READ EVENTS Questions
Author Message
 READ EVENTS Questions

I have tried to make the READ EVENTS statement work, in order to create an
.exe file that won't just revert to running in the background, but to no
avail.

I have tried putting the READ EVENTS statement in a small program, marked
main, PLUS (as an alternative) placing it  in the main form that launches
the other forms in this application.

Nothing works. In the form or the program, I have something like, as the
last statements:

DO FormName
READ EVENTS

I would appreciate any advice on how to make this work, since I need to send
the application to someone on ROM.

FROM PROGRAM:

public vowel, letter
DO form LTmain.scx
READ EVENTS

FROM FORM:

public vowel, letter
READ EVENTS

Thanks,
Michael Erlewine

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:06:24 GMT
 READ EVENTS Questions
Hi Michael

I personally prefer the solution with the start program, because I do some
global settings there too. But anyway your code looks allright as far as you
show it to us. So the problem must be somewhere else.

So some questions are to be looked at:

1. Do you hide the VFP main screen?
2. If you do so, are you sure, your forms is set as TOP LEVEL FORM?
3. Where is the corresponding CLEAR EVENTS statement placed?

HTH
Markus

Quote:
> I have tried to make the READ EVENTS statement work, in order to create an
> .exe file that won't just revert to running in the background, but to no
> avail.

> I have tried putting the READ EVENTS statement in a small program, marked
> main, PLUS (as an alternative) placing it  in the main form that launches
> the other forms in this application.

> Nothing works. In the form or the program, I have something like, as the
> last statements:

> DO FormName
> READ EVENTS

> I would appreciate any advice on how to make this work, since I need to
send
> the application to someone on ROM.

> FROM PROGRAM:

> public vowel, letter
> DO form LTmain.scx
> READ EVENTS

> FROM FORM:

> public vowel, letter
> READ EVENTS

> Thanks,
> Michael Erlewine

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:06:34 GMT
 READ EVENTS Questions
    Read events works fine. Don't put in a form, however. If you do that,
your app won't be able to read events if the user closes the "read event"
form. The forms in question should have their .WindowType property set to 0,
"Modeless," so that execution falls through to the read event statement in
your main .prg.
    Other than this, you'll have to give the ng more info about what does
happen in your app and what you mean by "running in the background."
- Lew S

Quote:
> I have tried to make the READ EVENTS statement work, in order to create an
> .exe file that won't just revert to running in the background, but to no
> avail.

> I have tried putting the READ EVENTS statement in a small program, marked
> main, PLUS (as an alternative) placing it  in the main form that launches
> the other forms in this application.

> Nothing works. In the form or the program, I have something like, as the
> last statements:

> DO FormName
> READ EVENTS

> I would appreciate any advice on how to make this work, since I need to
send
> the application to someone on ROM.

> FROM PROGRAM:

> public vowel, letter
> DO form LTmain.scx
> READ EVENTS

> FROM FORM:

> public vowel, letter
> READ EVENTS

> Thanks,
> Michael Erlewine

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:18:52 GMT
 READ EVENTS Questions
I am not 100% sure what you try to do,
But from what it looks like, you need:

1) Put a READ EVENTS in a main PRG.

MAIN.PRG:
    DO FORM MAINFORM
    READ EVENTS

2) Do a clear events from the 'main' form's destroy method:

MAINFORM.DESTROY:
    CLEAR EVENTS

Hope it helps.
Reind

Quote:
> I have tried to make the READ EVENTS statement work, in order to create an
> .exe file that won't just revert to running in the background, but to no
> avail.

> I have tried putting the READ EVENTS statement in a small program, marked
> main, PLUS (as an alternative) placing it  in the main form that launches
> the other forms in this application.

> Nothing works. In the form or the program, I have something like, as the
> last statements:

> DO FormName
> READ EVENTS

> I would appreciate any advice on how to make this work, since I need to
send
> the application to someone on ROM.

> FROM PROGRAM:

> public vowel, letter
> DO form LTmain.scx
> READ EVENTS

> FROM FORM:

> public vowel, letter
> READ EVENTS

> Thanks,
> Michael Erlewine

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:27:31 GMT
 READ EVENTS Questions
From what I see   here is what I would do,,

Quote:
> I have tried to make the READ EVENTS statement work, in order to create an
> .exe file that won't just revert to running in the background, but to no
> avail.

> I have tried putting the READ EVENTS statement in a small program, marked
> main, PLUS (as an alternative) placing it  in the main form that launches
> the other forms in this application.

> Nothing works. In the form or the program, I have something like, as the
> last statements:

> DO FormName
> READ EVENTS

> I would appreciate any advice on how to make this work, since I need to
send
> the application to someone on ROM.

> FROM PROGRAM:   && looks ok

> public vowel, letter
> DO form LTmain.scx
> READ EVENTS

> FROM FORM:

> public vowel, letter  && wrong
> READ EVENTS   && dont put this in the form.

    && read events should only appear once in your entire appliation,  in
your start up program
    && in your close program button, or unload event method of your form.
    && put a clear events and   Quit command.

> Thanks,
> Michael Erlewine

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:02:57 GMT

1. READ EVENTS Question

2. Read Events Question

3. Read Events And Clear Events

4. read events / clear events

5. Foundation Read Vs Event Read

6. Foundation Read Vs Read Event

7. Read Events vs Read ???

8. Read Event + Define Window + Modal Read = Failure...

9. Question about READs and READ level clauses

10. How to put READ EVENT to a form ??

11. VFP6: READ EVENTS with two VFP6 .EXEs running

12. READ / CLEAR EVENTS