Security with deploying app
Author Message
 Security with deploying app

I have an app that uses a connection to a remote odbc source. The password
and server name are stored in the dbc, and anyone can open it up and gain
access to the remote table.

Is there a way to deploy an app that has a dbc, but make the dbc available
ONLY to my app?

Thanks,

AK.

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Security with deploying app
Why not just use an encryption algorithm for the data in the DBC?  Then, if
someone else does open it, they won't know what they are looking at.
I've just posted some code that will do this.  The program will give you
some ideas for encrypting the data and you may even want to modify it
further.  Be sure to use only test data when making changes.  I've tested it
and it seems to be working even on large memo fields.

--
John Harvey
http://home.att.net/~john.harvey/vfpstuff.htm

Quote:
> I have an app that uses a connection to a remote odbc source. The password
> and server name are stored in the dbc, and anyone can open it up and gain
> access to the remote table.

> Is there a way to deploy an app that has a dbc, but make the dbc available
> ONLY to my app?

> Thanks,

> AK.

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Security with deploying app
Yeah, I was thinking of doing this if no choice... But I was wondering if
there is something within foxpro that will let me password the DB...
Thanks.
AK.

Quote:
> Why not just use an encryption algorithm for the data in the DBC?  Then,
if
> someone else does open it, they won't know what they are looking at.
> I've just posted some code that will do this.  The program will give you
> some ideas for encrypting the data and you may even want to modify it
> further.  Be sure to use only test data when making changes.  I've tested
it
> and it seems to be working even on large memo fields.

> --
> John Harvey
> http://home.att.net/~john.harvey/vfpstuff.htm

> > I have an app that uses a connection to a remote odbc source. The
password
> > and server name are stored in the dbc, and anyone can open it up and
gain
> > access to the remote table.

> > Is there a way to deploy an app that has a dbc, but make the dbc
available
> > ONLY to my app?

> > Thanks,

> > AK.

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Foxpro app security

2. Code Security and APPs

3. Database security for Foxpro apps.

4. I think that I have discovered a major security bridge in Visual FoxPro app

5. SQL Server Security vs VFP Security...

6. Deploying a form

7. Deploying VFP application as MSI for dotnet

8. VFP8 application deployed with SetupFactory

9. Dynamically Deploying Packages

10. Updating deployed database

11. Updating a deployed table

12. How to deploy a VFP7 application