
we speak. Attendees at these classes will also get a copy of the
VFP marketing beta.

Other companies that offer training:

o Microendeavors - That's George Goley's company and they're in Philly
(sorry, but I do not have their number handy). They also provide excellent
training. They have begun advertising VFP courses but I have not heard when
they are starting.

o Application Developers - 1-800-578-2062

*****
Books
*****

There are a spate of books on the market. Here are some authors to look
for (not in any particular order):

o Pat Adams
o Steve Arnott
o George Goley
o Yair Alan Griver
o Lisa Slater

Those are the names that come to my mind off the top of my head. I am
sure there are more that I am forgetting (my apologies to them). The
point is, find a book with a style you are comfortable with. You won't be
sorry.

*********
Magazines
*********

Here are some publications that I think you would find very
helpful. These provide a low cost way of learning tons of information.
Specifically:

o FoxPro Advisor - 1-800-336-6060
o FoxTalk (PInnacle Publishing) - 1-206-251-1900
o Cobb Group - FoxPro Developer's Journal (Sorry, don't have this # handy)

***********
User Groups
***********

User groups are a wonderful resource and I would not minimize their benefit.
I enjoy the meetings and always learn something from them.

You should find one in your area.

**********
Electronic
**********

Finally, there is CI$ and Comp.Databases.Xbase.Fox. These are wonderful
places to ask questions and get info.

I hope I have helped you in some way. I really wish you the best in your
quest. Not so long ago, I was in a similar boat only back then there was
no support available for someone getting into the business. User groups
was not that prevalent in Dbase/FoxBase/Clipper (I was using Dbase II
when I started, then moved up to Dbase III, then Clipper, and Finally
FoxBase and have stayed with Fox since).

Please feel free to call upon me if I can be of some help to you.

Good luck.

Menachem Bazian, CPA
Flash Creative Management, Inc.

+---------------------------------+--------------------------+

| 1060 Main St. River Edge, NJ    | 201-489-2500             |

Sat, 06 Sep 1997 23:08:24 GMT

1. Help - learning xbase

2. How did you learn to program FoxPro?

3. Newbie: which to learn first: OOP or procedural programming

4. Doing events during a long-running program

5. Is Access easy for Fox programmers to learn?

6. Learn Fox

7. Learning Fox...

8. HELP! Learn Visual Fox 3 / 5

9. ??video or audio tape for intermediate to learn fox

10. HELP! Learn Visual Fox 3 / 5

11. How are the CompuServe Fox Forums Doing?

12. Plase help need to learn fox pro urgent!`