SQL-Select on buffered tables
Author Message
 SQL-Select on buffered tables

Hello,

1) can anybody tell me why vfp's select-sql ignores new-records on a
buffered table?
2) is there a backdoor?

As I know a new record in a buffered table recieves a RecNo()<0. If you make
a select on it, those records will not appear...

SELECT * FROM <bufferedtable> WHERE .T.

Quote:
>Alexander Lagler

---------------------------------
Quote:
>Softwaresysteme GTLDATA GmbH
>Radetzkystra?e 4
>9020 Klagenfurt
>AUSTRIA

---------------------------------
Quote:
>+43 (0)463 - 51 58 88 - 21

Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:15:28 GMT
 SQL-Select on buffered tables
Since nobody more experienced than I answered, I'll give it a shot.
I think 1 is by design - changes are not permanent until committed.

Two work arounds come to mind. (I'm guessing you want to do some validation
as a group prior to committing changes.)

a. If you copy to a temporary table for your condition, the changed records
will be copied, not the original.  You can then use this table however you
choose.

b. Alternately, you can wrap everything in a transaction, and if you
validation fails, you can rollback your changes.

HTH Dorothy

Quote:
> Hello,

> 1) can anybody tell me why vfp's select-sql ignores new-records on a
> buffered table?
> 2) is there a backdoor?

> As I know a new record in a buffered table recieves a RecNo()<0. If you
make
> a select on it, those records will not appear...

> SELECT * FROM <bufferedtable> WHERE .T.

> >Alexander Lagler
> ---------------------------------
> >Softwaresysteme GTLDATA GmbH
> >Radetzkystra?e 4
> >9020 Klagenfurt
> >AUSTRIA
> ---------------------------------
> >+43 (0)463 - 51 58 88 - 21

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:40:24 GMT
 SQL-Select on buffered tables
The backdoor is to use the Xbase commands on buufered rows.
SCAN, REPLACE, COPY TO ARRAY all work on the buffer.
The SQL copmmands rread from disk and the buffere isn't there yet.
-Anders

Quote:
> Hello,

> 1) can anybody tell me why vfp's select-sql ignores new-records on a
> buffered table?
> 2) is there a backdoor?

> As I know a new record in a buffered table recieves a RecNo()<0. If you
make
> a select on it, those records will not appear...

> SELECT * FROM <bufferedtable> WHERE .T.

> >Alexander Lagler
> ---------------------------------
> >Softwaresysteme GTLDATA GmbH
> >Radetzkystra?e 4
> >9020 Klagenfurt
> >AUSTRIA
> ---------------------------------
> >+43 (0)463 - 51 58 88 - 21

Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:01:45 GMT

1. SQL Select from Buffered Table

2. SQL Select & Table Buffering

3. Problem with Select SQL and table buffering

4. Problem with Select SQL and table buffering

5. SQL-Select from table-buffered cursor

6. How can you SQL select buffered tables

7. How can you SQL Select buffered tables

8. Table buffering and SQL SELECT and DE

9. Update SQL On Buffer Mode Override = Optimistic Table Buffering

10. - How to SELECT from table buffered view without issuing TABLEUPDATE

11. SELECT from a view with table buffering question

12. SELECT on buffered tables