Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)
Author Message
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)

Hi,
I'm using this control because I have been told that it supports both
vertical and horizontal scrollbars. I selected the option "BOTH" in the
scrollbars property of the control, but it shows ONLY the vertical
scrollbar. Why doesn't it show the horizontal bar?
I must be missing something, I 'm sure, but what?

I'm using VFP6 SP5 on a W2K box.

TIA,
        Villi

Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:05:40 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)
It's been awhile, but I do believe you have to set the RightMargin property
of the RichText control in order to get horizontal scrollbars.

--

Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

:: Hi,
:: I'm using this control because I have been told that it supports both
:: vertical and horizontal scrollbars. I selected the option "BOTH" in
:: the scrollbars property of the control, but it shows ONLY the
:: vertical scrollbar. Why doesn't it show the horizontal bar?
:: I must be missing something, I 'm sure, but what?
::
:: I'm using VFP6 SP5 on a W2K box.
::
:: TIA,
:: Villi

---

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:09:01 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)

Quote:

> It's been awhile, but I do believe you have to set the RightMargin property
> of the RichText control in order to get horizontal scrollbars.

Really? The Rightmargin property?
I would never get there without this tip. Thanks Fred.

BTW, where can I find some more info about that control? I have only the
  property/method comments in the VFP properties window, and this is of
  little help for me. Things like this one of the scrollbar are probably
documented somewhere, but where?

Thanks again,
        Villi

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:51:56 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)

Quote:

> It's been awhile, but I do believe you have to set the RightMargin property
> of the RichText control in order to get horizontal scrollbars.

I tried many values of that property, but my horiz. scrollbar did never
appear.
The "rightmargin" property seems to be measured in charachters from the
left margin, and as I raise it, it looks like VFP cuts it down in some
ways. If I set it to 200, i get about 30 charachters per line, if I set
it to 300 I get 32, setting it to 100 gave me lines of 15 chars...

Tonight I will have a nightmare of me reading a VB handbook...
Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

        Villi
        strollin' for scrollin'

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:31:44 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)
In the Form Designer, select the RichText control with the mouse and press
F1.  You should get the help for it.

It should be in c:\windows\help\rtfbox98.chm if it doesn't pop-up.

--

[...]

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:50:58 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)
If you can't get the help to come up (see other post) here's the help for
the RightMargin property.  Not much (as is most ActiveX help), but it is
better than nothing.

RightMargin Property

Returns or sets the right margin for the text in a RichTextBox control.

Syntax

object.RightMargin [ = value]

The RightMargin property syntax has these parts:

      Part Description
      object Anobject expression that evaluates to a RichTextBox control.
      value Anumeric expression specifying the indent in twips from the
right edge of the text to the right edge of the control, as described below.

Remarks

The RightMargin property is used to set the right most limit for text
wrapping, centering, and indentation. Centering a paragraph is based on the
left most part of the text portion(doesn't include borders) of the
RichTextBox control and the RightMargin property. Also, when setting the
SelRightIndent property, it will be based on the current setting of the
RightMargin property.

The default for the RightMargin property is 0 and will cause the control to
set text wrapping equal to the right most part of the RichTextBox control so
all text is viewable.

Note   When calculating a value for the RightMargin property, you must take
in to account the width of the borders of the RichTextBox control if
BorderStyle is set to rtfFixedSingle.

--

[...]

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:53:04 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)

Quote:

> If you can't get the help to come up (see other post) here's the help for
> the RightMargin property.  Not much (as is most ActiveX help), but it is
> better than nothing.

> RightMargin Property

> Returns or sets the right margin for the text in a RichTextBox control.

> Syntax

> object.RightMargin [ = value]

> The RightMargin property syntax has these parts:

>       Part Description
>       object Anobject expression that evaluates to a RichTextBox control.
>       value Anumeric expression specifying the indent in twips from the
> right edge of the text to the right edge of the control, as described below.

> Remarks

> The RightMargin property is used to set the right most limit for text
> wrapping, centering, and indentation. Centering a paragraph is based on the
> left most part of the text portion(doesn't include borders) of the
> RichTextBox control and the RightMargin property. Also, when setting the
> SelRightIndent property, it will be based on the current setting of the
> RightMargin property.

> The default for the RightMargin property is 0 and will cause the control to
> set text wrapping equal to the right most part of the RichTextBox control so
> all text is viewable.

> Note   When calculating a value for the RightMargin property, you must take
> in to account the width of the borders of the RichTextBox control if
> BorderStyle is set to rtfFixedSingle.

> --

> Fred
> Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
> Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.

> ::: It's been awhile, but I do believe you have to set the RightMargin
> ::: property of the RichText control in order to get horizontal
> ::: scrollbars.
> ::
> ::
> :: I tried many values of that property, but my horiz. scrollbar did
> :: never appear.
> :: The "rightmargin" property seems to be measured in charachters from
> :: the left margin, and as I raise it, it looks like VFP cuts it down
> :: in some ways. If I set it to 200, i get about 30 charachters per
> :: line, if I set it to 300 I get 32, setting it to 100 gave me lines
> :: of 15 chars...
> ::
> :: Tonight I will have a nightmare of me reading a VB handbook...
> :: Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
> ::
> :: Villi
> :: strollin' for scrollin'

> ---

thanks much, I didn't have that .chm (looked for it on the whole PC,
nothing)!

                Villi

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:11:17 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)
finally I did it, with that extract from the .chm you posted, I
understood the rightmargin property (and its unit of measure) and got it
working.

I owe you a beer! If you get to Italy mail me :o)

        Villi

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:33:01 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)
Glad it helped.  Maybe someday I'll be able to take you up on that offer for
a beer!

--

Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.

:: finally I did it, with that extract from the .chm you posted, I
:: understood the rightmargin property (and its unit of measure) and
:: got it working.
::
:: I owe you a beer! If you get to Italy mail me :o)
::
:: Villi

---

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:44:13 GMT
 Microsoft Rich textBox Control 6.0 (SP 4)
::: If you can't get the help to come up (see other post) here's the
::: help for the RightMargin property.  Not much (as is most ActiveX
::: help), but it is better than nothing.
:::
::: RightMargin Property
:::
:::
[...]
::: --
:::
::: Fred
::: Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
::: Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.
:::
:::
:::
:::::: It's been awhile, but I do believe you have to set the
:::::: RightMargin property of the RichText control in order to get
:::::: horizontal scrollbars.
:::::
:::::
::::: I tried many values of that property, but my horiz. scrollbar did
::::: never appear.
::::: The "rightmargin" property seems to be measured in charachters
::::: from the left margin, and as I raise it, it looks like VFP cuts
::::: it down in some ways. If I set it to 200, i get about 30
::::: charachters per line, if I set it to 300 I get 32, setting it to
::::: 100 gave me lines of 15 chars...
:::::
::::: Tonight I will have a nightmare of me reading a VB handbook...
::::: Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
:::::
::::: Villi
::::: strollin' for scrollin'
:::
:::
::: ---
:::
:::
::
:: thanks much, I didn't have that .chm (looked for it on the whole PC,
:: nothing)!
::
:: Villi

Did you have VS6 or just VFP6?  If you have VS6, it should be on one of the
CDs.  It's also been on several of the MSDN library CDs.   Maybe you can
download it from Microsoft?

--

Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.

---

Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:41:46 GMT

1. Rich TextBox Control and Reporting

2. rich textbox control

3. Rich TextBox Control

4. Printing Rich Textbox Active X Control source data in a VFP5.0 report

5. Rich Text Control (RichTX32.OCX) -- Acts like dumb textbox

6. print Rich TextBox control

7. VFP 6.0 - Microsoft Internet Transfer Control (MSINET.OCX)

8. Microsoft Listview Control 6.0 (SP4)

9. Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 6.0 version control system

10. Microsoft Internet Transfer Activex Control 6.0 (SP4)

11. MS Data Grid Control 6.0 (OLE DB) and MS ADO Data Control 6.0

12. Rich Text Controls -- TX Control vs AllText