Auto Increment Field
Author Message
 Auto Increment Field

Hello,

I am a student in Athens University at the department of
informatics. I have to prepare a series of projects using
different RDBMS. Comparing MS Access XP against MS FoxPro
7 my results are that MS FoxPro 7 is stronger than MS
Access XP but I think MS Access has a strong point which
is missing from MS FoxPro. MS Access has field data type
Autonumber which is value gets increased by one each time
a new recorded is added to the table. In MS FoxPro 7 there
is no any equivalent data type or any function to use its
returning value as the default value for the field.

I will be very grateful if you send me your suggestions
about the solution of this problem. It will be very
helpful to me if you also reply directly to my e-mail.

Thank you,

Christos Stavinou

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:23:09 GMT
 Auto Increment Field

Quote:

> I am a student in Athens University at the department of
> informatics. I have to prepare a series of projects using
> different RDBMS. Comparing MS Access XP against MS FoxPro
> 7 my results are that MS FoxPro 7 is stronger than MS
> Access XP but I think MS Access has a strong point which
> is missing from MS FoxPro. MS Access has field data type
> Autonumber which is value gets increased by one each time
> a new recorded is added to the table. In MS FoxPro 7 there
> is no any equivalent data type or any function to use its
> returning value as the default value for the field.

> I will be very grateful if you send me your suggestions
> about the solution of this problem. It will be very
> helpful to me if you also reply directly to my e-mail.

You can build your own autoincrement function easily.
You can find an example in the Tastrade sample database that comes with
VFP : look for NewID in the stored procedures

VFP8 has an autoincrement field so the problem will disappear

Christian Desbourse (Belgium)
www.cdesbourse.com

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:17:23 GMT

1. Auto Increment Field

2. Auto Increment Field

3. Auto-Incremented field

4. Auto-increment Field in Foxpro

5. auto-increment field

6. Auto-incrementing a primary key field

7. auto increment a field

8. Visual FoxPro ODBC driver fails with "Not a table" if table has auto-incrementing field

9. is there anyway to make an auto-increment field as in Access?

10. Auto Increment

11. Auto-Incrementing

12. Auto Incrementing Primary Key