Unable to build EXE in FP DOS 2.6
Author Message
 Unable to build EXE in FP DOS 2.6

I'm trying to create a standalone EXE in Fox 2.6 DOS.  About the same time I
get the "Creating an overlayed file" message, something goes wrong.  On one
machine, FoxPro hangs up or crashes; on the other machine, the whole system
crashes.

The distribution kit diskettes are not from the same packet as the FoxPro
diskettes.  Would this cause the problem, or are there other factors, such as
the Windows 98 environment or other versions of FoxPro and VFP on the computer?

 - Dean Lesner

Thu, 30 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Unable to build EXE in FP DOS 2.6
In FPD and early FPW the LCK and distribution kits were seperate products.  If
the distribution kit is not for the same version as yoru FPD that may cause a
problem.  But I think the DK would have refused to install. It's been years
since I used FPD

-josh

Quote:
>I'm trying to create a standalone EXE in Fox 2.6 DOS.  About the same time I
>get the "Creating an overlayed file" message, something goes wrong.  On one
>machine, FoxPro hangs up or crashes; on the other machine, the whole system
>crashes.

>The distribution kit diskettes are not from the same packet as the FoxPro
>diskettes.  Would this cause the problem, or are there other factors, such as
>the Windows 98 environment or other versions of FoxPro and VFP on the computer?

> - Dean Lesner

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Unable to build EXE in FP DOS 2.6

Quote:
>I'm trying to create a standalone EXE in Fox 2.6 DOS.  About the same time I
>get the "Creating an overlayed file" message, something goes wrong.  On one
>machine, FoxPro hangs up or crashes; on the other machine, the whole system
>crashes.

>The distribution kit diskettes are not from the same packet as the FoxPro
>diskettes.  Would this cause the problem, or are there other factors, such as
>the Windows 98 environment or other versions of FoxPro and VFP on the computer?

> - Dean Lesner

Hi,

As mentioned in another post the distribution kit is a separate
product so it will always be another packet. In FPD you can create 3
different exe files:
1. compact : requires 3 files (foxd2600.esl,
foxd2600.eso,foxdx260.esl) to be delivered with the app.
2.stand alone: uses no extended memory
3. stand alone extended: uses extended memory.
I suppose you're using option 2 which of course works with overlay
files as no upper memory will be available.
In this day and age when even the lowest pc has 32 MB of memory I
cannot find a reason for doing so. It was always a 'temperamental' exe
file and I guess you're running into memory conflicts with it even
when creating it.
My suggestion: go for option 1. compact. I have never had an problems
with it (WFW,WIN95,WIN98,WINNT). You only have to make sure the 3
mentioned files are - preferably- in the same dir as the 'exe'

Best regards

JML

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Unable to build EXE in FP DOS 2.6
On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:48:00 +0100, Jean-Marie Laeremans

Quote:

>>I'm trying to create a standalone EXE in Fox 2.6 DOS.  About the same time I
>>get the "Creating an overlayed file" message, something goes wrong.  On one
>>machine, FoxPro hangs up or crashes; on the other machine, the whole system
>>crashes.

>>The distribution kit diskettes are not from the same packet as the FoxPro
>>diskettes.  Would this cause the problem, or are there other factors, such as
>>the Windows 98 environment or other versions of FoxPro and VFP on the computer?

>Hi,

>As mentioned in another post the distribution kit is a separate
>product so it will always be another packet. In FPD you can create 3
>different exe files:
>1. compact : requires 3 files (foxd2600.esl,
>foxd2600.eso,foxdx260.esl) to be delivered with the app.
>2.stand alone: uses no extended memory
>3. stand alone extended: uses extended memory.
>I suppose you're using option 2 which of course works with overlay
>files as no upper memory will be available.
>In this day and age when even the lowest pc has 32 MB of memory I
>cannot find a reason for doing so. It was always a 'temperamental' exe
>file and I guess you're running into memory conflicts with it even
>when creating it.
>My suggestion: go for option 1. compact. I have never had an problems
>with it (WFW,WIN95,WIN98,WINNT). You only have to make sure the 3
>mentioned files are - preferably- in the same dir as the 'exe'

I never encountered problems with run-time libraries (.ES*) in the path
(on Win 9x machines - in Windows\Command).

[ When replying, remove *'s from address ]
Alexandre Pechtchanski, Systems Manager, RUH, NY

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. FP DOS 2.6, Build Compact, Stand Alone, Extended?

2. FP Dos 2.6 Help with error in app build

3. 2.6/DOS: Cannot Build Stand-Alone EXE

4. transporting report from FP 2.6 for DOS to FP 2.6 for Windows

5. I need a patch to FP 2.5 or 2.6 for DOS to make *.exe files

6. 2.6 Dos Build Executable or Build Executable Extended

7. Unable to find unknown XXXXX after building EXE

8. FP 2.6 exe launch with FP Screen first

9. FoxPro DOS 2.6 - Unable to Process Error

10. Patch from FP 2.6 to 2.6 Error Foxprow.exe not a baseline file

11. Building a FPW2.6a DOS.EXE file using the Distribution Kit