Reasons to convince a customer to upgrade from Ver 5 runtime to Ver 7 Runtime.
Author Message
 Reasons to convince a customer to upgrade from Ver 5 runtime to Ver 7 Runtime.

Hi all,

I've been looking at the VFP 7 website and I cannot see compelling reasons
to upgrade a customer  from Ver 5 runtime.

I know that Ver 5 crashes frequently in 2000 / XP as I have witnesed it
myself. Are there these poblems on NT? Are there known memory usage
problems? I'm more interested in Speed and Reliability as these do make my
application look better!

I have a customer who is using Ver 5 and he needs to produce a business case
as there is a subcontractor envolved and there will be an expense. We're not
charging to send out a runtime update disk!!!

Obviously I would like to just have Ver 7 code sitting on my network as it
is a pain updating VFP 5 source as well as the VFP7 version.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:33:23 GMT
 Reasons to convince a customer to upgrade from Ver 5 runtime to Ver 7 Runtime.
Does the VFp5 code you have run when recompiled in VFP8 or VFP7?
-Anders

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I've been looking at the VFP 7 website and I cannot see compelling reasons
> to upgrade a customer  from Ver 5 runtime.

> I know that Ver 5 crashes frequently in 2000 / XP as I have witnesed it
> myself. Are there these poblems on NT? Are there known memory usage
> problems? I'm more interested in Speed and Reliability as these do make my
> application look better!

> I have a customer who is using Ver 5 and he needs to produce a business
case
> as there is a subcontractor envolved and there will be an expense. We're
not
> charging to send out a runtime update disk!!!

> Obviously I would like to just have Ver 7 code sitting on my network as it
> is a pain updating VFP 5 source as well as the VFP7 version.

> Thanks in advance

> Rob

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:53:23 GMT
 Reasons to convince a customer to upgrade from Ver 5 runtime to Ver 7 Runtime.
Yes it does but not the reverse. Menus are different when created with 7.
It's convincing the customer to upgrade to Ver 7 runtime thats the problem.

Quote:
> Does the VFp5 code you have run when recompiled in VFP8 or VFP7?
> -Anders

> > Hi all,

> > I've been looking at the VFP 7 website and I cannot see compelling
reasons
> > to upgrade a customer  from Ver 5 runtime.

> > I know that Ver 5 crashes frequently in 2000 / XP as I have witnesed it
> > myself. Are there these poblems on NT? Are there known memory usage
> > problems? I'm more interested in Speed and Reliability as these do make
my
> > application look better!

> > I have a customer who is using Ver 5 and he needs to produce a business
> case
> > as there is a subcontractor envolved and there will be an expense. We're
> not
> > charging to send out a runtime update disk!!!

> > Obviously I would like to just have Ver 7 code sitting on my network as
it
> > is a pain updating VFP 5 source as well as the VFP7 version.

> > Thanks in advance

> > Rob

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:56:31 GMT
 Reasons to convince a customer to upgrade from Ver 5 runtime to Ver 7 Runtime.
Rob,
First, you can tell him that by going to 7.0 he may need more diskspace on the file server. Due to a change in how indexes are created, CDX's can be many times larger (See below). On the other hand somethings are faster - especially development if he's paying for your time.

Because I didn't have any "large" data files around I grabbed a customer's table that was big enough to test the CDX size under multiple FoxPros that would have real-world data. This is a FPW 2.6a created Free table (<duh>) that had 7 single field keys. I deleted TAG ALL and recreated all the keys again in a simple .PRG. I ran each version twice (in a different order), to make sure the program / size wasn't influenced by what was run previously - it wasn't.

FP Version           .CDX Actual Size
Original
  (FPW 2.6a)            2,457,600
FPW 2.6a                 2,184,192
VFP 5.0 SP3            2,184,192
VFP 6.0 SP5            2,184,192
VFP 7.0 SP1            4,221,440
VFP 8.0                   2,083,840

So at least in this case, 8.0 is the "tightest" index and 7.0 SP1 is the "loosest".

Rick

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I've been looking at the VFP 7 website and I cannot see compelling reasons
> to upgrade a customer  from Ver 5 runtime.

> I know that Ver 5 crashes frequently in 2000 / XP as I have witnesed it
> myself. Are there these poblems on NT? Are there known memory usage
> problems? I'm more interested in Speed and Reliability as these do make my
> application look better!

> I have a customer who is using Ver 5 and he needs to produce a business case
> as there is a subcontractor envolved and there will be an expense. We're not
> charging to send out a runtime update disk!!!

> Obviously I would like to just have Ver 7 code sitting on my network as it
> is a pain updating VFP 5 source as well as the VFP7 version.

> Thanks in advance

> Rob

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:32:48 GMT
 Reasons to convince a customer to upgrade from Ver 5 runtime to Ver 7 Runtime.
Rick

A compelling reason to upgrade to 8!!!

We've only recently (ok about a year) moved to 7 as we have a large install
base of our software. With the different versions it gets harder to manage
who's got what. But we're trying to get everyone up to 7 as I feel that it's
more reliable and the IDE is better!

Intelisense has opened a whole new avenue of programming for me, I can see
what an object has just by hitting the period key. (thankyou Microsoft)

Ok are there any other reasons to upgrade my client to ver 7 runtime? I know
he can't run a ver 5 compiled program with Ver7 runtime.

Rob

Rob,
First, you can tell him that by going to 7.0 he may need more diskspace on
the file server. Due to a change in how indexes are created, CDX's can be
many times larger (See below). On the other hand somethings are faster -
especially development if he's paying for your time.

Because I didn't have any "large" data files around I grabbed a customer's
table that was big enough to test the CDX size under multiple FoxPros that
would have real-world data. This is a FPW 2.6a created Free table (<duh>)
that had 7 single field keys. I deleted TAG ALL and recreated all the keys
again in a simple .PRG. I ran each version twice (in a different order), to
make sure the program / size wasn't influenced by what was run previously -
it wasn't.

FP Version           .CDX Actual Size
Original
  (FPW 2.6a)            2,457,600
FPW 2.6a                 2,184,192
VFP 5.0 SP3            2,184,192
VFP 6.0 SP5            2,184,192
VFP 7.0 SP1            4,221,440
VFP 8.0                   2,083,840

So at least in this case, 8.0 is the "tightest" index and 7.0 SP1 is the
"loosest".

Rick

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I've been looking at the VFP 7 website and I cannot see compelling reasons
> to upgrade a customer  from Ver 5 runtime.

> I know that Ver 5 crashes frequently in 2000 / XP as I have witnesed it
> myself. Are there these poblems on NT? Are there known memory usage
> problems? I'm more interested in Speed and Reliability as these do make my
> application look better!

> I have a customer who is using Ver 5 and he needs to produce a business
case
> as there is a subcontractor envolved and there will be an expense. We're
not
> charging to send out a runtime update disk!!!

> Obviously I would like to just have Ver 7 code sitting on my network as it
> is a pain updating VFP 5 source as well as the VFP7 version.

> Thanks in advance

> Rob

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:56:25 GMT
 Reasons to convince a customer to upgrade from Ver 5 runtime to Ver 7 Runtime.
Hi Rob:

I would not move to VFP 7.0 since VFP 8.0 is released.  The biggest reason
to upgrade is that VFP 8.0 has many bug fixes when compared to VFP 5.0.
Since I don't know what functionality your application uses, I cannot
comment on specific product enhancements or whether they would help you.

One important consideration in moving to a VFP 8.0 is that Microsoft
discontinues mainline support for VFP 5.0 on June 30, 2003.  Once support
is discontinued, you will not be able to open support issues with Microsoft
PSS. So, you have to ask yourself if you feel comfortable in using an
unsupported product.

For more information on the support life cycle for Microsoft Products, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;lifecycle&sd=gn

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
   - VFP5 Mainstream Support retires June 30th, 2003
   - VFP6 Mainstream Support retires Sep. 30th, 2003

Quote:
>Hi all,
>I've been looking at the VFP 7 website and I cannot see compelling reasons
>to upgrade a customer  from Ver 5 runtime.
>I know that Ver 5 crashes frequently in 2000 / XP as I have witnesed it
>myself. Are there these poblems on NT? Are there known memory usage
>problems? I'm more interested in Speed and Reliability as these do make my
>application look better!
>I have a customer who is using Ver 5 and he needs to produce a business
case
>as there is a subcontractor envolved and there will be an expense. We're
not
>charging to send out a runtime update disk!!!
>Obviously I would like to just have Ver 7 code sitting on my network as it
>is a pain updating VFP 5 source as well as the VFP7 version.
>Thanks in advance
>Rob

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:25:27 GMT

1. FOXpro Ver 2.5 for Windows, Prof ver: New

2. Report Writer Ver 8.0 to Ver 10.0

3. Database Ver 5 to Ver 3

4. upgrade to ver 3.0b

5. upgrade 3.0 runtime to 5

6. Having problem w/smartdrv.exe in Foxpro? (runtime ver)

7. Poosible problem running a ver 6 app in ver 5?

8. Help! update database from ver 3 to ver 5 via exe?

9. distribution kit for ver 2.5

10. Installation VFP ver 7.0

11. Look For A Hotel software (Demo Ver.)