RUN/! command error in applications run on Windows95
Author Message
 RUN/! command error in applications run on Windows95

I'm using FoxPro 2.6a for DOS Professional with the distribution kit.
I'm using it to build stand-alone extended applications.
These are running from a fileserver on a Novell network.  The clients
are mostly running Windows95.

My current project wants to collect data and send it via e-mail to
specified users.  The e-mail package is Pegasus for DOS.  My approach
was to put the data in a temp file and send it off by using a Pegasus
DOS command of the form pmail -t emailaddress -f filename.

This works just fine on machines running DOS 5.  But when I try to run
it on machines with Windows95 (DOS 7), I get the "RUN/! command failed"
error message.

In fact, I can't seem to get any DOS commands to work from inside an
application with Fox 2.6a for DOS running under Windows95.

Is there a way?

--Chuck Creesy
Princeton University Press

609-258-5745   Fax: 609-258-6305

Sun, 11 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 RUN/! command error in applications run on Windows95

[ Courtesy cc:'ed to quoted author through e-mail ]

Quote:
>I'm using FoxPro 2.6a for DOS Professional with the distribution kit.
>I'm using it to build stand-alone extended applications.
>These are running from a fileserver on a Novell network.  The clients
>are mostly running Windows95.

[ snip ]

Quote:
>This works just fine on machines running DOS 5.  But when I try to run
>it on machines with Windows95 (DOS 7), I get the "RUN/! command failed"
>error message.
>In fact, I can't seem to get any DOS commands to work from inside an
>application with Fox 2.6a for DOS running under Windows95.
>Is there a way?

It seems to be related to the problem much discussed in Win95
newsgroups, namely "why DOS programs can't find COMMAND.COM".  The
answer seems to be to set up program properties so that path includes
the directory with COMMAND.COM (usually Windows), and to have
SHELL=<proper directory>COMMAND.COM <other relewant parameters>
in CONFIG.SYS for the program.

FWIW: Although I have _lots_ of problems running my FPD2.5/2.6a
applications/executables under windows 95, RUN/! works fine so far.

Tue, 13 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 RUN/! command error in applications run on Windows95

DO you reserve enough memory for DOS to run the command?

Quote:

--
Yonghua Sun - Senior Systems Analyst

Telephone: 416-282-3403
      Fax: 416-282-2841

Fri, 16 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 RUN/! command error in applications run on Windows95

Quote:

> I'm using FoxPro 2.6a for DOS Professional with the distribution kit.
> I'm using it to build stand-alone extended applications.
> These are running from a fileserver on a Novell network.  The clients
> are mostly running Windows95.

> My current project wants to collect data and send it via e-mail to
> specified users.  The e-mail package is Pegasus for DOS.  My approach
> was to put the data in a temp file and send it off by using a Pegasus
> DOS command of the form pmail -t emailaddress -f filename.

> This works just fine on machines running DOS 5.  But when I try to run
> it on machines with Windows95 (DOS 7), I get the "RUN/! command failed"
> error message.

> In fact, I can't seem to get any DOS commands to work from inside an
> application with Fox 2.6a for DOS running under Windows95.

> Is there a way?

> --Chuck Creesy
> Princeton University Press

> 609-258-5745   Fax: 609-258-6305

Are you using redirection ">"?  I have run into problems when using
redirection with the api call create process...  If this is it, or if
there are parameter you are adding to the command line, Try creating a
*.bat file to run the app.  This may be ugly, but it always seems to
work.

Chet

Sat, 17 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ! (RUN) Command, DOS Commands, and Windows95

2. 16bit application running on windows95

3. Starting an application via the command line vs Run|Application

4. Foxpro for DOS not running under Windows95

5. FoxPro 2.6a runs well on Windows95 ?

6. Error running custom Foxpro application

7. Error Running DO...WITH command

8. Error 1405 and RUN Command

9. RUN/! command error

10. Fatal exception error running Netware Capture command from FPD26 app

11. Report run offs page when run on 800x600 resolution

12. *.prg to run DOS batchfile, waiting while it runs