VFP6 will not print first character in line
Author Message
 VFP6 will not print first character in line

I am using VFP 6 with a PRG program to print lables.

I'm using the Windows Generic/Text only printer
and sending output to an Okidata ML393 printer.

When the ? commands in the PRG program attempt
to print, they leave out the first character to
be printed in every line printed.  In addition,
I'm getting occasional spurious line feeds which
spoils the one-up printing runs.

My entire setup was working fine before to
do the above, but now
it is doing this first character skipping/spurious
line feed behaviour after no apparent change that
I can determine occurred.

I can send text files to the printer in the
DOS window and everything works fine.

HELP!!!

Alex Sagady

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 04:16:05 GMT
 VFP6 will not print first character in line
Hi Alex:

Are you using ?? to print in raw mode?  By printing in raw mode, you bypass
the Windows printer driver.

I do not have an idea as to why the first character of a line would be
omitted.
However, I have some suggestions for the problem with the page eject.
First, try setting
_PADVANCE="LINEFEEDS."

Second are you using SET PRINTER ON command with the ??? command to output
data to a printer? If so, the ?? command opens the print job and the SET
PRINTER ON closes it; therefore, you get a page eject.

Have you considered using the Label Writer instead of ? commands to print
your labels?

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>I am using VFP 6 with a PRG program to print lables.
>I'm using the Windows Generic/Text only printer
>and sending output to an Okidata ML393 printer.
>When the ? commands in the PRG program attempt
>to print, they leave out the first character to
>be printed in every line printed.  In addition,
>I'm getting occasional spurious line feeds which
>spoils the one-up printing runs.
>My entire setup was working fine before to
>do the above, but now
>it is doing this first character skipping/spurious
>line feed behaviour after no apparent change that
>I can determine occurred.
>I can send text files to the printer in the
>DOS window and everything works fine.
>HELP!!!
>Alex Sagady

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 05:52:02 GMT
 VFP6 will not print first character in line
Dear Mr. Mitchell....Thanks for your reply....

from doing a google search of USENET news, I discovered
other Windows 2000 SP3 users having the same
problem of not being able to print the first
character.   It won't even print the first character when
I run the command "list status to print"

Here is a fragment from something I found.   Is
MS going to fix this?

 >One of these could also be involved.
 >.
 >It's definitely the sp3.  I have 2 machines running the
generic text printer to print our shipping labels.  When I
first came across the problem I had just installed sp4 for
sequel server, sp3 for Win2k, and all the patches after
sp3.  I tested a new machine with sp2, sql sp4, and all
the other patches-worked fine.  Applied sp3 and lost it.
You can't even print from an sp3 machine to a shared
printer.  I used a work around of adding an extra
character to the start of each line and am working fine
until they fix the problem.

Good Luck!

Quote:

> Hi Alex:

> Are you using ?? to print in raw mode?  By printing in raw mode, you bypass
> the Windows printer driver.

> I do not have an idea as to why the first character of a line would be
> omitted.
> However, I have some suggestions for the problem with the page eject.
> First, try setting
> _PADVANCE="LINEFEEDS."

> Second are you using SET PRINTER ON command with the ??? command to output
> data to a printer? If so, the ?? command opens the print job and the SET
> PRINTER ON closes it; therefore, you get a page eject.

> Have you considered using the Label Writer instead of ? commands to print
> your labels?

> I hope this helps.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

>>I am using VFP 6 with a PRG program to print lables.

>>I'm using the Windows Generic/Text only printer
>>and sending output to an Okidata ML393 printer.

>>When the ? commands in the PRG program attempt
>>to print, they leave out the first character to
>>be printed in every line printed.  In addition,
>>I'm getting occasional spurious line feeds which
>>spoils the one-up printing runs.

>>My entire setup was working fine before to
>>do the above, but now
>>it is doing this first character skipping/spurious
>>line feed behaviour after no apparent change that
>>I can determine occurred.

>>I can send text files to the printer in the
>>DOS window and everything works fine.

>>HELP!!!

>>Alex Sagady

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:34:20 GMT
 VFP6 will not print first character in line
Hi Alex:

Thanks for the additional information.  If this problem started when you
installed Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, then this sounds like one of the
known printing problems this SP causes.  You are using Windows 2000 SP3,
correct? Do you see the problem on a Windows 2000 machine without SP3?

If this is SP3 related, you need to contact the Windows group and have them
send you hot fixes for this problem.  Here is an article that mentions a
common problem we see when printing to shared printers over SP3. Note the
problem resides in Windows and not VFP.

328020 Redirected Printing Through a Terminal Services Session May Not Work
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328020

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Dear Mr. Mitchell....Thanks for your reply....
>from doing a google search of USENET news, I discovered
>other Windows 2000 SP3 users having the same
>problem of not being able to print the first
>character.   It won't even print the first character when
>I run the command "list status to print"
>Here is a fragment from something I found.   Is
>MS going to fix this?

 >One of these could also be involved.
 >.
 >It's definitely the sp3.  I have 2 machines running the

Quote:
>generic text printer to print our shipping labels.  When I
>first came across the problem I had just installed sp4 for
>sequel server, sp3 for Win2k, and all the patches after
>sp3.  I tested a new machine with sp2, sql sp4, and all
>the other patches-worked fine.  Applied sp3 and lost it.
>You can't even print from an sp3 machine to a shared
>printer.  I used a work around of adding an extra
>character to the start of each line and am working fine
>until they fix the problem.
>Good Luck!

> Hi Alex:

> Are you using ?? to print in raw mode?  By printing in raw mode, you
bypass
> the Windows printer driver.

> I do not have an idea as to why the first character of a line would be
> omitted.
> However, I have some suggestions for the problem with the page eject.
> First, try setting
> _PADVANCE="LINEFEEDS."

> Second are you using SET PRINTER ON command with the ??? command to
output
> data to a printer? If so, the ?? command opens the print job and the SET
> PRINTER ON closes it; therefore, you get a page eject.

> Have you considered using the Label Writer instead of ? commands to print
> your labels?

> I hope this helps.

rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

>>I am using VFP 6 with a PRG program to print lables.

>>I'm using the Windows Generic/Text only printer
>>and sending output to an Okidata ML393 printer.

>>When the ? commands in the PRG program attempt
>>to print, they leave out the first character to
>>be printed in every line printed.  In addition,
>>I'm getting occasional spurious line feeds which
>>spoils the one-up printing runs.

>>My entire setup was working fine before to
>>do the above, but now
>>it is doing this first character skipping/spurious
>>line feed behaviour after no apparent change that
>>I can determine occurred.

>>I can send text files to the printer in the
>>DOS window and everything works fine.

>>HELP!!!

>>Alex Sagady

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:42:04 GMT

1. Printing to printer only prints part of first line

2. Lines not printing

3. Some Lines are not printed ramdomly in vfp 6.0 reports with arabics enabled wind

4. Foxpro 2.6 - Find way to suppress first blank text line

5. Printing line by line in FPW 2.5b and NT Workstation 4.0

6. Help Printing problems in VFP6 + LJet4 - font style not appearing

7. Report BMP not printing in Win95/VFP6

8. VFP6 Printing a grid (not grid control)

9. End of Line character?????

10. New line character

11. FPW 2.6: Device not ready error when first entering program

12. FPW: get around opening two files (first RO, next not)