Help Speed up my Program!
Author Message
 Help Speed up my Program!

I have developed an application in FPW2.6a.  One of the functions allows my
customer to create quotes.  I have three tables opened with a relationship
set between two of them, we'll call them Parent and Child.  The third table
is the Inventory table with three fields: Part_id, Description, and Price.

On a form screen, I have the part_id field appearing in a list box.  I have
it setup so that if they double click on a part_id number in the list box,
the Part ID, Description, and Price are appended as a new record in the
Child table.

THE PROBLEM:  I loaded the Inventory with 10,000 records.  On a 486-66w/
8MB, it took approximately 2 minutes to load the form screen and 20 seconds
to move between part_id  numbers(by just typing when the focus is on the
list box).  On a Pentium-100 w/32MB, it took 30 seconds to load the form
screen and 7 seconds to move between part_id numbers.

I do have the Inventory table indexed on Part_id.  I have heard that
PHDbase speeds things up.  Will it really do the job?  Is there any other
products that do it better?  Is there a way for me to speed it up by just
using FoxProw?

Help!?!?!?!?

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help Speed up my Program!

Stephen,

 I would never use a list box to contain more than several hundred items

on a typical application (Any list over 1-2K items and you will notice
speed problems). If you are loading 10,000 parts then that is

the cause of the slow responce. The list box buffers the data set into

memory. You may want to consider using a browse screen with a valid

clause to perform the same function. It will take a little work to

simulate the search feature of the list box but it can be done. One

approach is to have a seperate get object where the user can enter as

much of the part they wish. On the valid event of this get you would do

a seek on the part number and have "set near on". The browse window can
then be refreshed to the location showing the nearest match.

Good Luck,

Mike

Quote:

> I have developed an application in FPW2.6a.  One of the functions allows my
> customer to create quotes.  I have three tables opened with a relationship
> set between two of them, we'll call them Parent and Child.  The third table
> is the Inventory table with three fields: Part_id, Description, and Price.

> On a form screen, I have the part_id field appearing in a list box.  I have
> it setup so that if they double click on a part_id number in the list box,
> the Part ID, Description, and Price are appended as a new record in the
> Child table.

> THE PROBLEM:  I loaded the Inventory with 10,000 records.  On a 486-66w/
> 8MB, it took approximately 2 minutes to load the form screen and 20 seconds
> to move between part_id  numbers(by just typing when the focus is on the
> list box).  On a Pentium-100 w/32MB, it took 30 seconds to load the form
> screen and 7 seconds to move between part_id numbers.

> I do have the Inventory table indexed on Part_id.  I have heard that
> PHDbase speeds things up.  Will it really do the job?  Is there any other
> products that do it better?  Is there a way for me to speed it up by just
> using FoxProw?

> Help!?!?!?!?

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help Speed up my Program!

Stephen,

Personally I would doubt that the data is your problem (unless you have a
saturated network, in which case nothing you do in FPW will help much).

The slowest things I remember from my FPW days were:
1) SHOW GETS
     This was VERY bad, and major improvements could be obtained by using
SHOW GET obj.
     In other words, the old FP habit of SHOW GETS when all you really
needed to do was to
     refresh 1 item was a killer there
2) Anything "printing" to a large window or the desktop.

Good Luck
Jim N.

Quote:
> I have developed an application in FPW2.6a.  One of the functions allows
my
> customer to create quotes.  I have three tables opened with a
relationship
> set between two of them, we'll call them Parent and Child.  The third
table
> is the Inventory table with three fields: Part_id, Description, and
Price.

> On a form screen, I have the part_id field appearing in a list box.  I
have
> it setup so that if they double click on a part_id number in the list
box,
> the Part ID, Description, and Price are appended as a new record in the
> Child table.

> THE PROBLEM:  I loaded the Inventory with 10,000 records.  On a 486-66w/
> 8MB, it took approximately 2 minutes to load the form screen and 20
seconds
> to move between part_id  numbers(by just typing when the focus is on the
> list box).  On a Pentium-100 w/32MB, it took 30 seconds to load the form
> screen and 7 seconds to move between part_id numbers.

> I do have the Inventory table indexed on Part_id.  I have heard that
> PHDbase speeds things up.  Will it really do the job?  Is there any other
> products that do it better?  Is there a way for me to speed it up by just
> using FoxProw?

> Help!?!?!?!?

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help Speed up my Program!

Quote:

> Stephen,

> Personally I would doubt that the data is your problem (unless you have a
> saturated network, in which case nothing you do in FPW will help much).

> The slowest things I remember from my FPW days were:
> 1) SHOW GETS
>      This was VERY bad, and major improvements could be obtained by using
> SHOW GET obj.
>      In other words, the old FP habit of SHOW GETS when all you really
> needed to do was to
>      refresh 1 item was a killer there
> 2) Anything "printing" to a large window or the desktop.

> Good Luck
> Jim N.

> > I have developed an application in FPW2.6a.  One of the functions allows
> my
> > customer to create quotes.  I have three tables opened with a
> relationship
> > set between two of them, we'll call them Parent and Child.  The third
> table
> > is the Inventory table with three fields: Part_id, Description, and
> Price.

> > On a form screen, I have the part_id field appearing in a list box.  I
> have
> > it setup so that if they double click on a part_id number in the list
> box,
> > the Part ID, Description, and Price are appended as a new record in the
> > Child table.

> > THE PROBLEM:  I loaded the Inventory with 10,000 records.  On a 486-66w/
> > 8MB, it took approximately 2 minutes to load the form screen and 20
> seconds
> > to move between part_id  numbers(by just typing when the focus is on the
> > list box).  On a Pentium-100 w/32MB, it took 30 seconds to load the form
> > screen and 7 seconds to move between part_id numbers.

> > I do have the Inventory table indexed on Part_id.  I have heard that
> > PHDbase speeds things up.  Will it really do the job?  Is there any other
> > products that do it better?  Is there a way for me to speed it up by just
> > using FoxProw?

> > Help!?!?!?!?

I have an app that has 70,000 records in the parent table & 300,000
records in the child table.  It takes seconds to switch records.

The secret, use SQL selects to populate the child table & make sure
there is an index on the key fields that you are selecting on.

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help Speed up my Program!

Michael's response, that the listbox is the problem, is accurate.  You
need either to get a smaller set to display to the user (by user
pre-selection as Michael suggests) or encounter the joy of browse
programming -- which can be done modeless in 2.6a windows, but not in
2.6a DOS.  A modal browse, using JKey to incrementally search, is easy
to program, and may be the way to go at this time.

Hank Fay

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:41:41 -0800, "Stephen Rosen"

Quote:

>I have developed an application in FPW2.6a.  One of the functions allows my
>customer to create quotes.  I have three tables opened with a relationship
>set between two of them, we'll call them Parent and Child.  The third table
>is the Inventory table with three fields: Part_id, Description, and Price.

>On a form screen, I have the part_id field appearing in a list box.  I have
>it setup so that if they double click on a part_id number in the list box,
>the Part ID, Description, and Price are appended as a new record in the
>Child table.

>THE PROBLEM:  I loaded the Inventory with 10,000 records.  On a 486-66w/
>8MB, it took approximately 2 minutes to load the form screen and 20 seconds
>to move between part_id  numbers(by just typing when the focus is on the
>list box).  On a Pentium-100 w/32MB, it took 30 seconds to load the form
>screen and 7 seconds to move between part_id numbers.

>I do have the Inventory table indexed on Part_id.  I have heard that
>PHDbase speeds things up.  Will it really do the job?  Is there any other
>products that do it better?  Is there a way for me to speed it up by just
>using FoxProw?

>Help!?!?!?!?

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ups shipping program

2. Help me Speed up my Program

3. need to speed up program execution

4. Foxpro performance - Speed of access to program cache.

5. Pop Ups with Icons

6. VFP & UPS/FedEx

7. COM for APC UPS

8. Anybody interfacing with UPS shipping software?

9. Printing UPS barcodes/maxicodes/bullet codes

10. UPS Online Tracking - XML

11. lock-ups in W98, on NT4 network?

12. Need help improving lookup speed.