Convert FoxPro 2.6 code to VFP 6.0
Author Message
 Convert FoxPro 2.6 code to VFP 6.0

Hi,

Any suggessions on the easiest way to convert FoxPro 2.6 for Dos code
to Visual FoxPro 6.0?  I love my FoxPro programs but I think it's time
to upgrade from Dos. :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Convert FoxPro 2.6 code to VFP 6.0

Hi!

A lot depends on your programs.  If it's just a program, open it in VFP and
recompile.  ;-)

For more than that you'll want to re-write to take advantage of all the OOP
in VFP.  You may be able to salvage some of the code and paste it into the
methods of the forms or something.

Most of the time there are reasons to re-do parts of the app anyways.

--

Cindy Winegarden
Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

Duke Children's Information Systems
Duke University Medical Center

| Hi,
|
| Any suggessions on the easiest way to convert FoxPro 2.6 for Dos code
| to Visual FoxPro 6.0?  I love my FoxPro programs but I think it's time
| to upgrade from Dos. :)
|

| Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
| Before you buy.

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Convert FoxPro 2.6 code to VFP 6.0
Hi,

Thanks!  No the programas are a bit complicated for the easy way. ;-)
I will have to re-write everything in the new VFP code.  I'm so used to
writing the code in full-hand - this "Visual" thing looks very
different; but I'm on it and will take some time.....(I guess)

Its an integrated database program running on my Network server so I
think I'll have to re-write the whole thing.

Thanks again.

Quote:

> Hi!

> A lot depends on your programs.  If it's just a program, open it in
VFP and
> recompile.  ;-)

> For more than that you'll want to re-write to take advantage of all
the OOP
> in VFP.  You may be able to salvage some of the code and paste it
into the
> methods of the forms or something.

> Most of the time there are reasons to re-do parts of the app anyways.

> --

> Cindy Winegarden
> Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

> Duke Children's Information Systems
> Duke University Medical Center

Quote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | Any suggessions on the easiest way to convert FoxPro 2.6 for Dos
code
> | to Visual FoxPro 6.0?  I love my FoxPro programs but I think it's
time
> | to upgrade from Dos. :)
> |

> | Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> | Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 13:19:40 GMT
 Convert FoxPro 2.6 code to VFP 6.0
You're still free to "write code" in VFP!  You can create all of your forms
as classes in code if you want!

To see what this might look like, make a form, save it as a class, then open
the class in the class browser and view the class code.

The real difference that you will run into is how things are organized -
with objects, and learning how to create classes and subclass them for
things that you do more than once.  My oDataHandler custom class has a bunch
of methods that would have just been functions in FPW or FPD.  I then
instantiate it as oPayrollDataHandler or oGeneralLedgerDataHandler and go on
from there.

You'll do well to take classroom training that really gives you the overview
of how all this works.  Then you can always look up the details in the docs
or post questions.

--

Cindy Winegarden
Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

Duke Children's Information Systems
Duke University Medical Center

| Hi,
|
| Thanks!  No the programas are a bit complicated for the easy way. ;-)
| I will have to re-write everything in the new VFP code.  I'm so used to
| writing the code in full-hand - this "Visual" thing looks very
| different; but I'm on it and will take some time.....(I guess)
|
| Its an integrated database program running on my Network server so I
| think I'll have to re-write the whole thing.
|
| Thanks again.
|

| > Hi!
| >
| > A lot depends on your programs.  If it's just a program, open it in
| VFP and
| > recompile.  ;-)
| >
| > For more than that you'll want to re-write to take advantage of all
| the OOP
| > in VFP.  You may be able to salvage some of the code and paste it
| into the
| > methods of the forms or something.
| >
| > Most of the time there are reasons to re-do parts of the app anyways.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Cindy Winegarden
| > Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro
| >
| > Duke Children's Information Systems
| > Duke University Medical Center

| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Any suggessions on the easiest way to convert FoxPro 2.6 for Dos
| code
| > | to Visual FoxPro 6.0?  I love my FoxPro programs but I think it's
| time
| > | to upgrade from Dos. :)
| > |
| > |
| > | Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
| > | Before you buy.
| >

| Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
| Before you buy.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Convert FoxPro 2.6 code to VFP 6.0
Take a look at http://programatica.com/fpage22.html#2

It is the best resource I've found on this multifarious problem.  It is for up
to 5.0 so may not be completely accurate for 6.0 but has a wealth of info.

Steve

Quote:

> You're still free to "write code" in VFP!  You can create all of your forms
> as classes in code if you want!

> To see what this might look like, make a form, save it as a class, then open
> the class in the class browser and view the class code.

> The real difference that you will run into is how things are organized -
> with objects, and learning how to create classes and subclass them for
> things that you do more than once.  My oDataHandler custom class has a bunch
> of methods that would have just been functions in FPW or FPD.  I then
> instantiate it as oPayrollDataHandler or oGeneralLedgerDataHandler and go on
> from there.

> You'll do well to take classroom training that really gives you the overview
> of how all this works.  Then you can always look up the details in the docs
> or post questions.

> --

> Cindy Winegarden
> Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

> Duke Children's Information Systems
> Duke University Medical Center

> | Hi,
> |
> | Thanks!  No the programas are a bit complicated for the easy way. ;-)
> | I will have to re-write everything in the new VFP code.  I'm so used to
> | writing the code in full-hand - this "Visual" thing looks very
> | different; but I'm on it and will take some time.....(I guess)
> |
> | Its an integrated database program running on my Network server so I
> | think I'll have to re-write the whole thing.
> |
> | Thanks again.
> |

> | > Hi!
> | >
> | > A lot depends on your programs.  If it's just a program, open it in
> | VFP and
> | > recompile.  ;-)
> | >
> | > For more than that you'll want to re-write to take advantage of all
> | the OOP
> | > in VFP.  You may be able to salvage some of the code and paste it
> | into the
> | > methods of the forms or something.
> | >
> | > Most of the time there are reasons to re-do parts of the app anyways.
> | >
> | > --
> | >
> | > Cindy Winegarden
> | > Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro
> | >
> | > Duke Children's Information Systems
> | > Duke University Medical Center

> | > |
> | code
> | time
> | > |
> | > |

> | Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> | Before you buy.

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:50:50 GMT

1. Converting FoxPro 2.6 Forms to VFP 6.0

2. Unknow Error - Code 7 - converting 2.6 forms to 6.0

3. Newbie: Converting from FoxPro 2.6 DOS to Visual FoxPro 6.0

4. Converting VFP 2.6 with VFP 6.0

5. Converting FoxPro 2.6 to Visual Basic code

6. Converted 2.6 form in VFP 6.0

7. Converting 2.6A code to 6.0

8. converting to 6.0 from 2.6 <----- HELP PLEASE.

9. Auto Convert from 2.6 to 6.0?

10. convert 2.6 DOS app to vfp5.0 (or 6.0)

11. Converting Fox 2.6 to 6.0

12. Convert report from FoxPro 2.6 for DOS to VFP 6