Problems with calling Forms from Forms witihin a Top Level App
Author Message
 Problems with calling Forms from Forms witihin a Top Level App

    I've recently created a simple app which is only a collection of
forms, and runs very simply from A to B to C (forms).  The problem I'm
encountering:   The A form is run off of quick start and has a continue
control which loads the B form ("thisform.release" followed by a "Do
Form b.scx").  The only problem is that the A form is released, but the
B form is not loaded.   I can't seem to figure this out, if anyone has
any suggestions they would be appreciated.

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dennis Keane

NetMeeting IP/Server:  209.64.195.121/ils.quicknet.net

North Conway, NH

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problems with calling Forms from Forms witihin a Top Level App
when you do a thisform.release you release the current form. hence any
commands after this line will not be executed

if from A has to call form B , in the code for the continue control say - do
form b

ravi

Quote:

>    I've recently created a simple app which is only a collection of
>forms, and runs very simply from A to B to C (forms).  The problem I'm
>encountering:   The A form is run off of quick start and has a continue
>control which loads the B form ("thisform.release" followed by a "Do
>Form b.scx").  The only problem is that the A form is released, but the
>B form is not loaded.   I can't seem to figure this out, if anyone has
>any suggestions they would be appreciated.

>--
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Dennis Keane

>NetMeeting IP/Server:  209.64.195.121/ils.quicknet.net

>North Conway, NH

Mon, 10 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problems with calling Forms from Forms witihin a Top Level App

Quote:

>when you do a thisform.release you release the current form. hence any
>commands after this line will not be executed

This is just plain not true. I suggest you test your statements before you
post them. Code in the current method will be completed after
ThisForm.Release, followed by a sequence of events triggered by the Release
method.

David Dunetz
SweetWARE

Mon, 10 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problems with calling Forms from Forms witihin a Top Level App
Code after Release thisform is nonsense, since there is no thisform to run
code from. Even if it works (which is not true, my guess is you get a GP
error) this is bad programming practice.

--
*****************************
Robert van Geel

Quote:

> >when you do a thisform.release you release the current form. hence any
> >commands after this line will not be executed

> This is just plain not true. I suggest you test your statements before you
> post them. Code in the current method will be completed after
> ThisForm.Release, followed by a sequence of events triggered by the
Release
> method.

> David Dunetz
> SweetWARE

Mon, 10 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problems with calling Forms from Forms witihin a Top Level App
i stand corrected. sorry. but i normally use release as the last line
in my method. never saw a reason to have code after a thisform.release
statement.

anyway thanks for correcting me. and sorry once again

ravi

Quote:

> >when you do a thisform.release you release the current form. hence
any
> >commands after this line will not be executed

> This is just plain not true. I suggest you test your statements
before you
> post them. Code in the current method will be completed after
> ThisForm.Release, followed by a sequence of events triggered by the
Release
> method.

> David Dunetz
> SweetWARE

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 11 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problems with calling Forms from Forms witihin a Top Level App
Try this:

Create a test form.
Drop a command button on the form.
In the button.Click put the following code:
    ThisForm.Release()
    WAIT WINDOW 'In click event ' + ThisForm.Caption

In the Form.Release put
    WAIT WINDOW 'In release'

Now run the form and click the button.

The WAIT in the Release fires. Then the Wait in the Click fires. The
"ThisForm" reference in the click event (after the call to Release) is still
valid.

David Dunetz
SweetWARE

Quote:

>Code after Release thisform is nonsense, since there is no thisform to run
>code from. Even if it works (which is not true, my guess is you get a GP
>error) this is bad programming practice.

>--
>*****************************
>Robert van Geel
>Plantage Badlaan 26
>1018 TJ Amsterdam
>020 6228675
>06 22255320
>*************************

>> >when you do a thisform.release you release the current form. hence any
>> >commands after this line will not be executed

>> This is just plain not true. I suggest you test your statements before
you
>> post them. Code in the current method will be completed after
>> ThisForm.Release, followed by a sequence of events triggered by the
>Release
>> method.

>> David Dunetz
>> SweetWARE

Tue, 11 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Strange problem with modal forms and Application in top-level form

2. Adding a Top Level Form to an app object based on a formset

3. addressing form from menu on top level form ?

4. Top level form menu & active form

5. release form - from menubar of top level form ?

6. Top Level form/Modal form conflict.

7. Question: Forms displayed inside other top-level forms

8. Top level form - modal form ??

9. Form not appearing in top-level form.

10. Form not appearing in top-level form.

11. top level forms, child forms, _Screen, the main foxpro window

12. Top Level Form, Menus and Form's Properties