Handling forms with different desktop areas
Author Message
 Handling forms with different desktop areas

I am fairly new to VFP5 and have only made a few applications to date.
I was wondering about the most common way to deal with different desktop
areas of different machines running the application.  If I set the
design area for the forms I am using to 800x600, I run into problems
with people using only 640x480 on small monitors, especially when
running forms containing a lot of information.  I obviously could make
the forms smaller, but then the way I am doing things now, they would
remain unduly small for someone on a larger monitor. Is it common to
design two forms and run one or the other depending on the screen size
of the machine in use, or is there a better way to do this - or should I
simply make smaller forms?  BTW, what is the command to return the
desktop size in use?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
remove *'s to reply.

Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Handling forms with different desktop areas
You could write to the lowest common denominator but use a pageframe with
many pages to keep the amount of controls shown at a time down.
-Anders
Quote:

>I am fairly new to VFP5 and have only made a few applications to date.
>I was wondering about the most common way to deal with different desktop
>areas of different machines running the application.  If I set the
>design area for the forms I am using to 800x600, I run into problems
>with people using only 640x480 on small monitors, especially when
>running forms containing a lot of information.  I obviously could make
>the forms smaller, but then the way I am doing things now, they would
>remain unduly small for someone on a larger monitor. Is it common to
>design two forms and run one or the other depending on the screen size
>of the machine in use, or is there a better way to do this - or should I
>simply make smaller forms?  BTW, what is the command to return the
>desktop size in use?

>Thanks in advance.

>Jeff
>remove *'s to reply.

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Handling forms with different desktop areas

Quote:

>>BTW, what is the command to return the
>>desktop size in use?
>>Thanks in advance.

Look at the SYSMETRIC()-function.

--
Per Wicken

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Handling forms with different desktop areas
FoxPro Advisor magazine ( http://www.advisor.com ) MONTH ???
contain article "Self Sizing Form"

Quote:
> I am fairly new to VFP5 and have only made a few applications to date.
> I was wondering about the most common way to deal with different desktop
> areas of different machines running the application.  If I set the
> Jeff
> remove *'s to reply.

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Handling forms with different desktop areas

Quote:

> I am fairly new to VFP5 and have only made a few applications to date.
> I was wondering about the most common way to deal with different desktop
> areas of different machines running the application.  If I set the
> design area for the forms I am using to 800x600, I run into problems
> with people using only 640x480 on small monitors, especially when
> running forms containing a lot of information.  I obviously could make
> the forms smaller, but then the way I am doing things now, they would
> remain unduly small for someone on a larger monitor. Is it common to
> design two forms and run one or the other depending on the screen size
> of the machine in use, or is there a better way to do this - or should I
> simply make smaller forms?  BTW, what is the command to return the
> desktop size in use?

> Thanks in advance.

> Jeff
> remove *'s to reply.

The January 1999 issue of FoxPro Advisor has a good article
on making your forms both proportionally resizable and to
make them automatically resize themselves according to the
resolution of the screen where the application is running.
I have implemented this in an application that I am
developing and it works very nicely.  I had to make some
corrections and additions to the code presented in the
article, but after that, it worked quite well.

-- TRW

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Handling forms with different desktop areas
Look in the help under:
SYSMETRIC

I have created some classes that take care of all of this for me.  My
applications resize forms based on the user's screen.  It takes time, but
its worth it.  What you need is some type of resizer.  Check the Jan issue
of FOXPRO ADVISOR for an idea.

Quote:

>>>BTW, what is the command to return the
>>>desktop size in use?

>>>Thanks in advance.

>Look at the SYSMETRIC()-function.

>--
>Per Wicken

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Modifying program to handle different screen sizes

2. Changing one form's properties from a different form

3. VFP User Groups - Bay Area & Ventura Area

4. Getting different results by running application in different ways

5. Different screen size on different syste...Why?

6. Desktop Forms

7. Different print output with different OS

8. Things look different on different PCs ????

9. Screen is different in different 800x600 screen resolution

10. different colors on different rows in a report

11. Forms on desktops

12. why different printers have different outpage?