print dialog box
Author Message
 print dialog box

OK. When I create a new form using the form wizard, the
new form comes with a default buttonset. One of
the 'buttons' in that set is a print button. When I run
the form from project manager, then click the
aforementioned print button, an 'Output' dialoag box
appears (I originally referred to this as a print dialog-
sorry). In this output dialog box, you may select output
type, options (what printer to use, filename,
etc), "Choose records" - all, current, Rest, and Sources--
a report for instance - or none.

I know I can provide the functionality I want, but I was
trying to use the provided resource, as it worked 'good
enough', and no extra coding - that's what it's all about.
Right?

When I compile the project and run the resulting exe, I no
longer get the design time 'output box'. What I get is a
more user friendly print preview with the print toolbar
that allows what page to print, etc., but not the choose
records selection. Maybe this is by design, so that most
of the time a developer will choose a specific regimen for
printing, rather than allowing the user all of the options
provided in the design time options box. This would make
sense, but I was hoping that this handy options box was
available nevertheless.

Being somewhat of a newbie with the visual foxpro
environment, I'm not sure where to access the code to
override any provided code. It would be nice to be able to
just add a few things to what Microsoft already has
provided for me.

I'll appreicate any suggestions.
THANKS!

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:17:57 GMT
 print dialog box
Hi John:

Based on your question, you are using the Wizstyle buttons that Form Wizard
adds to a form.  Remember, this from, you have an interaction between the
code in the physical command button and the underlying code of the
Wizstyle.vcx class.   This interaction can be quite complex in a Fox Wizard
form.  If you want to learn how the Form Wizard code functions, and that
can be a job in itself, well place a SET STEP ON in the Print command
button cmdPrint() and slowly trace the code. This code is not particularly
well commends because it is not meant as a training tool.

Instead of modifying a Form Wizard created form, I suggestion that you
simply observe the behavior of the dialog you desire to emulate and write
your own.  Most people find maintaining  their own code (containing their
own logic) a lot easier than modifying someone else's code.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>OK. When I create a new form using the form wizard, the
>new form comes with a default buttonset. One of
>the 'buttons' in that set is a print button. When I run
>the form from project manager, then click the
>aforementioned print button, an 'Output' dialoag box
>appears (I originally referred to this as a print dialog-
>sorry). In this output dialog box, you may select output
>type, options (what printer to use, filename,
>etc), "Choose records" - all, current, Rest, and Sources--
>a report for instance - or none.
>I know I can provide the functionality I want, but I was
>trying to use the provided resource, as it worked 'good
>enough', and no extra coding - that's what it's all about.
>Right?
>When I compile the project and run the resulting exe, I no
>longer get the design time 'output box'. What I get is a
>more user friendly print preview with the print toolbar
>that allows what page to print, etc., but not the choose
>records selection. Maybe this is by design, so that most
>of the time a developer will choose a specific regimen for
>printing, rather than allowing the user all of the options
>provided in the design time options box. This would make
>sense, but I was hoping that this handy options box was
>available nevertheless.
>Being somewhat of a newbie with the visual foxpro
>environment, I'm not sure where to access the code to
>override any provided code. It would be nice to be able to
>just add a few things to what Microsoft already has
>provided for me.
>I'll appreicate any suggestions.
>THANKS!

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:50:30 GMT
 print dialog box
Thanks Lee.
I did do a little tracing using the set step on and I can
eventually get to the fork in the road where I'm being
routed to either a windows default dialog box or what
appears as a design time only dialog box. What I was
really wanting to clarify was why is the design time
dialog box being offered when the runtime build version
doesn't use it. But this was a good exercise in being
reminded how I can trace through to find out when/what
action is triggered. I've done this before using C++, but
didn't realize that vfp has these nice developer features
as well.

I'll do a little more research on that output options
dialog. I was just trying to apply what I've learned about
deriving from existing classes when you like most or some
of the existing features. Yes, one can write the entire
code to provide total control, but I've been doing that
for years using dBASE -- I'm wanting to take advantage
using vfp provided classes, at least where it makes sense
to do so. This was one of those learning type exercises
and maybe is a good example where I could go ahead and
create my own print command - easy enough to do. But at
least now I have a better idea how to 'drill down' and get
to the underlying code. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:

confers no rights.

-
>>a report for instance - or none.

>>I know I can provide the functionality I want, but I was
>>trying to use the provided resource, as it worked 'good
>>enough', and no extra coding - that's what it's all
about.
>>Right?

>>When I compile the project and run the resulting exe, I
no
>>longer get the design time 'output box'. What I get is a
>>more user friendly print preview with the print toolbar
>>that allows what page to print, etc., but not the choose
>>records selection. Maybe this is by design, so that most
>>of the time a developer will choose a specific regimen
for
>>printing, rather than allowing the user all of the
options
>>provided in the design time options box. This would make
>>sense, but I was hoping that this handy options box was
>>available nevertheless.

>>Being somewhat of a newbie with the visual foxpro
>>environment, I'm not sure where to access the code to
>>override any provided code. It would be nice to be able
>>just add a few things to what Microsoft already has
>>provided for me.

>>I'll appreicate any suggestions.
>>THANKS!

>.

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 05:25:45 GMT
 print dialog box
Hi John:

I am glad this helped.  I appreciate your desire to use Visual FoxPro's OOP
capabilities to leverage pre-existing code- after all that is what classes
are all about.

However, I see a lot of people who simply use the Wizard created forms to
avoid really learning how to code. Then when something does go wrong and
they need to determine the cause, they are at a real loss since they lack
the in depth knowledge that comes from writing it yourself.  The 'shortcut'
turns out not to be such a shortcut after all. <s>

With that said you can still make your own print dialog class and use it to
your heart's content.  Also, don't forget functions such as GetPrinter()
and SYS(1037).  If you can use these functions, you won't need to create
your own dialog.

Best wishes in your FoxPro programming endeavors.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Thanks Lee.
>I did do a little tracing using the set step on and I can
>eventually get to the fork in the road where I'm being
>routed to either a windows default dialog box or what
>appears as a design time only dialog box. What I was
>really wanting to clarify was why is the design time
>dialog box being offered when the runtime build version
>doesn't use it. But this was a good exercise in being
>reminded how I can trace through to find out when/what
>action is triggered. I've done this before using C++, but
>didn't realize that vfp has these nice developer features
>as well.
>I'll do a little more research on that output options
>dialog. I was just trying to apply what I've learned about
>deriving from existing classes when you like most or some
>of the existing features. Yes, one can write the entire
>code to provide total control, but I've been doing that
>for years using dBASE -- I'm wanting to take advantage
>using vfp provided classes, at least where it makes sense
>to do so. This was one of those learning type exercises
>and maybe is a good example where I could go ahead and
>create my own print command - easy enough to do. But at
>least now I have a better idea how to 'drill down' and get
>to the underlying code. Thanks for the reminder.

confers no rights.

>Sincerely,
>Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
>Lee Mitchell

>>OK. When I create a new form using the form wizard, the
>>new form comes with a default buttonset. One of
>>the 'buttons' in that set is a print button. When I run
>>the form from project manager, then click the
>>aforementioned print button, an 'Output' dialoag box
>>appears (I originally referred to this as a print dialog-
>>sorry). In this output dialog box, you may select output
>>type, options (what printer to use, filename,
>>etc), "Choose records" - all, current, Rest, and Sources-
-
>>a report for instance - or none.

>>I know I can provide the functionality I want, but I was
>>trying to use the provided resource, as it worked 'good
>>enough', and no extra coding - that's what it's all
about.
>>Right?

>>When I compile the project and run the resulting exe, I
no
>>longer get the design time 'output box'. What I get is a
>>more user friendly print preview with the print toolbar
>>that allows what page to print, etc., but not the choose
>>records selection. Maybe this is by design, so that most
>>of the time a developer will choose a specific regimen
for
>>printing, rather than allowing the user all of the
options
>>provided in the design time options box. This would make
>>sense, but I was hoping that this handy options box was
>>available nevertheless.

>>Being somewhat of a newbie with the visual foxpro
>>environment, I'm not sure where to access the code to
>>override any provided code. It would be nice to be able
>>just add a few things to what Microsoft already has
>>provided for me.

>>I'll appreicate any suggestions.
>>THANKS!

>.

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 06:40:53 GMT

1. Pages Printed Dialog Box

2. Print Dialog Box

3. Printing dialog box.

4. How to access print dialog box

5. How to get the normal Print dialog box up in VFP 3.0

6. VFP50 - Printing dialog box

7. Print options dialog box in print preview

8. Cannot disable the number of copies option in Print Dialog box.

9. How to print without using Dialog Box

10. How can I Prevent FoxPro from displaying dialog box during report printing

11. Print Setup Dialog Box in FoxPro 2.6 DOS

12. White spot on form after dialog boxes.