Error 109: "Record is in use" in VFP TRANSACTION
Author Message
 Error 109: "Record is in use" in VFP TRANSACTION

Hello,

In my application, I need to save a parent record and it's detail (child)
records.  Potentially, there can be a couple hundred (or more) child
records.  The child records contain the sum of data gathered from hundreds
of other existing records in the database.  What I would like to do, is use
a single transaction to save the header and detail records, and save the ID
number of the detail records in a field in the other records which make up
the detail records.  The net result is a transaction in which a couple
hundred new records are added, and several hundred, or even thousands, of
existing records are updated.  As an aside, I know that a transaction should
be as compact (atomic) as possible, but the existing records which I want to
update are system-generated, so the possibility record contention between
multiple users is remote, and unlikely.  At any rate, this all works fine
when the data is on my local hard drive, and, I'm told, when the data is on
NT Server.  However, when the data is on a Novell Netware 5 server, after
several hundred records have been added/updated, one of my calls to
TABLEUPDATE() fails, and I get error 109: "Record is in use".  My tables are
all opened shared, using optimistic table buffering, and I am the only one
accessing the data.  I am also confident that each existing record is
updated exactly once, so that I am not even updating the same record more
than once.  If anyone could shed any light on this, I would really
appreciate it.
I am running VFP 6.0, SP 3, on Windows 98 (1st edition), with a 100base-T
connection to a Novell Netware 5 server.

Thanks.
--
Mike Potjer
Optimal Solutions, Inc.

Fri, 11 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 109: "Record is in use" in VFP TRANSACTION
Mike,

Your post contains multiple, compound questions, each of which requires
multiple, compound answers for every possible environment.

There are lots of us eager to help you, but it would be best if you could
distill your problem into a single question. Then we'll take it from there.
(Flowcharting).

--
Brett Slattery

Quote:
> Hello,

> In my application, I need to save a parent record and it's detail (child)
> records.  Potentially, there can be a couple hundred (or more) child
> records.  The child records contain the sum of data gathered from hundreds
> of other existing records in the database.  What I would like to do, is
use
> a single transaction to save the header and detail records, and save the
ID
> number of the detail records in a field in the other records which make up
> the detail records.  The net result is a transaction in which a couple
> hundred new records are added, and several hundred, or even thousands, of
> existing records are updated.  As an aside, I know that a transaction
should
> be as compact (atomic) as possible, but the existing records which I want
> update are system-generated, so the possibility record contention between
> multiple users is remote, and unlikely.  At any rate, this all works fine
> when the data is on my local hard drive, and, I'm told, when the data is
on
> NT Server.  However, when the data is on a Novell Netware 5 server, after
> several hundred records have been added/updated, one of my calls to
> TABLEUPDATE() fails, and I get error 109: "Record is in use".  My tables
are
> all opened shared, using optimistic table buffering, and I am the only one
> accessing the data.  I am also confident that each existing record is
> updated exactly once, so that I am not even updating the same record more
> than once.  If anyone could shed any light on this, I would really
> appreciate it.
> I am running VFP 6.0, SP 3, on Windows 98 (1st edition), with a 100base-T
> connection to a Novell Netware 5 server.

> Thanks.
> --
> Mike Potjer
> Optimal Solutions, Inc.

Sat, 12 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Record is used by another (109) error using REMOTE VIEW CURSORS

2. "record out of range" error message

3. "Begin/End Transaction" Question

4. Problem with SQLSetProp(n,"TRANSACTIONS",2)

5. Error message "Virtual Function Error"

6. Error 1958 : "Error loading printer driver"

7. Error loading: "<error>". (1881)

8. "Function sequence error" Vfp

9. ODBC Error "Error Reading File ..."

10. Record locking "bug"?

11. "Record is not locked." on TABLEUPDATE()

12. "Record Out of Range"