Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?
Author Message
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

We have been having problems with our Foxpro 2.5Dos tables since we
switched from Netware 3.12 to 4.11

We are getting ASCII(0) charactesr which cause Foxpro to behave
erratically.

We were told by a consultant that this is a known problem on 2.5 and 2.6
when used in Netware 4.x. We are thinking of moving to VFP 5, but during
the transition we would probably need to have systems in both. Can VFP be
concurrently with Foxpro 2.5 Dos?

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

yes they can.. but when you use a file you must state the type or fox could
either not figure it out or convert it.

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

I have to use 2.5 DBFs from a 5.0 application (the 5.0 application uses SQL
Server and not Fox for data)

Anything 5.0 that you want to use in 2.5, you'll have to make sure is in
FOX2X format.  You will need them to be free tables (not part of a DBC) or
you will need to translate a copy of said table using COPY TO.. TYPE FOX2X
(see help) to make it readable by 2.5.  AFAIK, 5.0 can easily read and use
2.5 tables.  As often as possible, however, as I am ultimately paranoid of
what I don't know, I tend to open my 2.5 DBFs using USE..NOUPDATE (see
help) so that I won't change what's in there.  I guess, however, that's not
a bad strategy no matter what format the DBF is in, if you don't need to
write data to it and accept the possibility you could do something foolish
in code.

Quote:
> yes they can.. but when you use a file you must state the type or fox
could
> either not figure it out or convert it.

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

I just realized a fallacy in what I posted.  The following is the
correction:

Quote:
> Anything 5.0 that you want to use in 2.5, you'll have to make sure is in
> FOX2X format.  You will need them to be free tables (not part of a DBC)
or
> you will need to translate a copy of said table using COPY TO.. TYPE
FOX2X
> (see help) to make it readable by 2.5.

^^ Should be:

Anything 5.0 that you want to use in 2.5, you'll have to make sure is in
FOX2X format.  You will need to translate a copy of said table using COPY
TO.. TYPE FOX2X (see help) to make it readable by 2.5.  This is regardless
of whether the table is free or linked to a DBC.

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

I'll second that.  Although it has worked for us in an intermediate stage,
it was only to keep current processes uninterrupted during heavy tax
season.  After tax season, we will be working to shift the entire
application to 5.0.  But you also will have to convince your client that
they don't want to support an old DOS application anymore.

I will say one thing though.. if you can limit the size of the interfaces
between your systems that will be in Dos and VFP, you can probably make
them work pretty well together.  We have had almost no problems with this.
But we didn't mix them up very much.  There are some files we need to read
in the DOS system from the VFP system and that interface is NOT real time.
In other words, the client will choose to refresh data in the VFP system
from the DOS system at chosen times, which keeps  the newer system out of
the older system as much as possible.  We also have to write to the DOS
data on occasion also, which is done in much the same way.  The code to
accomplish these tasks is organized and kept in such a way that it's easy
to find and change, for when the whole system is on the same level of
technology.

But I insist it isn't a permanent solution.  Then again, what really is?

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

Quote:

>> We have been having problems with our Foxpro 2.5Dos tables since we
>> switched from Netware 3.12 to 4.11

>> We are getting ASCII(0) charactesr which cause Foxpro to behave
>> erratically.
>> We were told by a consultant that this is a known problem on 2.5 and 2.6
>> when used in Netware 4.x. We are thinking of moving to VFP 5, but during
>> the transition we would probably need to have systems in both. Can VFP be
>> concurrently with Foxpro 2.5 Dos?
>The tables are in a slightly different format.      Although VFP 5.0 can read and
>write the earlier format, in principle I think what you're suggesting is a
>bad idea.  Better to prepare your new system, train everyone on it, and then
>cleanly break over a weekend if at all possible.

that's not always practical especially if the application is mission
critical.  we find that running in parallel actually does make for a
smooth transition.  the users can always fall back on the old system
if something goes wrong.  but the answer is: yes, you can run both
simultaneously.
----------------------=>)FNKSHN FOR FOXPRO 2.X(<=-------------------------
Try out the Top Ten Downloaded* FNKSHN library written by Perry Fect
And did I also mention that it's *FREE*!?!?
http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto/fnkshn.html
Coming Soon: FNKSHN 1.2 The Final FNKSHN library for 2.x
             ObjectSHN 1.2 The Object-Oriented version of FNKSHN
----------------------=>)FNKSHN FOR FOXPRO 2.X(<=-------------------------
* FNKSHN made the Top Ten Downloads list on the Visual FoxPro Yellow Pages

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

Quote:
>I just realized a fallacy in what I posted.  The following is the
>correction:

>> Anything 5.0 that you want to use in 2.5, you'll have to make sure is in
>> FOX2X format.  You will need them to be free tables (not part of a DBC)
>or
>> you will need to translate a copy of said table using COPY TO.. TYPE
>FOX2X
>> (see help) to make it readable by 2.5.

>^^ Should be:

>Anything 5.0 that you want to use in 2.5, you'll have to make sure is in
>FOX2X format.  You will need to translate a copy of said table using COPY
>TO.. TYPE FOX2X (see help) to make it readable by 2.5.  This is regardless
>of whether the table is free or linked to a DBC.

     Pardon?  My understanding is that the link to a DBC is stored in
the table header and thus a table linked to a DBC couldn't be in 2.x
format.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

C Pronunciation Guide:
     y=x++;     "wye equals ex plus plus semicolon"
     x=x++;     "ex equals ex doublecross semicolon"

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

Quote:
> >Anything 5.0 that you want to use in 2.5, you'll have to make sure is in
> >FOX2X format.  You will need to translate a copy of said table using
COPY
> >TO.. TYPE FOX2X (see help) to make it readable by 2.5.  This is
regardless
> >of whether the table is free or linked to a DBC.

I am stumbling on my words in that pathetic paragraph and yes, my
understanding is the same as yours.  (That's why my degree isn't in English
and I'm not writing Tech Manuals =) ) If it is linked to a DBC, you need to
COPY TO TYPE FOX2X.  I also believe that if it is a 5.0 free table you need
to do the same, but I could be wrong about that.  I'm pretty sure 5.0 free
tables are still different from 2.x free tables.  Am I right or wrong?
Quote:
>      Pardon?  My understanding is that the link to a DBC is stored in
> the table header and thus a table linked to a DBC couldn't be in 2.x
> format.

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

Quote:

>> >Anything 5.0 that you want to use in 2.5, you'll have to make sure is in
>> >FOX2X format.  You will need to translate a copy of said table using
>COPY
>> >TO.. TYPE FOX2X (see help) to make it readable by 2.5.  This is
>regardless
>> >of whether the table is free or linked to a DBC.

>I am stumbling on my words in that pathetic paragraph and yes, my
>understanding is the same as yours.  (That's why my degree isn't in English
>and I'm not writing Tech Manuals =) ) If it is linked to a DBC, you need to

     Why let that stop you?  Others sure don't, do they?  To get you
started, I've up with this scam, I mean, plan...

     Earn big bucks writing tech manuals.  Since no one ever reads
them, all you need do is write the first few pages and you can leave
the rest blank or have the Elbonians do it.  For details, write to...

Quote:
>COPY TO TYPE FOX2X.  I also believe that if it is a 5.0 free table you need
>to do the same, but I could be wrong about that.  I'm pretty sure 5.0 free
>tables are still different from 2.x free tables.  Am I right or wrong?

>>      Pardon?  My understanding is that the link to a DBC is stored in
>> the table header and thus a table linked to a DBC couldn't be in 2.x
>> format.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

C Pronunciation Guide:
     y=x++;     "wye equals ex plus plus semicolon"
     x=x++;     "ex equals ex doublecross semicolon"

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

Quote:

>Well, if ASCII(0) is a common problem with FP 2.x on a Netware 4.11 network
>we haven't seen it.  My current company has programs in FPD 2.5, FPW 2.5,
>FPW 2.6 and  VFP 5.0.  The only problem with running VFP apps and
>FP (D/W) 2.x apps is the resource file.  VFP uses a differnet format for 2.x.
>When you start your apps, if they run from the same directory, you must
>specify different location to find (or place) the resource file.  The
>FOXTOOLS.FLL file from VFP is backwards compatable as far as we
>have seen.

i don't think this is true.  at least it wasn't true of 3.0.  is it
possible that the 2.6 version of foxtools.fll is forward compatible?
for microsoft, that would be a first!

Quote:
>I would like a little more info on the ASCII(0) character.  Where does it show
>up? Is it placed in fields?

yeah, this i couldn't see why it would be a problem either.  i write
binary information to field and i know there's a bunch of ascii(0)s in
there.
----------------------=>)FNKSHN FOR FOXPRO 2.X(<=-------------------------
Try out the Top Ten Downloaded* FNKSHN library written by Perry Fect
And did I also mention that it's *FREE*!?!?
http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto/fnkshn.html
Coming Soon: FNKSHN 1.2 The Final FNKSHN library for 2.x
             ObjectSHN 1.2 The Object-Oriented version of FNKSHN
----------------------=>)FNKSHN FOR FOXPRO 2.X(<=-------------------------
* FNKSHN made the Top Ten Downloads list on the Visual FoxPro Yellow Pages

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can Foxpro 2.5Dos and VFP 5 be used simultaneously?

<g> I guess perhaps the smallest hit counter on our website is probably our
tech papers online =)  My phone extension on the other hand...

Quote:
>      Why let that stop you?  Others sure don't, do they?  To get you
> started, I've up with this scam, I mean, plan...

>      Earn big bucks writing tech manuals.  Since no one ever reads
> them, all you need do is write the first few pages and you can leave
> the rest blank or have the Elbonians do it.  For details, write to...

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Am inserested in VFP using TREEVIEW iwht HitTest

2. Using menu and screen simultaneously

3. Using menu and screen simultaneously

4. I am looking for a used car lot database

5. VFP and FPW2.6 running simultaneously

6. VFP-Simultaneously view contents of 5 related tables

7. vfp apps running simultaneously and communicating with each other

8. running 2.x and VFP screens simultaneously

9. Converting from 2.5Dos to 5.0Win

10. Variable page length in report form? (FP2.5DOS)

11. Communication Library for FP2.5DOS?

12. Where AM I in my FoxPro index?