incremental searching in pick box
Author Message
 incremental searching in pick box

I've got this code that I inherited (I never seem to write anything of
my own, do I).  Anyway, it's got a popup box that is populated with an
array.  If the user wishes to pick item "7342" and they type the 7 the
focus goes down to item 7000 but then when they type the 3 it goes back
up to item 3000.  I want it to go to item 7000 when they type the 7 then
to item 7300 when they type the 3 and then 7340 when they type the 4 and
then to hit the exact item.  Or at least when they get to 7340 they
could pick from the forties.

A friend of mine told me that was a shortcoming of Foxpro but I just
figured I'd throw the question out to you guys to see if anyone came up
with a way around it.  Thanks guys!

Denise

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 incremental searching in pick box

I found a FLL called JKey in a forum of compuserve. But it's an incremental
search for Browse.
Perhaps you can use or rewrite for pick box. The FLL comes with souce-code in
C, Doc and sample.
Packed It's about 60k.
If you wish I can send to you.

not a guy, Ina

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 incremental searching in pick box

I get the impression this is a FPW project?  You might find some benefit
from searching the web for JKey.  Or, if this is VFP and your popup has a
grid and you are interested, I have a text box object that is insertable
into a Grid Column that should let you accomplish the same.  Email me if
you think you'd like more info on that.

As for it being a shortcoming of FoxPro, I'd venture it's more a standard
of Windows than of FoxPro.  Most searches in Windows work the same way,
with that beat-the-clock approach.  If you try pressing "7" and "3" really
fast you should get to the 7300s.

Quote:
> then to hit the exact item.  Or at least when they get to 7340 they
> could pick from the forties.
> A friend of mine told me that was a shortcoming of Foxpro but I just
> figured I'd throw the question out to you guys to see if anyone came up
> with a way around it.  Thanks guys!

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 incremental searching in pick box

Look at the setting of the _dblclick system variable.. The larger this is,
the longer the timeout is on your incremental search lookup, so when you
type 73 it will go to the 1st 73 combination..

Quote:
> I've got this code that I inherited (I never seem to write anything of
> my own, do I).  Anyway, it's got a popup box that is populated with an
> array.  If the user wishes to pick item "7342" and they type the 7 the
> focus goes down to item 7000 but then when they type the 3 it goes back
> up to item 3000.  I want it to go to item 7000 when they type the 7 then
> to item 7300 when they type the 3 and then 7340 when they type the 4 and
> then to hit the exact item.  Or at least when they get to 7340 they
> could pick from the forties.

> A friend of mine told me that was a shortcoming of Foxpro but I just
> figured I'd throw the question out to you guys to see if anyone came up
> with a way around it.  Thanks guys!

> Denise

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 incremental searching in pick box

Don't use Combox or Listbox if the number of item is greater than 200 !!

There is a known bug on VFP that it must fail in locate # 255 or
# 255 + 256y itemindex!!!

2nd, it surely poor in search as too much item in one place!!

Quote:

> I've got this code that I inherited (I never seem to write anything of
> my own, do I).  Anyway, it's got a popup box that is populated with an
> array.  If the user wishes to pick item "7342" and they type the 7 the
> focus goes down to item 7000 but then when they type the 3 it goes back
> up to item 3000.  I want it to go to item 7000 when they type the 7 then
> to item 7300 when they type the 3 and then 7340 when they type the 4 and
> then to hit the exact item.  Or at least when they get to 7340 they
> could pick from the forties.

> A friend of mine told me that was a shortcoming of Foxpro but I just
> figured I'd throw the question out to you guys to see if anyone came up
> with a way around it.  Thanks guys!

> Denise

>^.^< ????|b?q??A?p?pjs?I?I

??????????Y?G http://members.tripod.com/~justok/frames.html
ICQ UIN:       2560423

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. combo boxes and incremental searching

2. Combo Box - Incremental search Question

3. Combo box incremental searching

4. Help: Combo-box Incremental Search

5. Vfp 3.0/5.0 Incremental Search in Combo Boxes

6. Help with incremental search in combo box

7. VFP - combo box incremental search

8. Doing incremental search in combo boxes (for FPW 2.6 please)

9. Doing incremental search in combo boxes

10. How to speedup the Combo Box incremental Search ?

11. List Box incremental search

12. Combo Box Incremental Searching