VFP & SQL Server - ADO or ODBC
Author Message
 VFP & SQL Server - ADO or ODBC

I'm starting to use VFP (6.0) with SQl Server but i'm hesitant between
using ADO or ODBC. There is any advantage in using ADO instead of ODBC?
Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance

rs

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:54:38 GMT
 VFP & SQL Server - ADO or ODBC

ADO returns a RecordSet object. This can be used pretty much as is with some
of VFP's form controls or it can be converted into a VFP cursor. There's a
function to do that, and the reverse, in VFPCOM.DLL. There  are some things
ADO can do but ODBC and updatable VFP cursors from VFP remote views or SPT
calls, will let you build fullfeatured C/S applications all with FFP's
native functionality. Much of what you want SQLServer to do may ultimately
best be written as SQLServer stored procedures, using Transact-SQL, the
SqlServer language, and these can be called from VFP without the help of
ADO.
-Anders

Quote:
> I'm starting to use VFP (6.0) with SQl Server but i'm hesitant between
> using ADO or ODBC. There is any advantage in using ADO instead of ODBC?
> Any help would be apreciated.

> Thanks in advance

> rs

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:28:38 GMT
 VFP & SQL Server - ADO or ODBC

To expand on what Anders has said, you might want to also look into OLE DB
especially if you plan someday to take things to the web.  This is also the
next generation of ODBC...

Quote:
> I'm starting to use VFP (6.0) with SQl Server but i'm hesitant between
> using ADO or ODBC. There is any advantage in using ADO instead of ODBC?
> Any help would be apreciated.

> Thanks in advance

> rs

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:59:36 GMT

1. VFP & SQL Server - ADO or ODBC

2. ODBC & SQL Server Conversion

3. VFP, ADO stream object, write to sql server

4. VFP 3.0, ODBC and SQL server questions.

5. VFP 3.0 remote view, ODBC, SQL server 6.5 problem

6. SQL Select on date via ODBC-ADO

7. Running SQL against ODBC View (SQL Server)

8. ADO against SQL-server

9. Internet connection to SQL Server using ADO, OLE DB not working

10. Updating a VFP Foxpro Table from a Web Page via the VFP ODBC driver/ADO

11. VFP 6.0, SQL Server 7.0, & Identity Fields

12. VFP 6 SP3 & SQL Server 7