Put an Application in use while it's in development 
Author Message
 Put an Application in use while it's in development

Hi,
    I'm forced to let a Client use an APP while it's still in development.
The app is not already installed but I presume I'll be faced with many
problems like  1) Updating the database in term of structure;  2) Copying
the newest .EXE /.APP;  and so on.

Any advice will greatly be appreciated.

NB:  I'm using VFP 6.0 Professional.
                                                                Thank you in
advance..       Enode



Mon, 24 Feb 2003 00:01:07 GMT  
 Put an Application in use while it's in development


Quote:
> Hi,
>     I'm forced to let a Client use an APP while it's still in development.
> The app is not already installed but I presume I'll be faced with many
> problems like
>1) Updating the database in term of structure;

Stonefield Database Toolkit - www.stonefield.com

 >2) Copying

Quote:
> the newest .EXE /.APP;  and so on.

We have in our contract that if they want support, they must provide at
least a PC Anywhere connection with access to the machine where the EXE/APP
will reside  - with full access to the application directories. That allows
us to fix data issues and update the application when necessary. They don't
have to leave the PC Anywhere connection up all the time, it just has to be
up for us to look at the problem.

You could also ship new installation (Setup) files or just the EXE (if
that's all that's needed) by e-mail and let them put it in.

I would recommend something like my first suggestion, since this will be
development version and you may have to fix data that isn't going to be
wiped out.

Quote:
> Any advice will greatly be appreciated.

> NB:  I'm using VFP 6.0 Professional.
>                                                                 Thank you
in
> advance..       Enode



Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:09:43 GMT  
 Put an Application in use while it's in development
Hi Trey,

Quote:
> We have in our contract that if they want support, they must provide at
> least a PC Anywhere connection with access to the machine where the
EXE/APP
> will reside  - with full access to the application directories.

Do you know of a good resource for sample contracts
that can be used as a template?  I have a lawyer and
 accountant and, and :)  But, I'd like to be prepared
when I see my lawyer about this....

I started my own company last year and have been working
primarily with 2 clients.  I have an history with them - and
a contract hasn't been my biggest worry.  Now that I am
looking to take on a few more projects, I am concerned
about having contracts prepared.  Anything specific to
our kind of work?

TIA,

Maya Roselip

PS - My company is a NY State Domestic Corporation - Subchapter S


Quote:



> > Hi,
> >     I'm forced to let a Client use an APP while it's still in
development.
> > The app is not already installed but I presume I'll be faced with many
> > problems like

> >1) Updating the database in term of structure;

> Stonefield Database Toolkit - www.stonefield.com

>  >2) Copying
> > the newest .EXE /.APP;  and so on.

> We have in our contract that if they want support, they must provide at
> least a PC Anywhere connection with access to the machine where the
EXE/APP
> will reside  - with full access to the application directories. That
allows
> us to fix data issues and update the application when necessary. They
don't
> have to leave the PC Anywhere connection up all the time, it just has to
be
> up for us to look at the problem.

> You could also ship new installation (Setup) files or just the EXE (if
> that's all that's needed) by e-mail and let them put it in.

> I would recommend something like my first suggestion, since this will be
> development version and you may have to fix data that isn't going to be
> wiped out.

> > Any advice will greatly be appreciated.

> > NB:  I'm using VFP 6.0 Professional.
> >                                                                 Thank
you
> in
> > advance..       Enode



Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:51:11 GMT  
 Put an Application in use while it's in development

Enode,

 I've got two apps which evolve continuously.

What I have done is as follows:

(1) Once installed, just send a new exe

(2) In the database comment property I keep the version of vfp, the version
of the app and the database version
    (like this:
function GetVersion() && NEVER modify length !!!
             return left(version(4),2) + '.' + right(version(4),2) + ' ' ;
               + '000.000.001' + ' ' + '00021'
endfunc

(3) the app has a procedure OpenDatabase() which calls
CheckDatabaseVersion() which in turn compares the version info stored in the
database.comment with GetVersion()

(4) if the db_version > Right(GetVersion(),5)
        they use a 'newer' database which the current exe cannot handle,
quit opening the database
     if versions are equal, then ok

(5) if the version is lower then the db needs 'upgrading'
(sample code)
go through a series of procedure calls until the db version is ok( just keep
the whole history), ie add a table, alter table, ...
eg
    =BlankTriggers()    && of all tables, don't need them during the upgrade
    do while (thisdbversion < Right(GetVersion(),5) )
        do case
        case thisdbversion == '00000'
            thisdbversion = db_upgrade_00001()

        case thisdbversion == '00001'
            thisdbversion = db_upgrade_00002()
    .....
        ** a new version requires the writing of another procedure
        endcase
    enddo
    =RestoreDatabaseContents() && see (6)

(6) finally, I have an 'internal' table (same name as the database and
Included in the project) which holds
    - the stored procedures, source and object
    - all the trigger info, record validation rules
    - all relationship info ...

(7) prior to making an new exe I call a procedure SaveDatabaseContents()
which fills the 'internal' table

I do not claim that it is the best solution nor that it is foolproof but it
has worked for over two years now in more than 50 sites

If you are interested I am willing to post
    - the structure of the internal table
    - SaveDatabaseContents()
    - RestoreDatabaseContents()

The bottom line is:
- you just ship a new exe
- you never ever use the table designer, you just program new tables and
modification to tables in the db_upgrade_xxxxx()
- you can still use the referential integrity which gets transported to the
client's database with the Save- and RestoreDatabaseContent() via the
'internal' table
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------

| Hi,
|     I'm forced to let a Client use an APP while it's still in development.
| The app is not already installed but I presume I'll be faced with many
| problems like  1) Updating the database in term of structure;  2) Copying
| the newest .EXE /.APP;  and so on.
|
| Any advice will greatly be appreciated.
|
| NB:  I'm using VFP 6.0 Professional.
|                                                                 Thank you
in
| advance..       Enode
|
|
|



Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:03:30 GMT  
 Put an Application in use while it's in development


Quote:
> Hi Trey,

> > We have in our contract that if they want support, they must provide at
> > least a PC Anywhere connection with access to the machine where the
> EXE/APP
> > will reside  - with full access to the application directories.

> Do you know of a good resource for sample contracts
> that can be used as a template?  I have a lawyer and
>  accountant and, and :)  But, I'd like to be prepared
> when I see my lawyer about this....

No I don't - you might try over at the Universal Thread -
www.universalthread.com - and see if anyone there has any ideas.

Our clients haven't had any trouble with this clause. Our app resides in one
directory structure, so we don't have to have access to any other
directories but ours, so the security guys haven't gotten rankled.
Good luck!



Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:10:41 GMT  
 Put an Application in use while it's in development
Well I recommend Stonefield for keeping your data straight between them and
you.

As for the EXE, it really should be via a download off the web or you send
them a CD.

I have an emailer for a .NEW but we never use it.  <email attachment grows
by 300%>
__Stephen


Quote:
> Hi,
>     I'm forced to let a Client use an APP while it's still in development.
> The app is not already installed but I presume I'll be faced with many
> problems like  1) Updating the database in term of structure;  2) Copying
> the newest .EXE /.APP;  and so on.

> Any advice will greatly be appreciated.

> NB:  I'm using VFP 6.0 Professional.
>                                                                 Thank you
in
> advance..       Enode



Mon, 24 Feb 2003 05:28:07 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Put an Application in use while it's in development

2. VFP6, Palm OS Application, Symbol CSM 150 Scanner, Application Development

3. show application's icon when using ALT+TAB

4. Putting my application into systray

5. putting bmp's in my apps

6. Labels Don't Stay Put

7. Label controls on a form won't stay put

8. VFP6: Setup Wizard doesn't Put Icon in Programs Folder

9. VFP6: Setup Wizard doesn't put Shortcut in Programs Folder

10. where do I put my bmp's????

11. Command window won't stay put

12. Put picture into general field, - still dos'nt work

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software