Give VB Programs a taste of DBF tables
Author Message
 Give VB Programs a taste of DBF tables

I know this will make more sense in the VB area, but I am getting kind of
frustrating:

My company is using VFP6 (SP3) DBF tables, some of our programs are VB6
(SP3), they cannot update them, if I use FOX2X compatibility, there is no
problem, I would take advantage on the new DBF design for speed purposes,
but this is really a hassle, how come Microsoft releases the same version of
the Visual Studio and yield incompatibilities among the "same" package??

Is there any way to oen VFP 6 DBF in VB6?? And if possible a small example?

Thanks in advance.

Julio

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Give VB Programs a taste of DBF tables
Grakka
You can open VFP tables through VFPODBC, using ADO or you can make a VFP COM
server with VFP classes to handle your data management and instantiate as an
object in VB.
-Anders

| I know this will make more sense in the VB area, but I am getting kind of
| frustrating:
|
| My company is using VFP6 (SP3) DBF tables, some of our programs are VB6
| (SP3), they cannot update them, if I use FOX2X compatibility, there is no
| problem, I would take advantage on the new DBF design for speed purposes,
| but this is really a hassle, how come Microsoft releases the same version
of
| the Visual Studio and yield incompatibilities among the "same" package??
|
| Is there any way to oen VFP 6 DBF in VB6?? And if possible a small
example?

| Thanks in advance.
|
| Julio

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Give VB Programs a taste of DBF tables

Quote:

>I know this will make more sense in the VB area, but I am getting kind of
>frustrating:

>My company is using VFP6 (SP3) DBF tables, some of our programs are VB6
>(SP3), they cannot update them, if I use FOX2X compatibility, there is no
>problem, I would take advantage on the new DBF design for speed purposes,
>but this is really a hassle, how come Microsoft releases the same version of
>the Visual Studio and yield incompatibilities among the "same" package??

>Is there any way to oen VFP 6 DBF in VB6?? And if possible a small example?

Got me with that one Grakka!

I have in the past (some months ago) connected  to VFP tables using
ODBC, OLE-DB to ODBC and ADO in VB.  Today, prompted by your post I
tried again with my SP3 Visual Studios.  Now I am failing miserably,
using the VB data environment - crashing VB when I define a
connection.  Interesting!  I have recently managed it with a DSNless
connection, defining the connection as an ADO connection string to a
VFP table (stopping when I confirmed memory leaks connecting via ODBC
to the VFP tables).

I have a horrible feeling Grakka that - at least using ADO - VB to VFP
tables would not be good thing to rely on.  I have no idea what has
changed, my machine, VFP ODBC or OLE-DB, but my machine at least is
completely unstable in this respect.

Mon, 20 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Give VB Programs a taste of DBF tables
Mike
I hope you'll find the time to submit a bugreport to the VFP group, or the
VB group. It'd be valuable of course to pin it down and get it fixed for the
future.
-Anders

| >I know this will make more sense in the VB area, but I am getting kind of
| >frustrating:
| >
| >My company is using VFP6 (SP3) DBF tables, some of our programs are VB6
| >(SP3), they cannot update them, if I use FOX2X compatibility, there is no
| >problem, I would take advantage on the new DBF design for speed purposes,
| >but this is really a hassle, how come Microsoft releases the same version
of
| >the Visual Studio and yield incompatibilities among the "same" package??
| >
| >Is there any way to oen VFP 6 DBF in VB6?? And if possible a small
example?

| Got me with that one Grakka!
|
| I have in the past (some months ago) connected  to VFP tables using
| ODBC, OLE-DB to ODBC and ADO in VB.  Today, prompted by your post I
| tried again with my SP3 Visual Studios.  Now I am failing miserably,
| using the VB data environment - crashing VB when I define a
| connection.  Interesting!  I have recently managed it with a DSNless
| connection, defining the connection as an ADO connection string to a
| VFP table (stopping when I confirmed memory leaks connecting via ODBC
| to the VFP tables).
|
| I have a horrible feeling Grakka that - at least using ADO - VB to VFP
| tables would not be good thing to rely on.  I have no idea what has
| changed, my machine, VFP ODBC or OLE-DB, but my machine at least is
| completely unstable in this respect.

Mon, 20 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Give VB Programs a taste of DBF tables
Mike and Grakka:

I've been using VFP6 tables in VB6 (both SP3) using the ADO Data
Control 6.0 (SP3) (OLEDB).  If you are having updating the tables, you
may be leaving off the command object 'Execute' method.  Here's a
sample:

Public conVFP6 As New ADODB.Connection
Public dbs As New ADODB.Command
Public rstConfigure As New ADODB.Recordset

Private Sub Form_Load()
    conVFP6.Open "dsn=cp;database=sysdata;uid=;pwd=;" 'System DSN
    Set dbs.ActiveConnection = conVFP6
    Dim strSQL as String
    strSQL = "UPDATE SomeTable SET SomeField = 'Test'"
    dbs.CommandText = strSQL
    dbs.Execute (strSQL)
End Sub

This approach updates my tables fine.  If I'm missing something please
let me know.  I do agree with Anders that using VFP COM is the best
approach for using VFP with VB.

Quote:

> >I know this will make more sense in the VB area, but I am getting
kind of
> >frustrating:

> >My company is using VFP6 (SP3) DBF tables, some of our programs are
VB6
> >(SP3), they cannot update them, if I use FOX2X compatibility, there
is no
> >problem, I would take advantage on the new DBF design for speed
purposes,
> >but this is really a hassle, how come Microsoft releases the same
version of
> >the Visual Studio and yield incompatibilities among the "same"
package??

> >Is there any way to oen VFP 6 DBF in VB6?? And if possible a small
example?

> Got me with that one Grakka!

> I have in the past (some months ago) connected  to VFP tables using
> ODBC, OLE-DB to ODBC and ADO in VB.  Today, prompted by your post I
> tried again with my SP3 Visual Studios.  Now I am failing miserably,
> using the VB data environment - crashing VB when I define a
> connection.  Interesting!  I have recently managed it with a DSNless
> connection, defining the connection as an ADO connection string to a
> VFP table (stopping when I confirmed memory leaks connecting via ODBC
> to the VFP tables).

> I have a horrible feeling Grakka that - at least using ADO - VB to VFP
> tables would not be good thing to rely on.  I have no idea what has
> changed, my machine, VFP ODBC or OLE-DB, but my machine at least is
> completely unstable in this respect.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 21 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. how VB update Table A INNER JOIN Table B, Set A.co=B.ID

2. Giving a form focus from calling program

3. Need Foxpro HELP!!Will give program for help.

4. how VB update Table A INNER JOIN Table B, Set A.co=B.ID

5. speeding up VB SQL queries/foxpro DBF

6. ODBC VB & DBF files

7. ? utility: dbf table to ms-word table ?

8. Totals given per week table - SQL?

9. ReIndexing Foxpro DBF in VB

10. Reading FoxPro DBF from VB

11. NT and FoxPro 2.6 and VB program problem!

12. how to load an external program within VB