Programmatically ALTERing TABLE structure of SQL table from VFP
Author Message
 Programmatically ALTERing TABLE structure of SQL table from VFP

Hello,

I would like to know if the structure of a backend SQL database table
can be programmatically modified via a call from a VFP frontend.

eg. =SQLEXEC(nhandle, "ALTER TABLE")

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:15:30 GMT
 Programmatically ALTERing TABLE structure of SQL table from VFP
Hi!

If backend suppotrs that command, you can do that. MS SQL Server supports
it. Note that syntax should be in SQl Server language. Also, user require to
have proper access rights to alter table structure.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I would like to know if the structure of a backend SQL database table
> can be programmatically modified via a call from a VFP frontend.

> eg. =SQLEXEC(nhandle, "ALTER TABLE")

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:55:49 GMT
 Programmatically ALTERing TABLE structure of SQL table from VFP
Yes

Quote:
> Hello,

> I would like to know if the structure of a backend SQL database table
> can be programmatically modified via a call from a VFP frontend.

> eg. =SQLEXEC(nhandle, "ALTER TABLE")

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:02:00 GMT
 Programmatically ALTERing TABLE structure of SQL table from VFP
Also note, depending on the backend (I'm assuming SQL server) and version,
only a few alterations may be available.
e.g., prior to SQL Server 7.0, you could not drop or resize/redefine a
column as you can in VFP.
I believe this is still true in the latest version of Oracle as well.

As Vlad said, you'll need to know the syntax for the target backend.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I would like to know if the structure of a backend SQL database table
> can be programmatically modified via a call from a VFP frontend.

> eg. =SQLEXEC(nhandle, "ALTER TABLE")

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:00:33 GMT

1. Alter Table - Alter Column - Set Default ?'s

2. VFP ALTER TABLE is fast -but why?

3. VFP ALTER TABLE is fast -but why?

4. Copying DBC structure & associated table structures

5. VFP 5.0 Problem Opening Table Programmatically

6. Programmatically change table field order in VFP?

7. vfp 6 table structure

8. TRYING TO UPDATE sql TABLES WITH FOX TABLES

9. Fox Table to SQL table

10. Update SQL 7 table from vpf6 table

11. ALTER TABLE.....

12. Status Bar on Alter Table