lock-ups in W98, on NT4 network?
Author Message
 lock-ups in W98, on NT4 network?

We are having occasional freeze-ups on an NT Server 4 network, with shared
access of VFP dbc's No error msg happens, the application will just freeze.
I had experienced some problems under NT server before which I think has to
do with NT's file caching mechanism. When the VFP application closes tables
or databases, they are still showing as open under NT server manager, and
another user will be unable to open tables for exclusive use, even though no
one else is in the file. Even though it is not showing to have tables open,
you may have to close the foxpro application down on a wrkstation to
"really" close the files. We are using table buffering mode 2 - pessimistic
row buffering on most tables in these forms, unless exclusive access is
absolutely necessary. Any input would be helpful on this. I know it is not
possible to shut down Nt's file caching mechanism on NTFS drives.

--
Jim Newsom
IT Director

Sun, 22 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 lock-ups in W98, on NT4 network?
If the app is frozen how can you be sure that the code to close tables has
fired?
-Lew S

Quote:
> We are having occasional freeze-ups on an NT Server 4 network, with shared
> access of VFP dbc's No error msg happens, the application will just
freeze.
> I had experienced some problems under NT server before which I think has
> do with NT's file caching mechanism. When the VFP application closes
tables
> or databases, they are still showing as open under NT server manager, and
> another user will be unable to open tables for exclusive use, even though
no
> one else is in the file. Even though it is not showing to have tables
open,
> you may have to close the foxpro application down on a wrkstation to
> "really" close the files. We are using table buffering mode 2 -
pessimistic
> row buffering on most tables in these forms, unless exclusive access is
> absolutely necessary. Any input would be helpful on this. I know it is not
> possible to shut down Nt's file caching mechanism on NTFS drives.

> --
> Jim Newsom
> IT Director
> Industry Consulting Group, Inc.
> Ph: 972-991-0391
> Fax: 972-980-7740

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. why VFP6 running on NT4.0 is slower than in W98

2. When fp2.6 locks up with W98

3. W98 VS VFP6 Help Screen Lockup - help.

4. Small VFP app on NT4 network!!

5. VFP5.0 .app or .exe not running over NT4.0 network

6. Locking up networked FoxPro

7. HELP locking of records on network not working [foxpro2.6]

8. Help...Network record locking problems

9. Network application is losing record and table locks, machines simultaneously crashing

10. Pop Ups with Icons

11. 2.6a, NT4.0 and "Network error on drive <network drive>"

12. VFP & UPS/FedEx