DB2?
Author Message
 DB2?

We may be moving to a data warehouse using DB2.  I was wondering if anyone
had any good/bad experiences using VFP and DB2.  Is it easy to talk back and
forth?  Are there some good web sites that I can visit to read?  I'm just
trying to get an idea of what may be in store.

TIA
-Bruce Duncan

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:02:59 GMT
 DB2?

Quote:

We have completed a few VFP -> DB2 (AS400) projects. All
good. DB2 is very powerful (particularly the last two
releases), but it has it's own pros and cons. Just as
Oracle and SQL Server do.

Are you looking for web sites that bring you up to speed
on DB2 or for a web site that discusses VFP -> DB2???

Paul

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:49:52 GMT
 DB2?
I was looking to read about VFP and DB2...if there are any.  I appreciate
your information.

-Bruce Duncan

Quote:

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 05:52:17 GMT
 DB2?
Bruce,

We have been using DB2 with VFP 6.0 , VB 6.0, ASP and Java for the
last 3 or 4 years now. It has worked GREAT!

However, in using VFP, there are a couple of "gotchas". One example
would be if you try to use DB2 based stored procs. If they retirn a
result set, then you're probably OK. If they return a value, then you
may run in to data type problems since VFP is not a strongly typed
language. Another area you may have problems with is the use of LOB
type data (CLOB, BLOB). VFP limits you to 133 chars if you have the
DB2 client setting "LONGDATACOMPAT=0" and works great if DB2 is set
for LONGDATACOMPAT=1 , but then some DB2 utils don't function right.

All in all, it has been a good combination and wickedly fast! As far
as the "gotchas", I beleive these (or something similar) would exist
if you used Oracle, Sybase, Informix, etc.

If you have specific questions, lemme know!

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:02:59 -0500, "Bruce Duncan"

Quote:

>We may be moving to a data warehouse using DB2.  I was wondering if anyone
>had any good/bad experiences using VFP and DB2.  Is it easy to talk back and
>forth?  Are there some good web sites that I can visit to read?  I'm just
>trying to get an idea of what may be in store.

>TIA
>-Bruce Duncan

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:42:32 GMT

1. VFP-to-DB2 Conversion - DB2 CLOB fields in remote views

2. Mac ODBC-DB2/6000 drivers??

3. Advice on VFP6 to DB2 via ODBC

4. SQL on DB2 tables

5. Foxpro 2.6 connect to remote DB2 server

6. Strange results using remote views to access db2 database

7. DB2 & ODBC

8. VFP and IBM DB2

9. VFP to DB2 - Converting Memo Fields

10. VFP->DB2 - NULLs?