windows image acquisition 
Author Message
 windows image acquisition
Does anyone have an example of using VBS or something to take pictures?  I
want a persons picture on a form and I would like to press a button (very
few steps) on the form to get it.  I am just upgrading to VFP 7.0 and will
be going to 8.0 soon. If the tools are there please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Paul Temple
Temple Systems, Inc.



Mon, 29 Aug 2005 05:34:07 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
Hi Paul:

I want to make sure I understand your question.  Do you want to take a
picture by pressing a button, fire a camera connected to the computer, and
then display the resulting digital picture or do you want to simply view a
currently stored picture in bitmap, Jpg or other format on the form?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Does anyone have an example of using VBS or something to take pictures?  I
>want a persons picture on a form and I would like to press a button (very
>few steps) on the form to get it.  I am just upgrading to VFP 7.0 and will
>be going to 8.0 soon. If the tools are there please let me know.
>Thanks in advance.
>Paul Temple
>Temple Systems, Inc.



Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:03:12 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
Thanks for replying Lee.

I want to press a button and take a picture from a USB web cam like the
Intel CS330, the Logitech, or something like it. In 98 I used the Kodak
image tools but they're gone now and it looks like Microsoft's is better, if
I just knew how to use it. I went to MSDN and found the VBS stuff, but its
just snippets that I don't know how to tie together or if everything I need
is told there.

With the Kodak controls I had a seperate form called 'camera' and when you
pressed the button on the 'place picture on this form' form, it opened the
'camera' with the USB video feed. When you liked the pose, you pressed the
'take picture button' and when you pressed save, the 'camera' saved it in a
temp file and then did an append general into a field in the client file.
Closing the 'camera' revealed the picture in the previous form.

I think I don't want to store the picture in the field anymore. I will make
a directory called 'pictures' and put 0000001.jpg (the client id) or
whatever in there. The new code doesn't have to imitate the old code, it
just needs to accomplish the same (roughly) results.

Am I the only one that wants something like this? Seems like it would be
great for items in a catalogue, employees, clients, etc.

P.S. - I have a few clients that have maybe 2-300 bmp's stored in a general
field. How can I get those out (preferably with some code) and into files
(bmp or otherwise)?

Thanks very much!
Paul N. Temple


Quote:
> Hi Paul:

> I want to make sure I understand your question.  Do you want to take a
> picture by pressing a button, fire a camera connected to the computer, and
> then display the resulting digital picture or do you want to simply view a
> currently stored picture in bitmap, Jpg or other format on the form?

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

> >Does anyone have an example of using VBS or something to take pictures?
I
> >want a persons picture on a form and I would like to press a button (very
> >few steps) on the form to get it.  I am just upgrading to VFP 7.0 and
will
> >be going to 8.0 soon. If the tools are there please let me know.

> >Thanks in advance.
> >Paul Temple
> >Temple Systems, Inc.



Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:20:06 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
Thanks Lee,

What I read of WIA sure looked like it would do it. I downloaded an ActiveX
last night that may work but I was really hoping for WIA. I'll try UT.

Thanks,
Paul N. Temple


Quote:
> Hi Paul:

> Hmm.. I have never been asked this question before, and to be honest, I
> really don't know the answer.  However, I will try to provide you with
some
> direction in your quest for an answer.

> First, I don't think the MSComm32.ocx control will do you any good in this
> case.  I believe that you need a custom ActiveX control to accomplish this
> task.  Along those lines, you might want to check www.hallogram.com for
any
> third-party products for sale that perform this task. (A word of caution:
> make sure any third-party ActiveX control or program has been tested  to
> function with Visual FoxPro.  Just because it works with Visual Basic is
no
> guarantee that it works with Visual FoxPro.) Finally, I would post this
> question on www.universalthread.com.  They have very large and active
> newsgroup devoted to Visual FoxPro.  If someone has done this before, they
> may be willing to share insights on how they accomplished this task.

> To export embedded bitmaps from a general field into a .BMP file, take a
> look at

> 161832 HOWTO: Export an Embedded .bmp Image into a File
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=161832

> I hope this helps.

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

> >Thanks for replying Lee.

> >I want to press a button and take a picture from a USB web cam like the
> >Intel CS330, the Logitech, or something like it. In 98 I used the Kodak
> >image tools but they're gone now and it looks like Microsoft's is better,
> if
> >I just knew how to use it. I went to MSDN and found the VBS stuff, but
its
> >just snippets that I don't know how to tie together or if everything I
need
> >is told there.

> >With the Kodak controls I had a seperate form called 'camera' and when
you
> >pressed the button on the 'place picture on this form' form, it opened
the
> >'camera' with the USB video feed. When you liked the pose, you pressed
the
> >'take picture button' and when you pressed save, the 'camera' saved it in
a
> >temp file and then did an append general into a field in the client file.
> >Closing the 'camera' revealed the picture in the previous form.

> >I think I don't want to store the picture in the field anymore. I will
make
> >a directory called 'pictures' and put 0000001.jpg (the client id) or
> >whatever in there. The new code doesn't have to imitate the old code, it
> >just needs to accomplish the same (roughly) results.

> >Am I the only one that wants something like this? Seems like it would be
> >great for items in a catalogue, employees, clients, etc.

> >P.S. - I have a few clients that have maybe 2-300 bmp's stored in a
general
> >field. How can I get those out (preferably with some code) and into files
> >(bmp or otherwise)?

> >Thanks very much!
> >Paul N. Temple



> > Hi Paul:

> > I want to make sure I understand your question.  Do you want to take a
> > picture by pressing a button, fire a camera connected to the computer,
and
> > then display the resulting digital picture or do you want to simply view
a
> > currently stored picture in bitmap, Jpg or other format on the form?

> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.

> > Sincerely,
> > Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> > Lee Mitchell

> > >Does anyone have an example of using VBS or something to take pictures?
> I
> > >want a persons picture on a form and I would like to press a button
(very
> > >few steps) on the form to get it.  I am just upgrading to VFP 7.0 and
> will
> > >be going to 8.0 soon. If the tools are there please let me know.

> > >Thanks in advance.
> > >Paul Temple
> > >Temple Systems, Inc.



Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:21:14 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
Hello, Lee!
You wrote  on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:39:15 GMT:

 LM> accomplish this task.  Along those lines, you might want to check
 LM> www.hallogram.com for any third-party products for sale that perform
 LM> this task. (A word of caution: make sure any third-party ActiveX
 LM> control or program has been tested  to function with Visual FoxPro.
 LM> Just because it works with Visual Basic is no guarantee that it works
 LM> with Visual FoxPro.) Finally, I would post this question on

These are good points.
I ran into problems with Active X & VFP a few times and found that the
ActiveX was working fine in Visual Basic. The best solution to these
problems for me was to "subclass" the original Active X control in a VB
Active X. IOW: the controls are running in the VB runtime environment (and
the problem is probably gone :).
---
Eric den Doop
www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8



Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:26:28 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
Hi Eric (and Andrew):

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep that in mind.  Believe it or not,
some people become angry when an ActiveX control that works fine in VB
fails to function in VFP.  I guess they get spoiled by VBs flexibility in
working with ActiveX controls.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Hello, Lee!
You wrote  on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:39:15 GMT:

 LM> accomplish this task.  Along those lines, you might want to check
 LM> www.hallogram.com for any third-party products for sale that perform
 LM> this task. (A word of caution: make sure any third-party ActiveX
 LM> control or program has been tested  to function with Visual FoxPro.
 LM> Just because it works with Visual Basic is no guarantee that it works
 LM> with Visual FoxPro.) Finally, I would post this question on

Quote:
>These are good points.
>I ran into problems with Active X & VFP a few times and found that the
>ActiveX was working fine in Visual Basic. The best solution to these
>problems for me was to "subclass" the original Active X control in a VB
>Active X. IOW: the controls are running in the VB runtime environment (and
>the problem is probably gone :).
>---
>Eric den Doop
>www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8



Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:33:42 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
I downloaded a product called ObjectTWAINT from JFL Peripherials. I am
reading about it now. I just hope it will work good. I have been in VFP for
about 3 years re-writing code from about 15 years worth of accumulated 2.6
DOS code. I finally have a little grasp on objects, classes, etc. I even
subclass things. I don't know what you mean by subclassing in a VB activeX.
Wouldn't that still be a VB activeX? I hope I don't need that. If I do can I
look you up?

Thanks,
Paul Temple



Quote:
> Hello, Lee!
> You wrote  on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:39:15 GMT:

>  LM> accomplish this task.  Along those lines, you might want to check
>  LM> www.hallogram.com for any third-party products for sale that perform
>  LM> this task. (A word of caution: make sure any third-party ActiveX
>  LM> control or program has been tested  to function with Visual FoxPro.
>  LM> Just because it works with Visual Basic is no guarantee that it works
>  LM> with Visual FoxPro.) Finally, I would post this question on

> These are good points.
> I ran into problems with Active X & VFP a few times and found that the
> ActiveX was working fine in Visual Basic. The best solution to these
> problems for me was to "subclass" the original Active X control in a VB
> Active X. IOW: the controls are running in the VB runtime environment (and
> the problem is probably gone :).
> ---
> Eric den Doop
> www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8



Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:01:17 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
Hello, Paul!
You wrote  on Fri, 14 Mar 2003 00:01:17 -0600:

 PNT> I downloaded a product called ObjectTWAINT from JFL Peripherials. I am
 PNT> reading about it now. I just hope it will work good. I have been in
VFP for
 PNT> about 3 years re-writing code from about 15 years worth of accumulated
2.6
 PNT> DOS code. I finally have a little grasp on objects, classes, etc. I
even
 PNT> subclass things. I don't know what you mean by subclassing in a VB
activeX.
 PNT> Wouldn't that still be a VB activeX? I hope I don't need that. If I do
can I
 PNT> look you up?

What I meant was that I created a wrapper active x control in VB. The
wrapper actice x is a "host" for the original active x control. I use the
wrapper ocx in my VFP app. Because the wrapper ocx is written in VB, it runs
inside the VB runtime environment.
---
Eric den Doop
www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8



Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:19:35 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
See www.dosadi.com.
The have a commercial and a freeware product.
I used with success.

--
Andrea Mariottini



Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:52:32 GMT  
 windows image acquisition
Thanks everyone!

After reading and playing with ObjectTWAINT from JFL Peripherials, I think I
will buy it. I can get an object in vfp that is a list of the twain devices
on my machine, and store the camera name as the default for taking pictures
and store the scanner name as the default for doc scanning. It $250 for the
first app (unlim distr) and $100 for each additional app (unlim distr).
That's ok with me. I'm only doing one app. The ones that Andria mentioned
look pretty good too but I learned this one last night so I already have 2-3
hours into it. Time to stop.

Thanks,
Paul N. Temple



Quote:
> I downloaded a product called ObjectTWAINT from JFL Peripherials. I am
> reading about it now. I just hope it will work good. I have been in VFP
for
> about 3 years re-writing code from about 15 years worth of accumulated 2.6
> DOS code. I finally have a little grasp on objects, classes, etc. I even
> subclass things. I don't know what you mean by subclassing in a VB
activeX.
> Wouldn't that still be a VB activeX? I hope I don't need that. If I do can
I
> look you up?

> Thanks,
> Paul Temple



> > Hello, Lee!
> > You wrote  on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:39:15 GMT:

> >  LM> accomplish this task.  Along those lines, you might want to check
> >  LM> www.hallogram.com for any third-party products for sale that
perform
> >  LM> this task. (A word of caution: make sure any third-party ActiveX
> >  LM> control or program has been tested  to function with Visual FoxPro.
> >  LM> Just because it works with Visual Basic is no guarantee that it
works
> >  LM> with Visual FoxPro.) Finally, I would post this question on

> > These are good points.
> > I ran into problems with Active X & VFP a few times and found that the
> > ActiveX was working fine in Visual Basic. The best solution to these
> > problems for me was to "subclass" the original Active X control in a VB
> > Active X. IOW: the controls are running in the VB runtime environment
(and
> > the problem is probably gone :).
> > ---
> > Eric den Doop
> > www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8



Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:56:26 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Windows AND Macintosh Image Conversion/Display Library

2. (Q) memo windows with image backgrounds

3. Displaying Images in a Window

4. UniSoft Imaging DLL steals focus/active window

5. Show Window / Hide Window / Zoom Window problems

6. Why does VFP print the image filename below an image in a report?

7. Background images on reports

8. Image to SQL Server

9. insert image

10. Images in General Fields

11. Image File Properties

12. Scrolling through jpeg-images

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software