Need more help with HELP!!!!!!
Author Message
 Need more help with HELP!!!!!!

Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop is the most frustrating piece of {*filter*}
I've ever seen!  I am so tantalizingly close to achieving context
sensitive help, but it keeps thwarting me.

What I've done so far:

I've built the project and included the [MAP] and [ALIAS] sections as
described by others on this board.  These sections look something like this:

[ALIAS]
IDH_test1_ID=test1.htm
IDH_test2_ID=test2.htm

[MAP]
#include test.h

Header file "test.h" has the following code:

#define IDH_test1_ID 1000
#define IDH_test2_ID 1010

I compile the help file, and "SET HELP TO" that file, but when I run the
command:

HELP ID 1010,

I get the following error:

HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section

Has anyone on this board actually developed a context sensitive Foxpro
help system using the HTML Help Workshop??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  I'm pulling my hair out on this one.

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 05:00:03 GMT
 Need more help with HELP!!!!!!
Hello, Kent!
You wrote  on Tue, 03 Jun 2003 17:00:03 -0400:

 KL> What I've done so far:

 KL> I've built the project and included the [MAP] and [ALIAS] sections as
 KL> described by others on this board.  These sections look something like
 KL> this:

[Sorry, skipped]

 KL> Has anyone on this board actually developed a context sensitive Foxpro
 KL> help system using the HTML Help Workshop??

 KL> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  I'm pulling my hair out on this
 KL> one.

The following was posted by Pete Lees a few weeks ago.
<quote>
You can download a tutorial on HTML Help Workshop from:

http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/htmlhelp/hhtutorials.html

If you want to buy a book on HTML Help development, I'd recommend
Jeannine Klein's "Building Enhanced HTML Help with DHTML & CSS"
(http://www.jmek.net/html_help/). Steve Wexler's "Official Microsoft
HTML Help Authoring Kit" is also quite good, although not as detailed
and up-to-date.

Some useful websites:

http://www.ec-software.com/tutorial.htm#foxpro
http://helpware.net
http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter
http://www.keyworks.net
http://www.helpmaster.com
http://www.smountain.com
</quote>
--
Eric den Doop

Sun, 20 Nov 2005 06:42:10 GMT
 Need more help with HELP!!!!!!

Quote:
> Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop is the most frustrating piece of {*filter*}
> I've ever seen!  I am so tantalizingly close to achieving context
> sensitive help, but it keeps thwarting me.

> What I've done so far:

> I've built the project and included the [MAP] and [ALIAS] sections as
> described by others on this board.  These sections look something like
> this:

> [ALIAS]
> IDH_test1_ID=test1.htm
> IDH_test2_ID=test2.htm

> [MAP]
> #include test.h

> Header file "test.h" has the following code:

> #define IDH_test1_ID 1000
> #define IDH_test2_ID 1010

> I compile the help file, and "SET HELP TO" that file, but when I run
> the command:

> HELP ID 1010,

> I get the following error:

> HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section

> Has anyone on this board actually developed a context sensitive Foxpro
> help system using the HTML Help Workshop??

> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  I'm pulling my hair out on this
> one.

This all sounds so familiar...

My first interaction with HTML help in VFP had almost
exactly the same results.  After a lot of digging and
experimentation, I did get context sensitive HTML help
to work using HTML Help Workshop.  But not long after
that, we switched to using HelpAndManual and never
looked back.

There is a usenet thread that I posted on this that
describes in detail what I tried and what finally
worked.  To see the whole exchange you can do a Google
search around July/August 2001 for "HTML help".

Here is the important stuff:

We have a winner!!!!!  David had the secret!

Using David's technique, the context sensitive HTML Help works
like a charm.  To be a little more specific about what is done
to make this work:

In HTML Help Workshop (HHW), with your project opened, the left
hand panel (usally at the bottom) will have two headings:
[ALIAS] and [MAP].  This is where HHW shows how you are mapping
your help topics to context IDs for use from an outside program.
Double-clicking either of these headings brings up the
HTMLHelp API Information dialog box.  This is where you assign
context IDs.

If you don't see the [ALIAS} or [MAP] headings, you'll need to
open the HTMLHelp API Information dialog box by clicking on the
"HTMLHelp API Information" button in the toolbar (has an icon
of an arrow pointing to a line - ain't that an informative icon?).

In the HTMLHelp API Information dialog box there are three
tabs.  The first one is what we need to focus on - Map.

Write an include file using the format David shows with each topic
and context ID entered like so:

#DEFINE <html file name without the extension> <TAB> <context ID>

If the HTML files in your project are in subdirectories under
your HTMLHelp project directory, you need to include the path
to each HTML file in the above.  All of my HTML files are in
the same directory as the project file, so my include file
looks like this:

#DEFINE Introduction 1
#DEFINE Ch1_Intro 2
#DEFINE System_Overview 3
#DEFINE System_Features 4
#DEFINE Documentation_syntax_conventions 6
#DEFINE Importing_files  7
#DEFINE Windows_conventions 8
#DEFINE system_requirements 9
#DEFINE Ch2_Install 10

It is important *not* to have the ".htm" extension on the
file names in this include file.  If you include the extension,
it doesn't work.

Now, back to the HTMLHelp API Information dialog box in the
HHW...  On the Map tab, click the "Header File..." button to
identify the include file you wrote as described above.  Then
Click "OK" to close the HTMLHelp API Information dialog box.

Compile the file into the CHM file.

Now, in VFP, doing the following will actually bring up the
correct topic in the CHM file:

1) Open one of your forms in the Form Designer

2) Set the HelpContextID of the form to one of the numbers
   in your include file.  In my case, if I want to bring up
   the "Windows conventions" topic, I'd enter an 8.

3) Save the form

4) In the command window, run the following command to point
   VFP to your help file:

   SET HELP ON
   SET HELP TO myHelp.chm

   Of course replace "myHelp.chm" with whatever and wherever
   your compiled CHM file is stored.

5) Run the form that you modified in (1).  And press F1.
   Tadaaa!!!  The topic will open up.  (or should)

Will you find this information in the help for the HTMLHelp
Workshop?  No.  Will you find it in VFP's help?  No.  But
now you know.

Thanks to everyone who contributed bits and pieces to getting
this to work.

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:47:15 GMT
 Need more help with HELP!!!!!!
Tim,

Thanks for your information.  I finally tracked down all my help
problems, one in HTML Help Workshop, and two in Fox:

1) The entries you make in the [ALIAS] AND [MAP} sections of HHW are
case sensitive.  AND, if there is even ONE incongruency between the ID
names of the two sections, the compiled CHM file will fail.  (but of
course, HHW doesn't tell you it failed.  It reports that the compile is
successful)  A badly compiled HHW project will issue this error when
sending a helpcontextid:

"HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section"

I think it's best to put both your Alias and Map statements in files.
That way you can create the MAP.h file from the Alias.ali file to insure
against typos creeping in.  Both files can be #included in their
respective sections.

2) My application problem stemmed from the abyssmal Foxpro Application
generator I started my project with.  (and am now reluctantly married
to)  The Help Menu was trapping the F1 key and executing the
application's dohelp() method, which is basically a bunch of {*filter*}that
tries to support legacy Help.  Once I removed the F1 key from the menu
and added "SET HELP TO myhelpfile.chm" in my Main prog, everything
worked!  (I had also followed the instructions to set the form's
HelpContextID to match the chm file)

3) In my experimenting with one form, I had set the  .WhatsThisHelp =
.T., which automatically sends the help file the WhatsThis ID instead of
the HelpContextID.  Once I found this anomaly, all forms were fixed and
working as advertised!

Thanks for your help.  Perhaps we should make an entry on the Fox WIKI
about this whole mess, for future {*filter*}s.  :-)

Quote:

> Here is the important stuff:

> In HTML Help Workshop (HHW), with your project opened, the left
> hand panel (usally at the bottom) will have two headings:
> [ALIAS] and [MAP].  This is where HHW shows how you are mapping
> your help topics to context IDs for use from an outside program.
> Double-clicking either of these headings brings up the
> HTMLHelp API Information dialog box.  This is where you assign
> context IDs.

> If you don't see the [ALIAS} or [MAP] headings, you'll need to
> open the HTMLHelp API Information dialog box by clicking on the
> "HTMLHelp API Information" button in the toolbar (has an icon
> of an arrow pointing to a line - ain't that an informative icon?).

> In the HTMLHelp API Information dialog box there are three
> tabs.  The first one is what we need to focus on - Map.

> Write an include file using the format David shows with each topic
> and context ID entered like so:

> #DEFINE <html file name without the extension> <TAB> <context ID>

> It is important *not* to have the ".htm" extension on the
> file names in this include file.  If you include the extension,
> it doesn't work.

> Now, back to the HTMLHelp API Information dialog box in the
> HHW...  On the Map tab, click the "Header File..." button to
> identify the include file you wrote as described above.  Then
> Click "OK" to close the HTMLHelp API Information dialog box.

> Compile the file into the CHM file.

> Now, in VFP, doing the following will actually bring up the
> correct topic in the CHM file:

> 1) Open one of your forms in the Form Designer

> 2) Set the HelpContextID of the form to one of the numbers
>    in your include file.  In my case, if I want to bring up
>    the "Windows conventions" topic, I'd enter an 8.

> 3) Save the form

> 4) In the command window, run the following command to point
>    VFP to your help file:

>    SET HELP ON
>    SET HELP TO myHelp.chm

>    Of course replace "myHelp.chm" with whatever and wherever
>    your compiled CHM file is stored.

> 5) Run the form that you modified in (1).  And press F1.
>    Tadaaa!!!  The topic will open up.  (or should)

> Will you find this information in the help for the HTMLHelp
> Workshop?  No.  Will you find it in VFP's help?  No.  But
> now you know.

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:42:41 GMT
 Need more help with HELP!!!!!!

Quote:
> Tim,

> Thanks for your information.  I finally tracked down all my help
> problems, one in HTML Help Workshop, and two in Fox:

[snip]

Good to hear your up and running now.  Actually, we eventually
opted to use good ol' WinHelp because it does not require all
of the extra junk that HTML help requires (Internet Explorer, etc).
Since we sell our software, it doesn't look good to need to
say, "Oh, by the way, if you want to have help available, you
need to have IE installed too."  Makes us start to sound like
Microsoft. :^(  And there was nothing so earthshatteringly
great in HTML help that we needed anyway...

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:29:08 GMT

1. HELP,HELP,HELP need help fast

2. I NEED HELP I NEED HELP CUSTOMIZING EXCHANGE 5.0

3. Help needed with ONLINE HELP system inside .EXE file

4. Need Help For Customize Help In Foxpro for Dos 2.5

5. (*.HLP) : Need help to build Windows 3.x Help Files

6. Help Newibe needs Basic help

7. HELP! NOVICE NEEDS VFP 5 REPORT HELP

8. Need HTML Help HELP!

9. Help needed to Create Help File !

10. (*.HLP) : Need help to build Windows 3.x Help Files

11. Need Foxpro HELP!!Will give program for help.

12. HELP!!! Need help with FoxPro memo fields