Flashing grids with comboboxes
Author Message
 Flashing grids with comboboxes

Is there any way to stop grids flashing when one or more
columns has a combo box. I've tried using lockscreen in
various places but cannot stop it flashing 3 or 4 times
each time you move down the rows.

I'm trying to avoid using views as I know that causes a
problem if we subsequently change the file structure.

Thanks for any advice.

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:00:10 GMT
 Flashing grids with comboboxes

Quote:
> Is there any way to stop grids flashing when one or more
> columns has a combo box. I've tried using lockscreen in
> various places but cannot stop it flashing 3 or 4 times
> each time you move down the rows.

> I'm trying to avoid using views as I know that causes a
> problem if we subsequently change the file structure.

I cannot reproduce that behavior here.  VFP6 SP5 on
Windows 2000 Pro.  Scrolling a grid with a combo in
one of the columns (sparse setting makes no difference),
has no flicker.

Could be a video driver problem.  Download the latest
video driver for your card and see if that fixes it.

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:58:34 GMT
 Flashing grids with comboboxes
Bernie,

What sort of code do you have executing during record movement.

Just because you have to keep views in synch is not a good reason to avoid
them.

--
df - Microsoft MVP FoxPro http://www.geocities.com/df_foxpro

Quote:
> Is there any way to stop grids flashing when one or more
> columns has a combo box. I've tried using lockscreen in
> various places but cannot stop it flashing 3 or 4 times
> each time you move down the rows.

> I'm trying to avoid using views as I know that causes a
> problem if we subsequently change the file structure.

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:08:58 GMT
 Flashing grids with comboboxes

Quote:
> I'm trying to avoid using views as I know that causes a
> problem if we subsequently change the file structure.

Do you avoid views because VFP doesn't update a field name in a view when
you change the field name in an underlying table?  I'd suggest using SDT,
which will handle this and many other things for you (www.stonefield.com).
As for the flashing, could you explain that a little better?  I use
comboboxes in grids and never see this (VFP 5, 6, 7).  I agree that a good
place to start is checking your video driver and upgrading to the latest
version, if you're not current.

Quote:
> Is there any way to stop grids flashing when one or more
> columns has a combo box. I've tried using lockscreen in
> various places but cannot stop it flashing 3 or 4 times
> each time you move down the rows.

> I'm trying to avoid using views as I know that causes a
> problem if we subsequently change the file structure.

> Thanks for any advice.

Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:21:37 GMT
 Flashing grids with comboboxes
It's only on slower machines that this happens. I'm using
VFP7 SP1 and the machines that have the problem are below
600mhz speed and 128 mb ram.

There is some code to highlight the currently selected
grid row but putting lockscreens around this code makes no
difference.

Quote:

Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:50:31 GMT
 Flashing grids with comboboxes

Quote:
> It's only on slower machines that this happens. I'm using
> VFP7 SP1 and the machines that have the problem are below
> 600mhz speed and 128 mb ram.

> There is some code to highlight the currently selected
> grid row but putting lockscreens around this code makes no
> difference.

To test, make a form with just a grid on it, place
a combo in one of the grid fields, and associate the
grid with a table.  No special code, no hilighting,
nothing else.

See if scrolling this flickers.  If not, then it's
not due to the CPU speed or your video driver.  It is
most likely code you have running in your grid's
Before or After RowColChange methods or elsewhere.

If it does flicker, then it is likely your video
drivers.  600MHz and 128MB of RAM is plenty to
get a grid to scroll.  I have rather complex grids
scrolling fine on slower machines than that.

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:12:31 GMT
 Flashing grids with comboboxes
The suggestion from TRW is good.  Also, what's the code that highlights the
current row?

Quote:
> It's only on slower machines that this happens. I'm using
> VFP7 SP1 and the machines that have the problem are below
> 600mhz speed and 128 mb ram.

> There is some code to highlight the currently selected
> grid row but putting lockscreens around this code makes no
> difference.

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:59:00 GMT

1. VFP - Grid with 3 comboboxes - and a deadline!

2. Grids and Comboboxes

3. comboboxes on a grid

4. comboboxes in grid problem

5. Flashing fields in grids

6. Vfp 3.0/5.0 Incremental Search in ComboBoxes

7. Question about comboboxes.

8. Using the enter button in Comboboxes

9. Submenus in list/comboboxes, HELP!

10. Any Input? - 2d request: comboboxes

11. comboboxes not displaying correctly.

12. Binding Comboboxes to numerics