VFP8 remote views connection handle problem
Author Message
 VFP8 remote views connection handle problem

Remote views no longer use the same connection handle
even if they are set to share connection. They were the
same in VFP7. Open 2 views and see what cursorgetprop
("connecthandle") returns, they no longer share the same
handle in VFP8. To MSSQL these look like separate users
and record locking problems can occur. Can anyone else
confirm this ?

Sat, 22 Oct 2005 02:06:15 GMT
 VFP8 remote views connection handle problem
Bill,
When I open two different remote views (using the same connection) two
different cursorgetprop("connectionhandle") values are returned...and I'm
using VFP 7.
However, the cursorgetprop("connectname") property is the same...maybe you
should use this instead.
HTH
-Bruce

Quote:
> Remote views no longer use the same connection handle
> even if they are set to share connection. They were the
> same in VFP7. Open 2 views and see what cursorgetprop
> ("connecthandle") returns, they no longer share the same
> handle in VFP8. To MSSQL these look like separate users
> and record locking problems can occur. Can anyone else
> confirm this ?

Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:32:59 GMT
 VFP8 remote views connection handle problem
Bill

The changes in these matters are described pretty extensively in the docs
under in the topic USE .. [CONNSTRING cConnectionString |
(m.nStatementHandle) ] and under the heading
"Enhanced SQL Pass-Through Functionality and Language Improvements"
It discusses the difference between 'statement handles' and 'connection
handles'
There's a passage which says
<<Visual FoxPro supports overriding the default connection for a remote view
and requires the new m.nStatementHandle parameter for supporting shared
connections in the USE Command. For more information, see the USE Command.
When you include the SHARE keyword with the CONNECTION clause in the CREATE
SQL VIEW command, Visual FoxPro uses new statement handle for the shared
connection, if one is available. If a shared connection is not available,
Visual FoxPro creates a shared connection when the view opens, which you
might be able to share with other views. For more information, see CREATE
SQL VIEW Command.>>

-Anders

Quote:
> Remote views no longer use the same connection handle
> even if they are set to share connection. They were the
> same in VFP7. Open 2 views and see what cursorgetprop
> ("connecthandle") returns, they no longer share the same
> handle in VFP8. To MSSQL these look like separate users
> and record locking problems can occur. Can anyone else
> confirm this ?

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:26:55 GMT
 VFP8 remote views connection handle problem
Oops! I missed these new features. That solved the
problem. Thanks for all the help on this.
Bill
Quote:

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:31:14 GMT

1. Remote View Problem -> Connection Busy

2. Connection problem with Remote Views in a Data Environment of a Form

3. VFP8 Remote view gotcha

4. Remote views in VFP8

5. Remote views in VFP8 (maximum open cursors exceeded)

6. How do I handle dates from remote views?

7. TIP: handling on the fly remote views

8. Connection / Remote View

9. SQL Connection with remote views

10. Single remote view using multiple connection

11. Single remote view with multiple connection

12. Remote views and managing connections