summary band is too large to fit on page
Author Message
 summary band is too large to fit on page

I am having a problem with several reports that I am moving from FPW 2.6
to VFP 6.0. When I try to preview the report I get the message "summary
band is too large to fit on page".

According to the description of the error, this happens if the band is
longer than the paper size. But the Summary band is less than 11".

In one case, the band was 9.5" and it didn't work until I made it 8.5".
I don't have enough empty space on some of these report to move
everything up.

The reports run fine in 2.6.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ross

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 summary band is too large to fit on page

Quote:
> I am having a problem with several reports that I am moving from FPW
2.6
> to VFP 6.0. When I try to preview the report I get the
message "summary
> band is too large to fit on page".

> According to the description of the error, this happens if the band is
> longer than the paper size. But the Summary band is less than 11".

> In one case, the band was 9.5" and it didn't work until I made it
8.5".
> I don't have enough empty space on some of these report to move
> everything up.

> The reports run fine in 2.6.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks

> Ross

It's not just length, check the width too.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 summary band is too large to fit on page
John,
I am dealing with a similar problem myself, and someone here posted the
suggestion to break the summary band into multiple report groupings and
print them in the group footer.  I just had to create a column for my
report footer variable in the query output, then manually append a few
lines to the end of my report and add in the data that I wanted
displayed as the 'summary'.

HTH
Cathy

Quote:

--
**
Cathy Ciciulla Neppel

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 summary band is too large to fit on page

Quote:

> I am having a problem with several reports that I am moving from FPW 2.6
> to VFP 6.0. When I try to preview the report I get the message "summary
> band is too large to fit on page".
> According to the description of the error, this happens if the band is
> longer than the paper size. But the Summary band is less than 11".

It's the printable page size defined in the printer driver (you lose
around .25 on all edges on lasers, .5 on the bottom on inkjets) minus
everything already printed.  If the summary band doesn't fit in what's
left, you get this error.  I doubt FPD had any knowledge of printable
area.

http://www.rapidnet.com/~wblock

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 summary band is too large to fit on page

Quote:
>I am having a problem with several reports that I am moving from FPW 2.6
>to VFP 6.0. When I try to preview the report I get the message "summary
>band is too large to fit on page".

>According to the description of the error, this happens if the band is
>longer than the paper size. But the Summary band is less than 11".

>In one case, the band was 9.5" and it didn't work until I made it 8.5".
>I don't have enough empty space on some of these report to move
>everything up.

>The reports run fine in 2.6.

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks

>Ross

Ross
Also compare the Page Setup ->Print Area (whole page or printable
page).  This can affect it.  The change to VFP6 may have altered it.

Steve S

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 summary band is too large to fit on page
Warren,

You have to assume responsibility for writing code that works across all
printers (I'm speaking from hard-learned experiences). I.E., you have to
design your reports to work with the worst case scenario (an HP Deskjet that
imposes a physical limitation of 11/16 inch margin on all 4 sides). As long
as you design all reports, etc with 3/4 inch margin on all sides (I threw in
an extra 1/16 for safety), you do not have to worry about the physical
limitations of each and every printer.

If you want to pursue this further, focus on the difference between a page's
"virtual size" and "physical size". You should design apps to accommodate
the worst case scenario (as described in the above paragraph).
--
Brett Slattery

Quote:

> > I am having a problem with several reports that I am moving from FPW 2.6
> > to VFP 6.0. When I try to preview the report I get the message "summary
> > band is too large to fit on page".
> > According to the description of the error, this happens if the band is
> > longer than the paper size. But the Summary band is less than 11".
> It's the printable page size defined in the printer driver (you lose
> around .25 on all edges on lasers, .5 on the bottom on inkjets) minus
> everything already printed.  If the summary band doesn't fit in what's
> left, you get this error.  I doubt FPD had any knowledge of printable
> area.

> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
> http://www.rapidnet.com/~wblock

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 summary band is too large to fit on page

Quote:

> Warren,
> You have to assume responsibility for writing code that works across all
> printers (I'm speaking from hard-learned experiences). I.E., you have to
> design your reports to work with the worst case scenario (an HP Deskjet that
> imposes a physical limitation of 11/16 inch margin on all 4 sides). As long
> as you design all reports, etc with 3/4 inch margin on all sides (I threw in
> an extra 1/16 for safety), you do not have to worry about the physical
> limitations of each and every printer.

I'm aware of this, and it's why I was responding to the original poster.

Incidentally, is anyone else amazed that people keep buying inkjets?

http://www.rapidnet.com/~wblock

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 summary band is too large to fit on page

Quote:

>Incidentally, is anyone else amazed that people keep buying inkjets?

Suppose the keyword is COLOR.
Color lasers are still too expensive for most.

Best regards

JML

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Page Header Band too large to fit on page

2. Summary band too large to fit

3. VFP5: Detail band is too large to fit on page

4. Print error message: Detail band is too large to fit on page

5. VFP5: Detail band is too large to fit on page

6. Summary Band is too large!

7. Help ! Summary band too large

8. Header/Footer on Summary Band/New Page (VFP6)

9. report writer: how to print summary band at the end of the page

10. Detail band is too large to fit on page?

11. band is too large to fit on page. (1298)

12. Help! Report Problem: Detail Band too large to fit on page?