Having a problem changing the registry on NT
Author Message
 Having a problem changing the registry on NT

I am having a problem with a program running on Windows NT Workstation. The
customer has 3 out of 4 of his machines working without a problem.  The last
machine is not updating the registry properly.  I am using a
Windows API call to update the registry.  I have had problems before and
they were all releated to permissions or Anti-Virus protection software.  I
have checked for both of these conditions with no result.

Does anyone know what setting a Windows NT Workstation might have that would
prevent a VFP program from updating the registry in this way.

Note:  The customer does not know if he is logging into a domain controller.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thx in advance
Dan

* Note: API function that is being used
DECLARE INTEGER RegSetValueEx ;
        IN Win32API ;
        INTEGER nHKey,;
        STRING lpszEntry,;
        INTEGER dwReserved,;
        INTEGER fdwType,;
        STRING lpbData,;
        INTEGER cbData

Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:43:11 GMT
 Having a problem changing the registry on NT
Hi Dan:

The first thing I would do is log on as the Administrator of the machine
and run the application.  Does the code work?  Check the profile the
Windows user may be using.  If the user profile is restrictive, then this
could cause the behavior. If the code works on other machines, it must be
some configuration issue on the offending machine.

Do you get an error message? Have you looked at any of the Windows NT 4.0
event logs (Application, System, Security) to see if any errors or warnings
are being generated?

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
   - VFP5 Mainstream Support retires June 30th, 2003
   - VFP6 Mainstream Support retires Sep. 30th, 2003

Quote:
>I am having a problem with a program running on Windows NT Workstation. The
>customer has 3 out of 4 of his machines working without a problem.  The
last
>machine is not updating the registry properly.  I am using a
>Windows API call to update the registry.  I have had problems before and
>they were all releated to permissions or Anti-Virus protection software.  I
>have checked for both of these conditions with no result.
>Does anyone know what setting a Windows NT Workstation might have that
would
>prevent a VFP program from updating the registry in this way.
>Note:  The customer does not know if he is logging into a domain

controller.

Quote:
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Thx in advance
>Dan
>* Note: API function that is being used
>DECLARE INTEGER RegSetValueEx ;

 >       IN Win32API ;
 >       INTEGER nHKey,;
  >      STRING lpszEntry,;
   >     INTEGER dwReserved,;
 >       INTEGER fdwType,;
Quote:
>        STRING lpbData,;
>        INTEGER cbData

Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:54:19 GMT
 Having a problem changing the registry on NT
Hi, Dan!
You wrote  on Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:43:11 -0400:

[Sorry, skipped]

 D> Does anyone know what setting a Windows NT Workstation might have that
 D> would prevent a VFP program from updating the registry in this way.

Run regedit under the same account and try to change this value manually,
can you do it?

 D> * Note: API function that is being used
 D> DECLARE INTEGER RegSetValueEx ;
 D>         IN Win32API ;
 D>         INTEGER nHKey,;
 D>         STRING lpszEntry,;
 D>         INTEGER dwReserved,;
 D>         INTEGER fdwType,;
 D>         STRING lpbData,;
 D>         INTEGER cbData

Add another API call :

DECLARE INTEGER GetLastError IN WIN32API

And check what it return after any fault call to another API functions - you
may need to find winerror.h file or goor WinAPI reference (from C++ or any
other low-level programming language, say Delphi) to be able to dechiper
this numeric error code...

WBR, Igor

Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:23:28 GMT
 Having a problem changing the registry on NT
Hi Lee,

Quote:
> Do you get an error message? Have you looked at any of the Windows NT 4.0
> event logs (Application, System, Security) to see if any errors or
warnings
> are being generated?

As far as error messages, no.. No popup messages or errors when the program
runs.  I did not consider to look at the event log, so I'll give that a
try...  I'll let you know.

Thx again,
Dan Tallent

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:00:11 GMT
 Having a problem changing the registry on NT
I found alot of event log entries from a software called Fix-It 2000
Utilities.  I told the user to disable this software as well as thier Nortan
Anti-Virus software.

It still does update the registry.  Do to lack of hours in the day, I have
not been able to try Igor's suggestion of running the RegSetValueEx API
function.  I will give that a try as time permits.. Thx again

Dan

Quote:
> Hi Lee,

> > Do you get an error message? Have you looked at any of the Windows NT
4.0
> > event logs (Application, System, Security) to see if any errors or
> warnings
> > are being generated?

> As far as error messages, no.. No popup messages or errors when the
program
> runs.  I did not consider to look at the event log, so I'll give that a
> try...  I'll let you know.

> Thx again,
> Dan Tallent

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:30:06 GMT

1. Reading from Win NT / Win 95 Registry

2. registry access in win9x and nt

3. Changing user name in registry

4. Registry commands changed?

5. Registry changes with VFP -- HOW??

6. Registry access using registry class supplied with vfp 7

7. still having problems- hiding input fields

8. I'm having PROBLEMS whit a project...

9. problem sql usando el having

10. FP 2.6 having problems under NT4.0

11. Having a real problem with Print Preview.