Help Re Compiling issues..
Author Message
 Help Re Compiling issues..

Hi all..

Can someone enlighten me on:-

When creating a project, and including the stuff
that one wants in it.....

VFP virtually adds everything on the hard disk?
i.e. it adds all sorts of procedures, prg's text files,
pretty much every bitmap it can find, and more....

Try this for instance.... go thru the very laborious process
of excluding all the junk it adds... leaving only your own stuff,
then re-compile your EXE - it can often be 500k yep, i/2
meg smaller and lots faster...

I think its absurd........
Why should I have to manually go exclude dozens of items
that I didn't want in the first place?

Comments appreciated.

Derek
Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help Re Compiling issues..
The 'default' idea seems to be that the pm aids you in creating a generic
*distributable* application with as little fuss as possible. Naturally, you
can fine tune this in many ways.
- Lew S

Quote:
> Hi all..

> Can someone enlighten me on:-

> When creating a project, and including the stuff
> that one wants in it.....

> VFP virtually adds everything on the hard disk?
> i.e. it adds all sorts of procedures, prg's text files,
> pretty much every bitmap it can find, and more....

> Try this for instance.... go thru the very laborious process
> of excluding all the junk it adds... leaving only your own stuff,
> then re-compile your EXE - it can often be 500k yep, i/2
> meg smaller and lots faster...

> I think its absurd........
> Why should I have to manually go exclude dozens of items
> that I didn't want in the first place?

> Comments appreciated.

> Derek
> Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help Re Compiling issues..
Did you use a wizard to create the project?  You can make something a lot
smaller without the wizards.

I created a project with one program:
MESSAGEBOX("Hello World!")

The EXE is 8kb.

--

Cindy Winegarden
Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

Duke Children's Information Systems
Duke University Medical Center

| Hi all..
|
| Can someone enlighten me on:-
|
| When creating a project, and including the stuff
| that one wants in it.....
|
| VFP virtually adds everything on the hard disk?
| i.e. it adds all sorts of procedures, prg's text files,
| pretty much every bitmap it can find, and more....
|
| Try this for instance.... go thru the very laborious process
| of excluding all the junk it adds... leaving only your own stuff,
| then re-compile your EXE - it can often be 500k yep, i/2
| meg smaller and lots faster...
|
| I think its absurd........
| Why should I have to manually go exclude dozens of items
| that I didn't want in the first place?
|
| Comments appreciated.
|
| Derek
| Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help Re Compiling issues..

Heya Derek - why are you POSTING and not watching the Olympics in real time
without the aid of a television monitor?
But in the meantime -
HEY!!!
You built that project using a project wizard, didn't you?
It includes EVERYTHING . [ok - maybe the dbc's are not included].
If you want to hack the project wizard and make it work like you want it to,
for the 2nd -1x10^90000000nd project you will work on, do so - a lot of time
hacking now will save you time in your future endeavors.

If you get used to the PM wizard, take special NOTE of the directory
structure it generates - then make your search directories MATCH that
structure - saves you loads of time figuring out where things are even if it
is showing you where it is.

Also -
anything NOT residing in your root project folder tree structure [and the
child folders] will MOST LIKLEY be residing in the VFP default directories -
I tend to think that is bad - I usually copy those beasties first and
repoint the file pointer BEFORE I compile to an EXE.

I would suggest that you get the Hacker's Guide to V6 - check out
www.hentzenwerke.com and buy your set today...

You might also want to check out www.universalthread.com and www.vfug.org
and see what you can find about subclassing the foxpro foundation classes -
you can learn a lot about your project wizard class from there...

mondo regards [Bill]
-------------

Quote:
> Hi all..

> Can someone enlighten me on:-

> When creating a project, and including the stuff
> that one wants in it.....

> VFP virtually adds everything on the hard disk?
> i.e. it adds all sorts of procedures, prg's text files,
> pretty much every bitmap it can find, and more....

> Try this for instance.... go thru the very laborious process
> of excluding all the junk it adds... leaving only your own stuff,
> then re-compile your EXE - it can often be 500k yep, i/2
> meg smaller and lots faster...

> I think its absurd........
> Why should I have to manually go exclude dozens of items
> that I didn't want in the first place?

> Comments appreciated.

> Derek
> Australia.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help Re Compiling issues..

Hey Bill,
Thanks 'mate'
Very Helpful..... I apppreciate this! real time hard won practical
advice, there's no substitute!

As for the Olympicals *G

I/We are getting seriously overdosed.... 24 hours a day all all
channels and media's...... it's gone beserk..

I think the entire country has got log-jam... even the Prime Minister
seems to have taken up residence in the stands..

I live in a city called Perth, Pop about 2 million on the west coast,
and Aust is a HUGE place, so thankfully I am over 5,000km (that's
3,100+ miles to the USA folks) away from there!

 Thanks for your help.
(I hope this extra - excess verbiage does not offend anyone)
Derek.
Australia.

Quote:
> Heya Derek - why are you POSTING and not watching the Olympics in real
time
> without the aid of a television monitor?
> But in the meantime -
> HEY!!!
> You built that project using a project wizard, didn't you?
> It includes EVERYTHING . [ok - maybe the dbc's are not included].
> If you want to hack the project wizard and make it work like you want it
to,
> for the 2nd -1x10^90000000nd project you will work on, do so - a lot of
time
> hacking now will save you time in your future endeavors.

> If you get used to the PM wizard, take special NOTE of the directory
> structure it generates - then make your search directories MATCH that
> structure - saves you loads of time figuring out where things are even if
it
> is showing you where it is.

> Also -
> anything NOT residing in your root project folder tree structure [and the
> child folders] will MOST LIKLEY be residing in the VFP default
directories -
> I tend to think that is bad - I usually copy those beasties first and
> repoint the file pointer BEFORE I compile to an EXE.

> I would suggest that you get the Hacker's Guide to V6 - check out
> www.hentzenwerke.com and buy your set today...

> You might also want to check out www.universalthread.com and www.vfug.org
> and see what you can find about subclassing the foxpro foundation
classes -
> you can learn a lot about your project wizard class from there...

> mondo regards [Bill]
> -------------

> > Hi all..

> > Can someone enlighten me on:-

> > When creating a project, and including the stuff
> > that one wants in it.....

> > VFP virtually adds everything on the hard disk?
> > i.e. it adds all sorts of procedures, prg's text files,
> > pretty much every bitmap it can find, and more....

> > Try this for instance.... go thru the very laborious process
> > of excluding all the junk it adds... leaving only your own stuff,
> > then re-compile your EXE - it can often be 500k yep, i/2
> > meg smaller and lots faster...

> > I think its absurd........
> > Why should I have to manually go exclude dozens of items
> > that I didn't want in the first place?

> > Comments appreciated.

> > Derek
> > Australia.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 06:17:06 GMT
 Help Re Compiling issues..
Thorpedo!

Quote:

> [...]

> > and see what you can find about subclassing the foxpro foundation
> classes -
> > you can learn a lot about your project wizard class from there...

> > mondo regards [Bill]
> > -------------

> > > Hi all..

> > > Can someone enlighten me on:-

> > > When creating a project, and including the stuff
> > > that one wants in it.....

> > > VFP virtually adds everything on the hard disk?
> > > i.e. it adds all sorts of procedures, prg's text files,
> > > pretty much every bitmap it can find, and more....

> > > Try this for instance.... go thru the very laborious process
> > > of excluding all the junk it adds... leaving only your own stuff,
> > > then re-compile your EXE - it can often be 500k yep, i/2
> > > meg smaller and lots faster...

> > > I think its absurd........
> > > Why should I have to manually go exclude dozens of items

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Screen appearance issues of compiled app

2. Conditional compiling and other code maintenance issues

3. Compiled VFP calling compiled C++ routines?

4. help: compiling a greek vocabulary form

5. Need Help on compiling FoxPro from the Command Line

6. HELP! Problem compiling

7. HELP! Problem compiling on Foxpro 2.5 for DOS

8. fxp->prg reverse compile: HELP!

9. help: compiling a greek vocabulary form

10. Help with compiling Fox 2.5

11. Linking Compiled HTML Help to VFP 6.0 and Vis Versa

12. Help: Display issue Foxpro 2.5