Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
Author Message
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)

Hi everybody, here is the situation. A new client wants me to create a POS
application. What's interesting is that he wants the cashier application
runs under DOS (yup, old DOS) while the backend runs under Windows
9x/2000/XP.

Any ideas how to implement that?

TIA
Willianto

Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:09:25 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
Get a clarification first. I remember a client who didn't understand the
difference between a fpd app that used define window .... for just about
everything and Windows itself. Maybe he's just talking about the screen
style, Anyway, if he actually means one machine running DOS 6.2 (which is
still supported I believe) networked to others running Windows and he
understands the risks involved, there's no reason you can't develop an app
around free tables and share them between FPD/FPW and Windows.
--
Lew Schwartz
Visual FoxPro Solutions

Quote:
> Hi everybody, here is the situation. A new client wants me to create a POS
> application. What's interesting is that he wants the cashier application
> runs under DOS (yup, old DOS) while the backend runs under Windows
> 9x/2000/XP.

> Any ideas how to implement that?

> TIA
> Willianto

Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:37:05 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
Hi Lew,

I did clarify this. I knew him for quite some time, and I know that he owned
a PC/AT 16MHz back in 1990. So, he sure know what the DOS is. I talked to
him this afternoon, and from what I understand, he thinks that using GUI in
a cashier apps is not efficient. Not to mention Windows ability to switching
task which is a minus point for him.

Anyway, you mention about screen style. Maybe you're right. It might be the
thing my client had in his mind. Anyway, can you tell me more about the
screen style? I don't think I've ever created an apps in Windows that is
*not* using a mouse.

BTW, it's just cross my mind to use a dumb terminal. Because this is the
case, maybe, it can replace DOS. Any ideas?

TIA
Willianto

Quote:
> Get a clarification first. I remember a client who didn't understand the
> difference between a fpd app that used define window .... for just about
> everything and Windows itself. Maybe he's just talking about the screen
> style, Anyway, if he actually means one machine running DOS 6.2 (which is
> still supported I believe) networked to others running Windows and he
> understands the risks involved, there's no reason you can't develop an app
> around free tables and share them between FPD/FPW and Windows.
> --
> Lew Schwartz
> Visual FoxPro Solutions
> Database Programming and Design
> www.clsystems.com
> 718-336-8225

> > Hi everybody, here is the situation. A new client wants me to create a
POS
> > application. What's interesting is that he wants the cashier application
> > runs under DOS (yup, old DOS) while the backend runs under Windows
> > 9x/2000/XP.

> > Any ideas how to implement that?

> > TIA
> > Willianto

Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:54:44 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
Lew,
I forgot to ask this one:

Quote:
>... and he understands the risks involved, ...

What is the risk of having DOS and Windows' network?

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:02:16 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
Quote:
> What is the risk of having DOS and Windows' network?

In my experience, not much, really.  I have a POS app running 25-40
registers at 9 sites (i.e. 2-5 registers per site).  The front end POS is
FPD2.6.
Why FPD2.6?
1.  All DOS apps are modal - no support calls because someone pressed a
windows button and couldn't figure out the window didn't have focus.
2.  POS apps interface is generally all about speed (depends what you're
doing, of course)... so DOS works just fine - you don't need fancy windows.
3.  Rock solid.  FPD2.6 on msdos 6.22 crashes very, very rarely.
4.  Should a crash happen, reboot is often quite quick.
5.  You can use wicked old legacy equip for installs.

On the 'server', I run vfp6 to print price tags on custom made address label
size laser printer stock.  Wicked cheap, been very reliable...

The vfp6 app and the fpd2.6 apps are sharing data files without any problems
at all.  Our systems run more than a million transactions a year - besides a
hard drive failure, we have not had data corruption on the files (knock on
wood) in over a year.  The systems all phone home their data to our sql2k
back end that has vfp7 as the front end.

If the UI requirements are low, I can't recommend enough just sticking with
fpd2.6 as your front end for the POS component.  If you have fancy UI
requirements, then you definitely outta go for vfp6 or 7...

Quote:
> Lew,
> I forgot to ask this one:

> >... and he understands the risks involved, ...

> What is the risk of having DOS and Windows' network?

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:05:24 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)

Quote:
> > What is the risk of having DOS and Windows' network?

snip

I guess he is referring to the fact that DOS can run some very low level
commands and is much harder to tie down than windows (which has a policy
editor)

Regards
--
Andrew Howell

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:24:00 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
Hi Alex,
Thanks for responding :) It's nice to know that someone else has been on
your route :)

Quote:
> The vfp6 app and the fpd2.6 apps are sharing data files without any
problems
> at all.

Cool. Can you tell me, how did you share the data files? Did you use free
tables on the server and access them thru network from FPD26 front end? Or
did you do some kind of batching process where several transaction posted at
a specific time?

Oh, and btw, how did you connect DOS to Windows? I haven't try this before,
and I think, I am going to use MS DOS 6.2 and Windows XP. Or is it better
Windows 2000?

I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

TIA
Willianto

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:38:16 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
As for connecting DOS to Windows, have a look at:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dosclien.htm

If you have any kind of networking experience, it should be a breeze, but if
you need any help, just ask.
If I were you, I would stick toWindows 2000.

HTH
-Darien

Quote:
> Hi Alex,
> Thanks for responding :) It's nice to know that someone else has been on
> your route :)

> > The vfp6 app and the fpd2.6 apps are sharing data files without any
> problems
> > at all.

> Cool. Can you tell me, how did you share the data files? Did you use free
> tables on the server and access them thru network from FPD26 front end? Or
> did you do some kind of batching process where several transaction posted
at
> a specific time?

> Oh, and btw, how did you connect DOS to Windows? I haven't try this
before,
> and I think, I am going to use MS DOS 6.2 and Windows XP. Or is it better
> Windows 2000?

> I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

> TIA
> Willianto

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:55:14 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
Hi Willianto,

We just use a share and have both vfp6 and fpd2.6 share fpd2.6 free tables.

We have VFP6 running on NTsp4. While at my desk I enjoy a dual screen winxp
install, but for the stores, we have had 0 problems with nt4sp4 and vfp6 -
the vfp6 program isn't doing anything fancy, though...

For networking we use lantastic.  I'm psyched to check out the link Darien
posted to see if there's a cheaper (free) solution that also works - so far
the link doesn't work for me because the server at the link says it's
overloaded...

Quote:
> Hi Alex,
> Thanks for responding :) It's nice to know that someone else has been on
> your route :)

> > The vfp6 app and the fpd2.6 apps are sharing data files without any
> problems
> > at all.

> Cool. Can you tell me, how did you share the data files? Did you use free
> tables on the server and access them thru network from FPD26 front end? Or
> did you do some kind of batching process where several transaction posted
at
> a specific time?

> Oh, and btw, how did you connect DOS to Windows? I haven't try this
before,
> and I think, I am going to use MS DOS 6.2 and Windows XP. Or is it better
> Windows 2000?

> I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

> TIA
> Willianto

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:36:07 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
Alex,

Quote:
> We just use a share and have both vfp6 and fpd2.6 share fpd2.6 free
tables.

> We have VFP6 running on NTsp4. While at my desk I enjoy a dual screen
winxp
> install, but for the stores, we have had 0 problems with nt4sp4 and vfp6 -
> the vfp6 program isn't doing anything fancy, though...

Interesting! Looks like I am going to accept the job and build the apps. I
think I am going to use Windows 2000 and VFP 7. It's year 2002 anyway :)

Quote:
> For networking we use lantastic.  I'm psyched to check out the link Darien
> posted to see if there's a cheaper (free) solution that also works - so
far
> the link doesn't work for me because the server at the link says it's
> overloaded...

I have just checked the link Darien posted, and yes, same here, the link
doesn't work. Guess what! Maybe there are tons of people out there who are
interested in connecting DOS with Windows :)

Willianto

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:05:07 GMT
 Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)
The site is mirrored, I don't have any prob getting into any of the mirrors.
Also try:

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/dosclien.htm

If you are still having probs, I could download the pages, zip them up and
email them to u if u wish.

HTH
-Darien

Quote:
> Alex,

> > We just use a share and have both vfp6 and fpd2.6 share fpd2.6 free
> tables.

> > We have VFP6 running on NTsp4. While at my desk I enjoy a dual screen
> winxp
> > install, but for the stores, we have had 0 problems with nt4sp4 and
vfp6 -
> > the vfp6 program isn't doing anything fancy, though...

> Interesting! Looks like I am going to accept the job and build the apps. I
> think I am going to use Windows 2000 and VFP 7. It's year 2002 anyway :)

> > For networking we use lantastic.  I'm psyched to check out the link
Darien
> > posted to see if there's a cheaper (free) solution that also works - so
> far
> > the link doesn't work for me because the server at the link says it's
> > overloaded...

> I have just checked the link Darien posted, and yes, same here, the link
> doesn't work. Guess what! Maybe there are tons of people out there who are
> interested in connecting DOS with Windows :)

> Willianto

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:55:56 GMT

1. Foxpro App as a Windows 2000 Service?

2. Error installing app on Windows 2000 system

3. Unable to Start Fox2.6 App under Windows 2000

4. Fatal Error - VFP6 (US) On Windows 2000/XP (Taiwan Setting)

5. Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro

6. Windows XP/2000

7. Problem porting FP DOS app to windows

8. Integrating Fox app into Lotus Notes - HELP!

9. Running foxpro dos app under foxpro for windows

10. FP DOS, invoking Windows app

11. Integrating a Scanner with a VFP App ??

12. VFP 5.0a COM Port Communications for POS App