Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)
Author Message
 Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)

Ugg,

I can't get two files in rich text format to merge together.  I can't use the
RichTx32 in VFP because it strips rich text code out of the file when it's
saved with the ActiveX textcontrol which I think is like word and has a
"richer" set of commands than the RichTx32 control  (ie: it would probably
strip out the \page command to a \par).

Please help, thanks.

Mike

Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)

Quote:

>Ugg,

>I can't get two files in rich text format to merge together.  I can't use the
>RichTx32 in VFP because it strips rich text code out of the file when it's
>saved with the ActiveX textcontrol which I think is like word and has a
>"richer" set of commands than the RichTx32 control  (ie: it would probably
>strip out the \page command to a \par).

Guessing but you may be able to save it to the clipboard with formatting
and then paste into an empty Word doc. good luck

anthony shipley

<math> 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2</math>

Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)
That's kind of what I'm experimenting with but there is a HUGE problem even
with that.  You see, Rich Text has fonts and can have a font table so for
example:

\f3 This is a test

would use the third font in the table. Now, I can't exactly copy that text into
the clipboard but rather, I have to copy the formatted text so I first have to
get to it.

I dunno;  still workin' on it.

Thanks.

Quote:
>Subject: Re: Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)

>Date: 10/17/2000 4:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>>Ugg,

>>I can't get two files in rich text format to merge together.  I can't use
>the
>>RichTx32 in VFP because it strips rich text code out of the file when it's
>>saved with the ActiveX textcontrol which I think is like word and has a
>>"richer" set of commands than the RichTx32 control  (ie: it would probably
>>strip out the \page command to a \par).

>Guessing but you may be able to save it to the clipboard with formatting
>and then paste into an empty Word doc. good luck

Mike

Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)

Quote:

>That's kind of what I'm experimenting with but there is a HUGE problem even
>with that.  You see, Rich Text has fonts and can have a font table so for
>example:

>\f3 This is a test

Can you copy the rtf text into a file (a.rtf) and then open it in Word
doing the same for both files and then merge them?

Sorry, not having used rtf Active-X controls myself, I fumbling about a
bit in trying to make sensible suggestions.

anthony shipley

<math> 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2</math>

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 08:24:51 GMT
 Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)
        Greetings and Salutations...
        Well, for what it is worth, I have been working with a client on
much the same problem.  In THIS case it is a small newspaper being
laid out on several, non-connected computers. The good news is that
they are ALL using PageMaker.  The bad news is that it screws up the
layout when fonts on ONE system and not on another are used.
        At this point, the least painful solution I have come up with is
the folowing:
        1) networking the computers together (to make it less painful to
transfer files around.
        2) Setting up a pool of "standard" fonts used for laying out the
paper.
        3) Making SURE that this pool of fonts is common to all the
computers working on the paper.
        Regards
        Dave Mundt

Quote:

>That's kind of what I'm experimenting with but there is a HUGE problem even
>with that.  You see, Rich Text has fonts and can have a font table so for
>example:

>\f3 This is a test

>would use the third font in the table. Now, I can't exactly copy that text into
>the clipboard but rather, I have to copy the formatted text so I first have to
>get to it.

>I dunno;  still workin' on it.

>Thanks.

>>Subject: Re: Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)

>>Date: 10/17/2000 4:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>>>Ugg,

>>>I can't get two files in rich text format to merge together.  I can't use
>>the
>>>RichTx32 in VFP because it strips rich text code out of the file when it's
>>>saved with the ActiveX textcontrol which I think is like word and has a
>>>"richer" set of commands than the RichTx32 control  (ie: it would probably
>>>strip out the \page command to a \par).

>>Guessing but you may be able to save it to the clipboard with formatting
>>and then paste into an empty Word doc. good luck

>Mike

Remove the "REMOVE_THIS_" from my email address to get to me...
I hate Cullers who gather from newsgroups

Visit my home page at http://www.esper.com/xvart/index.html

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 09:02:52 GMT
 Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)
Anthony and David thank you for your replies.

The problem with loading Word is one of several.  First, it takes time to load.
 Second, this assumes the user has Word which means I would not need an ActiveX
control at all and requires the user to license a copy for all workstations and
makes my application less independent.

It also means a decrease in reliability when Microsoft comes out with new
versions.  Believe it or not, I have users where at one site, one workstation
has Word 97, another has Word 6.0 another has Word Perfect 8 and another has
Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS!

So I'm trying to make my application less dependent on other applications and
more self contained in the Word Processing arena.  That's why I got the Text
Control in the first place.  The Microsoft RichTx32 control automatically
adjusts the font table when two files are merged which is great.  However, it
strips out "richer" text commands (like a new page) that are not recognized by
the RichTx32 control

Thanks for any more ideas.

Mike

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 14:47:34 GMT
 Rich Text Nightmare (merging two rich text files)

Quote:

>So I'm trying to make my application less dependent on other applications and
>more self contained in the Word Processing arena.  That's why I got the Text
>Control in the first place.  The Microsoft RichTx32 control automatically
>adjusts the font table when two files are merged which is great.  However, it
>strips out "richer" text commands (like a new page) that are not recognized by
>the RichTx32 control

This suggests you must do the merge, parse out the adjusted font table,
parse the text out of the two files merging them and then insert the
adjusted font table into the merged file. Messy.

Is converting to html an option - might be easier than rtf??

anthony shipley

<math> 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2</math>

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Rich Text Nightmare (merging two files)

2. Rich Text Nightmare continues.....

3. Rich Text Nightmare continues.....

4. Rich Text Merging Problem

5. Rich Text Merging Problem

6. Rich Text Box - creating text

7. RTF (Rich Text File) Printer Driver?

8. Clipboard operations in Rich Text box ActiveX control

9. Rich Text Control

10. Rich Text Format / WP style in Fox?

11. ActiveX: help with the Rich Text Control

12. MS Rich Text Control Question