VFP 8 / Win 95
Author Message
 VFP 8 / Win 95

My understanding from what I've read about VFP 8.0 is that you must deploy
on Win 98 or newer.

Is the runtime completely incompatible with Win 95?

Has any actually tried to deploy a VFP 8.0 app on Win 95.

I'd like to upgrade but I've got several (6 actually) workstations still on
Win 95.

Any experiences appreciated.

Thanks.

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:59:05 GMT
 VFP 8 / Win 95
Jeff,

I have a VFP 8.0 application that deploys fine to Win 98 and above. The same
installation installs fine on the Windows 95 system, and appears to start
running, but as soon as the menus are refreshed, most of the menu bars are
gone. I have seen some messages about people sort of getting it to work by
installing Active Desktop, and some about installing the full latest IE, but
I have not tried. I have been looking for a solid reason to stop supporting
Windows 95, and this seems to nail it down. I have to spend 3 - 4 person
days installing, running every system feature of my systems before every
release in every operating system, and there is no payback in supporting
Windows 95. It has always required a lot of TLC, and it is not worth the
effort.

I don't think that Windows NT 4.0 is listed as being supported, but I cannot
find any issues in my particular application on a NT 4 system.

Bill Walter

Quote:
> My understanding from what I've read about VFP 8.0 is that you must deploy
> on Win 98 or newer.

> Is the runtime completely incompatible with Win 95?

> Has any actually tried to deploy a VFP 8.0 app on Win 95.

> I'd like to upgrade but I've got several (6 actually) workstations still
on
> Win 95.

> Any experiences appreciated.

> Thanks.

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:52:07 GMT
 VFP 8 / Win 95
Even if you don't get a VFP8 app to run on Win95 you can use the VFP8 IDE,
and as long as you don't use the VFP8-specific features you can recompile in
your older version before deploying.

> My understanding from what I've read about VFP 8.0 is that you must deploy
> on Win 98 or newer.
> I'd like to upgrade but I've got several (6 actually) workstations still
> on
> Win 95.

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:01:18 GMT
 VFP 8 / Win 95

Quote:
>I don't think that Windows NT 4.0 is listed as being supported, but I cannot
>find any issues in my particular application on a NT 4 system.

It isn't, and the CLOSE option from the system menu on a form doesn't work right.
I haven't seen anything else go wrong yet ...

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:59:34 GMT
 VFP 8 / Win 95
If you install GDI+ on a W95 box and that works it may run there too. GDI+
comes with VFP8.
-Anders

Quote:
> My understanding from what I've read about VFP 8.0 is that you must deploy
> on Win 98 or newer.

> Is the runtime completely incompatible with Win 95?

> Has any actually tried to deploy a VFP 8.0 app on Win 95.

> I'd like to upgrade but I've got several (6 actually) workstations still
on
> Win 95.

> Any experiences appreciated.

> Thanks.

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:42:43 GMT
 VFP 8 / Win 95
GDI+:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdic...

<Extract>
Gdiplus.dll is included with Windows XP.
GDI+ is available as a redistributable for Windows NT 4.0 SP6, Windows 2000,
Windows 98, and Windows Me.
</Extract>

No mention of Win95.
--
Roger Ansell

Quote:

> If you install GDI+ on a W95 box and that works it may run there too. GDI+
> comes with VFP8.
> -Anders

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 05:31:15 GMT
 VFP 8 / Win 95
Hi Jeff,

Quote:
> I'd like to upgrade but I've got several (6 actually) workstations
> still on Win 95.

After installing IE 5.5, GDIPlus.DLL, the VFP 8 runtime and the VC 7
runtime, I was able to launch a VFP 8 EXE on Windows 95. I didn't perform
extensive tests, though.

--
Christof

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 22:59:23 GMT

1. REPORTS in WIN 95 Vs WIN 98

2. Win 98 to Win 95.

3. Win 98 and Win 95

4. Win 98 to Win 95.

5. FP Win 2.6 & Win 95 OSR2

6. Foxpro 2.6 - Win 3.1 vs. Win 95 Bug

7. Graphs for Foxprox 2.6 in Win 3.11 and Win 95

8. Printing Foxpro 2.6 Win/Win 95

9. Reading from Win NT / Win 95 Registry

10. Problem with Foxpro 2.6 on Win 95 and Win 3.x

11. Distribution Exe Won't Run on other Win 95 Machines

12. Bug for MS J Win 95 and VFP