General Questions
Author Message
 General Questions

Hello group
I am systems administrator at a hotel.  We are running a VFP based software
application.  I have Windows NT server and 12 clients.  11 Clients are Win95
and one is Win98.  The server is dedicated to this one and only software
application.  All clients meet or exceed the software manufactuers'
reccomended requirements for memory, etc.

PROBLEM is the clients freeze up continually while they are attempting to
enter and modify data on the system.  The hourglass icon appears and remains
until the computer is turned all of the way off.

Could this be a Windows problem?  Should I upgrade the clients to NT Clients
or to Windows 98?

**What does anyone know about netbouie?**

Please help if you can, I warn you though I am not an expert!

thanks
Misty

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 General Questions
If you have experienced this problem after some months/years of using the
product..

What are the sizes of your dbf files? What sort of a network do you have.
Try to find out the network traffic by installing net watcher.

If this problem has started just after installing the product, then contact
the product developer.

Best regards
Ramesh Madhupalli

Quote:
> Hello group
> I am systems administrator at a hotel.  We are running a VFP based
software
> application.  I have Windows NT server and 12 clients.  11 Clients are
Win95
> and one is Win98.  The server is dedicated to this one and only software
> application.  All clients meet or exceed the software manufactuers'
> reccomended requirements for memory, etc.

> PROBLEM is the clients freeze up continually while they are attempting to
> enter and modify data on the system.  The hourglass icon appears and
remains
> until the computer is turned all of the way off.

> Could this be a Windows problem?  Should I upgrade the clients to NT
Clients
> or to Windows 98?

> **What does anyone know about netbouie?**

> Please help if you can, I warn you though I am not an expert!

> thanks
> Misty

Sat, 20 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 General Questions
Hi,

It could be a Windows problem. The users should monitor how many free
resources they have in the Windows, Help, About menu. If the resources get
too low, the machine will lock. This can be the result of having too many
programs open at the same time. Also, check to make sure they do not have a
large number of .TMP files in their Windows\Temp Folder. These file can
accumulate rapidly when the machine freezes and requires a cold boot.

Best regards,
Tom

Quote:
> Hello group
> I am systems administrator at a hotel.  We are running a VFP based
software
> application.  I have Windows NT server and 12 clients.  11 Clients are
Win95
> and one is Win98.  The server is dedicated to this one and only software
> application.  All clients meet or exceed the software manufactuers'
> reccomended requirements for memory, etc.

> PROBLEM is the clients freeze up continually while they are attempting to
> enter and modify data on the system.  The hourglass icon appears and
remains
> until the computer is turned all of the way off.

> Could this be a Windows problem?  Should I upgrade the clients to NT
Clients
> or to Windows 98?

> **What does anyone know about netbouie?**

> Please help if you can, I warn you though I am not an expert!

> thanks
> Misty

Sat, 20 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. FoxPro General Questions

2. General Questions about Foxpro

3. General Question: Which is Better?

4. General questions on Visual FoxPro

5. General question on SourceSafe.

6. General Question - TCP/IP and Cable Modem

7. General Question

8. VFP 5.0a: General Questions

9. Report Writer - General Question

10. General Question about VFP