XP and FP26 Dos
Author Message
 XP and FP26 Dos

Will FP26 Dos programs run under Windows XP?

--
Brett_Slattery

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:19:58 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
All mine have so far. XP is just an enhanced Windows 2000 at least as far as
the NTVDM is concerned, so you'll have the same issues that you would have
under Win2K or NT.

Quote:
> Will FP26 Dos programs run under Windows XP?

> --
> Brett_Slattery

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:03:29 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
I have had no problems with FPD 2.6 programs running Windows XP Pro...

Quote:
> Will FP26 Dos programs run under Windows XP?

> --
> Brett_Slattery

Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:46:12 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
??? Aren't you missing the MS-DOS prompt in XP?

Quote:
> All mine have so far. XP is just an enhanced Windows 2000 at least as far
as
> the NTVDM is concerned, so you'll have the same issues that you would have
> under Win2K or NT.

> > Will FP26 Dos programs run under Windows XP?

> > --
> > Brett_Slattery

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:14:36 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
Dennis,
Like NT and Win2000, XP has a command window that runs a DOS emulator, but
what does that have to do with running a FPD app? FPD apps can be started
with BAT files or directly by a shortcut, and can be run in a window or full
screen.

Rick

Quote:
> ??? Aren't you missing the MS-DOS prompt in XP?

> > All mine have so far. XP is just an enhanced Windows 2000 at least as
far
> as
> > the NTVDM is concerned, so you'll have the same issues that you would
have
> > under Win2K or NT.

> > > Will FP26 Dos programs run under Windows XP?

> > > --
> > > Brett_Slattery

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:38:35 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
Thank You, All.
Looks like the answer is Yes. Good news!

--
Brett_Slattery

Quote:
> I have had no problems with FPD 2.6 programs running Windows XP Pro...

> > Will FP26 Dos programs run under Windows XP?

> > --
> > Brett_Slattery

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:05:45 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
XP, like NT and Win2K, uses CMD.EXE for the command prompt, although
COMMAND.COM is still present and you could use it if you really wanted.

The difference is that the NT lineage up to XP do not boot from MS-DOS and
don't need it to be there.

Quote:
> ??? Aren't you missing the MS-DOS prompt in XP?

> > All mine have so far. XP is just an enhanced Windows 2000 at least as
far
> as
> > the NTVDM is concerned, so you'll have the same issues that you would
have
> > under Win2K or NT.

> > > Will FP26 Dos programs run under Windows XP?

> > > --
> > > Brett_Slattery

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:34:47 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
The FPD app will run in that emulation, i.e. in the NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS
Machine).

Quote:
> Dennis,
> Like NT and Win2000, XP has a command window that runs a DOS emulator, but
> what does that have to do with running a FPD app? FPD apps can be started
> with BAT files or directly by a shortcut, and can be run in a window or
full
> screen.

> Rick

> > ??? Aren't you missing the MS-DOS prompt in XP?

> > > All mine have so far. XP is just an enhanced Windows 2000 at least as
> far
> > as
> > > the NTVDM is concerned, so you'll have the same issues that you would
> have
> > > under Win2K or NT.

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:35:46 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
Question.  Just saw a message from you saying to add this to your win2k
CONFIG.SYS:

SHELL=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\COMMAND.COM /E:2048

Shouldn't we be using CMD.EXE instead?

Quote:
> XP, like NT and Win2K, uses CMD.EXE for the command prompt, although
> COMMAND.COM is still present and you could use it if you really wanted.

> The difference is that the NT lineage up to XP do not boot from MS-DOS and
> don't need it to be there.

> > ??? Aren't you missing the MS-DOS prompt in XP?

> > > All mine have so far. XP is just an enhanced Windows 2000 at least as
> far
> > as
> > > the NTVDM is concerned, so you'll have the same issues that you would
> have
> > > under Win2K or NT.

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:35:24 GMT
 XP and FP26 Dos
CMD.EXE won't take the /E flag - that line is only a solution to a problem
that some NT/2K machines hit running Win16 (i.e. Foxpro For Windows) apps
under the WOW subsystem.

Quote:
> Question.  Just saw a message from you saying to add this to your win2k
> CONFIG.SYS:

> SHELL=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\COMMAND.COM /E:2048

> Shouldn't we be using CMD.EXE instead?

> > XP, like NT and Win2K, uses CMD.EXE for the command prompt, although
> > COMMAND.COM is still present and you could use it if you really wanted.

> > The difference is that the NT lineage up to XP do not boot from MS-DOS
and
> > don't need it to be there.

> > > ??? Aren't you missing the MS-DOS prompt in XP?

> > far
> > > as
> > have

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:48:45 GMT

1. Can't RUN in FP26 for DOS!

2. FP26 DOS app to VFP 6, can't hide popup menus

3. fp26 DOS Report Generation Problem

4. Question about FP26 for DOS

5. FP26 for DOS - .EXE size limitations

6. XP DOS Printing

7. printing DOS applic. in XP

8. Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP

9. FoxPro 2.6 for DOS under XP?

10. Integrating DOS apps with Windows 9x/2000/XP apps (for POS)

11. XP and VFP/sp3 and Office XP

12. E-mail and FP26 or VFP 5.0