addressing form from menu on top level form ?
Author Message
 addressing form from menu on top level form ?

I have screen = off .. and am using a top level form with a menu
on it ..

the top level form is called   ... mainform

from the menu on the form .. I menu .." import old records "

( if it was from a button on the form .. there would be no
  problem .. but because im trying to do it from the menu
  is where im having all the difficulty )

I want to pop us a msg on the form saying .. something
like ...  "  Importing Records ... "

so I have this msg on the form that I have starting out as
invisible ..

what I want to do is .. make the msg visible for a few seconds
displaying this msg

************
a wait window .. didnt work at all
************
from a procedure in the menu .. I said .. thisform.msgtxt.visible = .t.
( this error'd saying "THIS" is only allow in a method )
***********
I tried  ..  mainform.msgtxt.visible = .t.
( this didnt error .. but .. neither did the msg appear either .. <g> )
**********

I have tried putting the code in a procedure in the menu
I tried calling an external prg .. from the menu ..

I would put it in a custom method .. but .. im not sure how to call
that method from within my menu ..

any ideas ..

Mike

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 addressing form from menu on top level form ?
Mike,
You had to use
_SCREEN.ACTIVEFORM.method or property to use the form in the menu.
(or _SCREEN.FORMS(i).property or method to find the for you want)
HTH
--
Fred - Armoni (France)

(Almost cut my hair)

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 addressing form from menu on top level form ?

Quote:
>so I have this msg on the form that I have starting out as
>invisible ..

>what I want to do is .. make the msg visible for a few seconds
>displaying this msg

>************
>a wait window .. didnt work at all
>************
>from a procedure in the menu .. I said .. thisform.msgtxt.visible = .t.
>( this error'd saying "THIS" is only allow in a method )
>***********
>I tried  ..  mainform.msgtxt.visible = .t.
>( this didnt error .. but .. neither did the msg appear either .. <g> )
>**********

ok .. ive been playing with it .. and .. this is what is happening ..

mainform.msgtxt.visible = .t.
( this actually did work if it was all by it self... yea !!!! ... )

but .....

mainform.msgtxt.visible = .t.
wait state
mainform.msgtxt.visible = .f.

the msgtxt is coming up and going away instantly ...

for the wait state
ive tried ..

 wait ""  timeout 2
 wait window ""  timeout 2
 for x = 1 to 50000   type loop

it seems to be ignoring the wait state !!!!!

I now remember this problem from before and what I had
to do .. was make the darn msgtxt another form with
a timer in it ...

but there has to be a better way

Mike

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Top level form menu & active form

2. Top Level Form, Menus and Form's Properties

3. Top Level Form Menus

4. Menus on top level forms....

5. Vfp top level forms and menu bars

6. Own menu in Top-Level forms!

7. Error with menu on a top-level form - VFP7

8. VFP 6.O Top-Level Form Menu

9. Disable Top Level Form Menu selections in VFP.

10. Disabling menus on top-level forms

11. Top-level Forms and Menus

12. Top level Form, menu and Status Bar