A couple of FoxPro 2.5 (DOS) questions...
Author Message
 A couple of FoxPro 2.5 (DOS) questions...

As I say, a couple of wee questions.

1.  Does the distribution kit produce code that is significantly faster than
the normal FoxPro .fxp files?

2.  A while back I got a set of utilities which provided, among other
things, a function to return the user id on a netware network.  This is
fine, but the number of other things in it makes a bit of overkill.  Does
anyone have a (free) library routine which will return the user id and
nothing much else?

3.  On a given spec of PC, which will go faster, the DOS or Windows versions
of FoxPro?  And how much of a difference is it?

Thanks in advance,
Colin MacDonald

==========================================|=#===|=#===|=#===========
Colin MacDonald                           | # . | # . | #
Department of Clinical Neurosciences      | # . | #
Edinburgh University                      | #

Mon, 30 Sep 1996 23:18:11 GMT
 A couple of FoxPro 2.5 (DOS) questions...

Quote:

>As I say, a couple of wee questions.
>1.  Does the distribution kit produce code that is significantly faster than
>the normal FoxPro .fxp files?

Havent't got out a stopwatch and tested it, but on my 486-25 the
speed looks the same. (Compact .exe vs .fxp in 2.5b)

Quote:
>3.  On a given spec of PC, which will go faster, the DOS or Windows versions
>of FoxPro?  And how much of a difference is it?

Don't use windoze much?  Running same program on DOS vs Windows, Windoze
is 2-5 times as slow (nope, no stopwatches or benchmarks, just
eyeballing it.)  Things which happen as soon as you press a key in
DOS take 1-2 seconds in windows.  Something as simple as LIST STRU
causes windoze to grunt and wheze its way through it.  Maybe by
the time 786 chips are out windoze will be fast enough for me.

Tue, 01 Oct 1996 01:17:15 GMT

1. Converting FOXPRO 2.5 DOS to 2.6 WIN question...

2. URGENT!!! FOXPro 2.5 DOS Question

3. Foxpro 2.5 for DOS - Y2K and new PC questions

4. FoxPro 2.5 DOS COM Port I/O Question

5. Blast from the past - FOXR.EXE question FOXPRO 2.5 DOS

6. FoxPro DOS 2.5 in Win DOS Shell

7. set century on problem with FoxPro DOS 2.5 and FoxPro Win 2.6a

8. Foxpro 2.5 Dos and Foxpro 2.6 Windows

9. set century on problem with FoxPro DOS 2.5 and FoxPro Win 2.6a

10. Upgrading from Foxpro 2.5 (DOS) to Visual Foxpro

11. Fox 2.5 DOS password question

12. newbie question, FP 2.5 DOS