Database Views and Speed of Retrieval
Author Message
 Database Views and Speed of Retrieval

Hi All,

I understand that the use of  views in a database container makes upsizing
to a SQL backend much easier.

The only problem with using views in a database is the overhead of
temporary files which are needed to build up these views when they are
required.

On the other hand a simple select statement that can be built up in code
does not require these temporary files and executes much faster.

Is it better to use SQL pass-through rather than views when you upsize?

I would be interested to know about anybody's experiences with database
views and what problems they had (if any).

Regards

Wayne Russell CEng

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Database Views and Speed of Retrieval

Quote:

>I would be interested to know about anybody's experiences with database
>views and what problems they had (if any).

One big problem is if your program is standalone and client server. If you
locally join tables with the same field name, it makes the field names
field_a and field_b. In a remote view, it makes the names field and field1.
You can't change this in the designer, so you have to create the views
manually (which is a pain).

From the standpoint of saving information in a view that's been modified, it
makes real sense to use the view. In one command you've update the
information in your database. But they can be a pain to set up under certain
circumstances.

Rob

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Database Views and Speed of Retrieval

Hi Rob,

Thanks for responding to the thread.

Do you know if the performance of views when used in a database  is any
slower than a natively coded select statement?

Is there any reason why a view should be slower and require more disk space
for its temporary files?

Regards

Wayne Russell

Quote:

> >I would be interested to know about anybody's experiences with database
> >views and what problems they had (if any).

> One big problem is if your program is standalone and client server. If
you
> locally join tables with the same field name, it makes the field names
> field_a and field_b. In a remote view, it makes the names field and
field1.
> You can't change this in the designer, so you have to create the views
> manually (which is a pain).

> From the standpoint of saving information in a view that's been modified,
it
> makes real sense to use the view. In one command you've update the
> information in your database. But they can be a pain to set up under
certain
> circumstances.

> Rob

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Database Views and Speed of Retrieval

I don't notice a speed decrease when using views as opposed to native
selects.

As for why a view is slower, I'm not sure..maybe someone else knows or
Microsoft has an answer for you..

Rob

Quote:
>Hi Rob,

>Thanks for responding to the thread.

>Do you know if the performance of views when used in a database  is any
>slower than a natively coded select statement?

>Is there any reason why a view should be slower and require more disk space
>for its temporary files?

>Regards

>Wayne Russell

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Database Views and Speed of Retrieval

Hi Rob,

If you use GenDBC in VFP to regenerate the DBC from scratch  there does
seem a lot of code to reconstitute the views.

How would views compare when used in stead of SQL pass-through on a SQL
backend?

Regards

Wayne

Quote:
> I don't notice a speed decrease when using views as opposed to native
> selects.

> As for why a view is slower, I'm not sure..maybe someone else knows or
> Microsoft has an answer for you..

> Rob

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. slow retrieval speed, need improve!

2. Speed problems with Remote views!!!!

3. Maxiumum speed for views

4. Remote view or SQL PT Speed?

5. Local view update speed

6. Q: Fox Speed on Largish Database / Rushmore / Extended Fox

7. View speed question

8. Speed remote views

9. Q:Experience, Text retrieval with FoxPro ?

10. ODBC / Oracle record retrieval

11. Help, Fox Pro 2.6 data retrieval

12. Retrieval of corrupt files in FPW25.