Sneakpeek explanation and summary for comp.databases.xbase.fox
Author Message
 Sneakpeek explanation and summary for comp.databases.xbase.fox

We developed SneakPeek postings as a result of many Usenet users' desire
for a summarizing tool that would help them skim through the most active
threads.  Thus, SneakPeek postings are intended to help users with limited
time keep a{*filter*} of group discussions, stay in touch with more groups,
and check out new groups quickly.

Usenet is an environment where every voice should count equally.  However,
while some users have found SneakPeek postings useful, others have tried
to shout it down, potentially resulting in the tyranny of a vocal few.
Therefore, we encourage all to post their constructive opinions so that we
may democratically decide if there is room for SneakPeek postings in Usenet.

Talkway, Inc.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

The rest of this message summarizes the most active recent threads in
this newsgroup.

SUBJECT: Re: Reasons not to use VFP 6.0?

*** Gene Berger:
I read, reread, and then studied Hentzenwerke's book on VFP3 and it is a
must
read.  Wow!!!  I'll be ordering his current book(s).  It taught me what
exactly is this object oriented stuff in VFP3.  Superb!!!

*** Craig Berntson:
Yes, the Hacker's Guide is just like the one for VFP 3.0. And I agree...a
must have. Ted Roche, one of the authors, told me that the complete text of
the Hacker's Guide will also come in HTML Help format.

*** Chuck Tripi:
I am sorry, but I hated Yair Alan Griver's FoxPro 2.6 CodeBook. We have it here
at work and it has bugs now. Maybe IF I know how the CodeBook works, then it MAY
BE "ok".

SUBJECT: Add one VFP5 form to a fpw26 app

*** M  MURCH:
I am trying to bring a FPW26 app slowly up to date.  I need to add one VFP5
form to the existing system.

When I built the executabe with the 2.6 code, everything converted and runs
great.  I added a .prg that

*** Craig Berntson:
Remove the READ EVENTS.

*** M  MURCH:
Removing the Read Events was exactly right!  Thanks.  I thought anytime you
did a visual form, you needed a read events!

SUBJECT: VFP 6.0 question(s)

*** David Toste:
I just had a meeting trying to figure out where we are going with our
reporting to our clients. We are moving to a new database structure in the
next few months becuase our data provider is moving from a AS400 machine
to a Unix box so they are starting from the begining trying to figure out

*** Craig Berntson:
Since you're talking data, you'd be better off with VFP than VB. VFPs data
handling is far superior to that in VB. VFP 6.0 has more HTML support, and
will save to Excel 97 format, but doesn't have the ability to save reports
directly to excel like you can in Crystal Reports.

*** David Toste:
Oh bummer. When will MS learn.

I work for a travel company. We provide data/reports to clients wanting to
know how many trips they have taken with say American Airlines or the
history for John Smith. Alot of these reports run to 100+ pages, and
clients like to do a search in excel. I've given them raw data before, but

SUBJECT: cursor problems

*** Andrew Ducker:
I just got this error

"<cursor>" must be created with SELECT ... INTO TABLE.  (1815)

when I was trying to do a select from a cursor into another cursor.  Why is
this?  I'd rather not create loads of tables and delete them again if I can
just create cursors, but I keep ketting this problem.

*** Alexandre Pechtchanski:
Because some cursors are tables, and some are filtered views of the original
tables.  You can SELECT from the former type, but not from the latter.  To check
which is which use DBF() function; to ensure that you're always getting real
table, add dummy field ( SELECT ... .T. AS dummy ... ) to your select statement.

*** Bendy Chan:
If you using VFP5, you don't need to create dummy field, just add
"NOFILTER" after the cursor name.

select * from src_table where field = xx into cursor tmp nofilter

SUBJECT: Fox 6.0 bug?

*** grantsp:
We received the latest Fox 6, build 6.00.8167.0 (August Build) and there
appears to be a bug in the listbox control.  Below are the steps used to
reproduce:

*** Anders Altberg:
It behaves the same way in build 8141. Foxels is a rare setting.
-Anders

*** Mike Fernald:
Please recheck your work and make sure you didn't forget to hit the check
mark before leaving the list boxes columnwith property you can't just type
it in you have to confirm it with the check mark. Please report back to the
group just in case I mis understood your question my FoxPro is the real 6.0

Talkway, Inc.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. SneakPeek summary for comp.databases.xbase.fox for 8/14/1998

2. Sneakpeek explanation and summary for microsoft.public.fox.programmer.exchange

3. URL's seen in comp.databases.xbase.fox

4. comp.databases.xbase.fox

5. I lost my account (comp.databases.xbase.fox FAQ's)

6. comp.databases.xbase.fox archivist WANTED

7. Alltrim() don't work (from comp.databases.xbase.fox)

8. Links Related To comp.databases.xbase.fox - FREE ACCESS 0228

9. Links Related To comp.databases.xbase.fox - FREE ACCESS 0226

10. Links Related To comp.databases.xbase.fox - FREE ACCESS

11. Links Related To comp.databases.xbase.fox - FREE ACCESS 0219

12. Links Related To comp.databases.xbase.fox - FREE ACCESS