Converting Memos/Memo fields
Author Message
 Converting Memos/Memo fields

I am working on a project in which I am converting tables from FP 2.6 to a
new application in VFP 6.0.

I converted most of the tables through the Import wizard by first converting
the FP 2.6 tables to Excel and then importing them into my database.  The
problem is Memo fields do not convert in this manner.  I then tried doing a
SQL Update from the old table to update the memo field but this doesn't seem
to work either.

Is is possible to convert the memo data over to my new database?

Thanks for the help,

    Gordy

Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Memos/Memo fields
Fox 2.6 tables can be read directly from VFP 6.0. You don't need to go
through Excel.

--

Craig Berntson
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

Quote:
>I am working on a project in which I am converting tables from FP 2.6 to a
>new application in VFP 6.0.

>I converted most of the tables through the Import wizard by first
converting
>the FP 2.6 tables to Excel and then importing them into my database.  The
>problem is Memo fields do not convert in this manner.  I then tried doing a
>SQL Update from the old table to update the memo field but this doesn't
seem
>to work either.

>Is is possible to convert the memo data over to my new database?

>Thanks for the help,

>    Gordy

Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Memos/Memo fields
Hi Gordy
You can use FP2 tables as they are in VFP. They'll be converted to VFP type
tables only if you add them to a VFP database. VFP distinguishes database
and data table. They will also be converted if you MODIFY STRUCTURE. Unless
you've included one of the new data types, Datetime, Integer or Double, or
NULLable fields, in the modification, any VFP table can be converted without
loss  to the old format with COPY TO newtable TYPE FOX2X.
SYS(2029) returns the table type.
-Anders

Quote:

>I am working on a project in which I am converting tables from FP 2.6 to a
>new application in VFP 6.0.

>I converted most of the tables through the Import wizard by first
converting
>the FP 2.6 tables to Excel and then importing them into my database.  The
>problem is Memo fields do not convert in this manner.  I then tried doing a
>SQL Update from the old table to update the memo field but this doesn't
seem
>to work either.

>Is is possible to convert the memo data over to my new database?

>Thanks for the help,

>    Gordy

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Memos/Memo fields
????? I am confused??? VFP6 will open and use FP2.6 directly.  All you have to
do is copy the tables to the new directory and then add them to the VFP6 DBC.
Am I missing something here?

Glen

Quote:

> I am working on a project in which I am converting tables from FP 2.6 to a
> new application in VFP 6.0.

> I converted most of the tables through the Import wizard by first converting
> the FP 2.6 tables to Excel and then importing them into my database.  The
> problem is Memo fields do not convert in this manner.  I then tried doing a
> SQL Update from the old table to update the memo field but this doesn't seem
> to work either.

> Is is possible to convert the memo data over to my new database?

> Thanks for the help,

>     Gordy

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Memos/Memo fields
I am converting the FP 2.6 tables to a different table structure in VFP 6.0.

I used the Import wizard as a first past to convert the tables because I was
lazy and didn't want to write all the SQL INSERT code.

The Import wizard was slow but it worked fine except for converting the Memo
fields.  I wrote a SQL UPDATE script to update the Memo field from my FP 2.6
table to my new VFP 6.0 table but that did not seem to work.

Someone suggusted converting the FP 2.6 table to 6.0 first and then try
doing the SQL UPDATE.  I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

Quote:

>????? I am confused??? VFP6 will open and use FP2.6 directly.  All you have
>do is copy the tables to the new directory and then add them to the VFP6
DBC.
>Am I missing something here?

>Glen

Wed, 29 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Convert memo field in character field

2. Converting FOX Memo Field to Oracle CLOB field using SQL

3. Converting Memo fields back to Text fields

4. Indentation of memo fields - reports vs. modify memo

5. Convert FoxPlus (UNIX) memo fields to DOS format

6. converting memo field to character in SQL

7. need to convert a fpw 2.6 dbf with memo fields to Access '95

8. VFP to DB2 - Converting Memo Fields

9. Converting VFP memo fields to SQL Server

10. Memo Fields and General Fields in report

11. Error Updating SQL7 TEXT field from MEMO field

12. First 4 bytes of memo file (fpt) Missing/invalid memo file