Small VFP app on NT4 network!!
Author Message
 Small VFP app on NT4 network!!

Hi
I have written a  small application using vfp5 for the other staff at the
school I teach at which which saves small table containing report
information for each class. It is compiled to an executable and runs on both
standalone machines and our NT4 network (100+ machines).  On the standalones
we have very few problems but the network appears fragile and when it goes
down staff are appearing to lose data.  I can understand files becoming
corrupted and not wanting to reload but this happens rarely. More frequently
users can reopen their table (stored in their area on the network) but the
data they had typed in during the session with the crash is missing - this
is often 20 to thirty records each containing 50-80 words (this is
coincidently ?? stored in memo fields).  Is this a case of data not written
back across the network? if so it seems quite a lot? How can I force this
write after every record?  The data files are small and opened exculsively
so I have built in no buffering.  At the moment the executable and runtime
files exist on the server - the data files are on the server in users areas
or occasionally on floppy (to transport to staff home machines) is this the
best strategy?
Ps I am a teacher - writing software like this is only a hobby
PPs Getting some flak that the app may be causing the network to crash -
this seem unlikely since it is rare that more than 5 people are using it at
one time and I have had 25 users on simultaneously  during tarining sessions
PPPs machines have fortes software installed

Sorry for the long post Help
Nik V

Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Small VFP app on NT4 network!!

Try the FLUSH command.  I've had similar problems, but it was on Novell
and flush did not help.  We noticed that the changes were not committed
for up to 10 minutes or more.  If FLUSH does not help, as a last resort,
you can do this: close the table after modification, open it, change the
first record, close the file, open it again, change the first record back,
and close the file.  Believe it or not, I had to do this on a mission
critical app once to get it to save its changes.

- John

Quote:

>Hi
>I have written a  small application using vfp5 for the other staff at the
>school I teach at which which saves small table containing report
>information for each class. It is compiled to an executable and runs on both
>standalone machines and our NT4 network (100+ machines).  On the standalones
>we have very few problems but the network appears fragile and when it goes
>down staff are appearing to lose data.  I can understand files becoming
>corrupted and not wanting to reload but this happens rarely. More frequently
>users can reopen their table (stored in their area on the network) but the
>data they had typed in during the session with the crash is missing - this
>is often 20 to thirty records each containing 50-80 words (this is
>coincidently ?? stored in memo fields).  Is this a case of data not written
>back across the network? if so it seems quite a lot? How can I force this
>write after every record?  The data files are small and opened exculsively
>so I have built in no buffering.  At the moment the executable and runtime
>files exist on the server - the data files are on the server in users areas
>or occasionally on floppy (to transport to staff home machines) is this the
>best strategy?
>Ps I am a teacher - writing software like this is only a hobby
>PPs Getting some flak that the app may be causing the network to crash -
>this seem unlikely since it is rare that more than 5 people are using it at
>one time and I have had 25 users on simultaneously  during tarining sessions
>PPPs machines have fortes software installed

>Sorry for the long post Help
>Nik V

Tue, 26 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Small VFP app on NT4 network!!
We've used "go recno()" after a flush and it seems to help.

Quote:
> Hi
> I have written a  small application using vfp5 for the other staff at the
> school I teach at which which saves small table containing report
> information for each class. It is compiled to an executable and runs on both

Wed, 27 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VFP5.0 .app or .exe not running over NT4.0 network

2. Preview too small in NT4.0

3. FoxPro 2.5b in a small network ?

4. small network solution

5. FoxPro 2.5b in a small network ?

6. lock-ups in W98, on NT4 network?

7. VFP 3.0 Networking Apps What is needed???

8. VFP app.EXE doesn't work on network

9. VFP Network app maintenance

10. Impact of network performance on VFP apps...

11. Network version of VFP 5.0 app

12. VFP 3.0 app on network