Error message - Not a table/DBF file
Author Message
 Error message - Not a table/DBF file

A person in my office had a file open (entering records I think) and the power
went off.  Now when she tries to get back in the file she gets an error
message, Not a table/DBF file.  Was the file corrupted in some way when the
machine went dead and can she get back into her file?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  I have never posted to a newgroup before so
please let me know if you need additional information.  Thanks.  Ann Patton.
University of Missouri-Columbia.

Mon, 24 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error message - Not a table/DBF file

Quote:

(snip)
>  A person in my office had a file open (entering records I think) and the power
>  went off.  Now when she tries to get back in the file she gets an error
>  message, Not a table/DBF file.  Was the file corrupted in some way when the
(snip)

You can usually open these files in dBase III, it's less pick than FPro,
then append a record and delete it.  The problem is probably that the
record count is off from the actual # of records.  DBIII doesn't care,
but FP does.  The append/delete will fix the record count.

If this is something that happens alot, you might consider getting dSalvage
from ComTech ($200, 1-800-456-7005).  It really does a good job of fixing
corrupt DBF's.

Larry

Mon, 24 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error message - Not a table/DBF file

Quote:

>A person in my office had a file open (entering records I think) and the power
>went off.  Now when she tries to get back in the file she gets an error
>message, Not a table/DBF file.  Was the file corrupted in some way when the
>machine went dead and can she get back into her file?  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.  I have never posted to a newgroup before so
>please let me know if you need additional information.  Thanks.  Ann Patton.
>University of Missouri-Columbia.

I hav e another solution for your problem. Create a new database with the same
structure as the corrupted database. After that you append from the old database
into the new one. Al records are copied and you can continue working.
Maybe it's an idea to create a data dictionary and a program so you can organise
once in a while all your database files.

--
Maarten van den Dungen

Thu, 27 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error message - Not a table/DBF file

Thanks to all who responded to my question about recovering a file after the
power went out.  I tried to copy into dBaseIII (no luck) and also tried to
append it to a new empty file with the same structure (again no luck).
However, I did use the program that Tom Bellmer passed on in answer to
someone else's question.  Worked like a charm.  Thanks Tom and thanks to all
who sent me information.  I will remember my first post.

Quote:
>A person in my office had a file open (entering records I think) and the power
>went off.  Now when she tries to get back in the file she gets an error
>message, Not a table/DBF file.  Was the file corrupted in some way when the
>machine went dead and can she get back into her file?  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.  I have never posted to a newgroup before so
>please let me know if you need additional information.  Thanks.  Ann Patton.
>University of Missouri-Columbia.

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error message - Not a table/DBF file
Back-up, back-up, back-up. These words are never repeated enough!  So if you
took those three words of advice too late, you could always write a program to
strip the .dbf header info, determine the record length, use FOPEN and perform a
sequence of FGETS to reconstruct the damaged file.

Advise for future power-outs.. if you're using SMARTDRV disk caching, be
sure to disable the write cache option -- less file corruptions will occur upon
system crashes and power outages.

Sun, 30 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Not a table/DBF message

2. "file".spr is not an object file error message

3. Visual Foxpro 6 - Not A Table Error Message

4. Not a Table ERROR Message

5. "Not a Table" error message

6. 'NOT A TABLE' error message

7. Need help w/ Not a Table/DBF errors

8. error 15 not a table/dbf

9. Not a table/DBF error over NT network

10. Error: Not a table/DBF

11. Not a Table/DBF errors

12. FPW26 error "Not a table/.DBF"