.DBC (and other) Incompatibilities in VFP6 vs. VFP8
Author Message
 .DBC (and other) Incompatibilities in VFP6 vs. VFP8

I am considering upgrading from VFP6 to VFP8 with new tools, and
improved debugging capabilities of newest version.  I have a very
large legacy 6.0 app that I need to upgrade, and maintain.

My boss is concerned with incompatibilities across the board between
6.0 and 8.0, especially .DBC, and .DBF files.

Can I cleanly upgrade, or is it a messy, time-intensive process?

Fz - Boston MA

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:56:00 GMT
 .DBC (and other) Incompatibilities in VFP6 vs. VFP8
Hi Fred,

If you don't use any of the VFP7 or VFP8-specific features you can easily
share data among versions. Also, you should be able to share code among
versions and then just recompile in your distribution version. There are a
few instances where VFP8 will "break" your code - the SQL Select statement
has been made more ANSI compliant.

Most people have flawless upgrades, however, Mohammed Ashruff of ImagineCorp
has not. I don't recall exactly what he had trouble with but he has a large,
complex application.

VFP8 is very backward compatible so the "upgrade" consists of simply opening
your project in VFP8 and recompiling. Make a backup copy of your stuff,
recompile, and run some tests. Once you've seen VFP8 you won't want to go
back to any earlier version!

> I am considering upgrading from VFP6 to VFP8 with new tools, and
> improved debugging capabilities of newest version.  I have a very
> large legacy 6.0 app that I need to upgrade, and maintain.

> My boss is concerned with incompatibilities across the board between
> 6.0 and 8.0, especially .DBC, and .DBF files.

> Can I cleanly upgrade, or is it a messy, time-intensive process?

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:44:24 GMT
 .DBC (and other) Incompatibilities in VFP6 vs. VFP8
Hi Fred:

I agree with everything Cindy said.  I think the SELECT-SQL changes might
be the biggest surprises if you are not familiar with it. Since Visual
FoxPro 8 is so new, I cannot speak to any specific conversion problems.
However, as with any conversion, one must use common sense steps, such as
thoroughly testing the app in a test environment before rolling out the
application, backing up all files, and allowing proper time to learn the
new features of the VFP 8.0.

Since you are coming from Visual FoxPro 6.0, you might want to take a look
at the following books that discuss new features of VFP 7.0 and 8.0:

What New in Visual FoxPro 8.0 by Tamar Granor, et al; ISBN: 1-930919-06-9
What's New in Visual FoxPro 8.0 by Tamar E. Granor, et al; ISBN:
1-930919-40-9

These books are available at www.hentzenwerke.com and www.amazon.com.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Hi Fred,
>If you don't use any of the VFP7 or VFP8-specific features you can easily
>share data among versions. Also, you should be able to share code among
>versions and then just recompile in your distribution version. There are a
>few instances where VFP8 will "break" your code - the SQL Select statement
>has been made more ANSI compliant.
>Most people have flawless upgrades, however, Mohammed Ashruff of
ImagineCorp
>has not. I don't recall exactly what he had trouble with but he has a
large,
>complex application.
>VFP8 is very backward compatible so the "upgrade" consists of simply
opening
>your project in VFP8 and recompiling. Make a backup copy of your stuff,
>recompile, and run some tests. Once you've seen VFP8 you won't want to go

back to any earlier version!
Quote:
>--
>Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

>http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

> I am considering upgrading from VFP6 to VFP8 with new tools, and
> improved debugging capabilities of newest version.  I have a very
> large legacy 6.0 app that I need to upgrade, and maintain.

> My boss is concerned with incompatibilities across the board between
> 6.0 and 8.0, especially .DBC, and .DBF files.

> Can I cleanly upgrade, or is it a messy, time-intensive process?

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:56:51 GMT
 .DBC (and other) Incompatibilities in VFP6 vs. VFP8
Hi Fred,

The only thing I can think of that might cause you some difficulty is that
the SQL engine in VFP8 has been changed to be more ANSI compliant.  However
the Fox team gave you a Set command that will make it behave exactly as it
has in the past.  SET ENGINEBEHVIOR 70 and the  SQL command processor will
behave exactly as it always has.

pamela

Quote:
> I am considering upgrading from VFP6 to VFP8 with new tools, and
> improved debugging capabilities of newest version.  I have a very
> large legacy 6.0 app that I need to upgrade, and maintain.

> My boss is concerned with incompatibilities across the board between
> 6.0 and 8.0, especially .DBC, and .DBF files.

> Can I cleanly upgrade, or is it a messy, time-intensive process?

> Fz - Boston MA

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:16:11 GMT

1. .DBC (and other) Incompatibilities in VFP6 vs. VFP8

2. VFP8 vs. VFP6 IDE

3. Corruption in VFP vs Others

4. VFP6 - @say,get Incompatibility?

5. EMPTY class vs #DEFINE (VFP8)

6. _pageno mistake in vfp6, vfp7 and vfp8

7. Compatability issues for vfp6 -> vfp8

8. Free Tables vs DBC

9. DBC vs. Free Tables in ODBC

10. .dbc vs. free tables

11. Free tables vs dbc