Need Advice Upgrading Foxbase+ Application
Author Message
 Need Advice Upgrading Foxbase+ Application

I have a legacy custom Foxbase+ application that has worked flawlessly over
the past 16 years. However the old DOS 286 computer it runs on is likely to
bite the dust any time now.

What would you recommend as an upgrade path to running on WinXP? Are there
conversion utilities to upgrade to the latest Visual Foxpro? VFPRO seems
expensive & overkill for the relatively small application for which I don't
need runtimes etc.

What about the dBase Plus system?

I am willing to run the application as is on XP while I convert it. (Note
while it will run on a Win98 system fine, it won't run on XP;  I keep
getting the error "Not enough space for environment" Any ideas how to fix
this?).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

 -Ian

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 06:40:03 GMT
 Need Advice Upgrading Foxbase+ Application
Hello

"Out of environment space" could  be caused by a long run-command in Foxpro.

Increase the environment space or short the run-command. Are you using long
directori names etc.

My advise about upgradeing is to make a new application in vfp 7.0, not try
to convert the old one.

Sturla

Quote:
> I have a legacy custom Foxbase+ application that has worked flawlessly
over
> the past 16 years. However the old DOS 286 computer it runs on is likely
> bite the dust any time now.

> What would you recommend as an upgrade path to running on WinXP? Are there
> conversion utilities to upgrade to the latest Visual Foxpro? VFPRO seems
> expensive & overkill for the relatively small application for which I
don't
> need runtimes etc.

> What about the dBase Plus system?

> I am willing to run the application as is on XP while I convert it. (Note
> while it will run on a Win98 system fine, it won't run on XP;  I keep
> getting the error "Not enough space for environment" Any ideas how to fix
> this?).

> Thanks for any help you can provide.

>  -Ian

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:03:55 GMT
 Need Advice Upgrading Foxbase+ Application

As I have told others, Visual Foxpro is an EXCELLENT product and should
be considered for all new projects.

But, having said that, for "converting" an existing FP application, I
would recommend trying to convert to Foxpro for Windows.   The
"conversion" to VFP is merely OK and most people (VFP gurus) recommend
not converting, but instead doing a re-write.

Yes, it has been obsoleted many years ago by Microsoft, but it still
works well on all Windows Operating Systems and there are a number of
resources (contractors like myself, forums, etc.) to support your
conversion effort.

If you want to look for your own copy of FPW go to:
    http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/msfoxv.htm
You will want the Professional version (can create EXE file) and
hopefully you can get it there.

All of your old FPD code will continue to operate "as is" (although it
might be a good time for a code review and re-design).

Your biggest challenge, should you choose to do so, might be to re-write
your menus, user screens, and reports so as to present a Windows-like
user interface to your application users.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:38:42 GMT
 Need Advice Upgrading Foxbase+ Application
Thanks for the advice.

 - Ian

Quote:

> As I have told others, Visual Foxpro is an EXCELLENT product and should
> be considered for all new projects.

> But, having said that, for "converting" an existing FP application, I
> would recommend trying to convert to Foxpro for Windows.   The
> "conversion" to VFP is merely OK and most people (VFP gurus) recommend
> not converting, but instead doing a re-write.

> Yes, it has been obsoleted many years ago by Microsoft, but it still
> works well on all Windows Operating Systems and there are a number of
> resources (contractors like myself, forums, etc.) to support your
> conversion effort.

> If you want to look for your own copy of FPW go to:
>     http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/msfoxv.htm
> You will want the Professional version (can create EXE file) and
> hopefully you can get it there.

> All of your old FPD code will continue to operate "as is" (although it
> might be a good time for a code review and re-design).

> Your biggest challenge, should you choose to do so, might be to re-write
> your menus, user screens, and reports so as to present a Windows-like
> user interface to your application users.

> Good Luck,
> JRB-Bldr
> Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services

> --

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:28:01 GMT
 Need Advice Upgrading Foxbase+ Application

Quote:

> I have a legacy custom Foxbase+ application that has worked flawlessly over
> the past 16 years. However the old DOS 286 computer it runs on is likely to
> bite the dust any time now.

> What would you recommend as an upgrade path to running on WinXP? Are there
> conversion utilities to upgrade to the latest Visual Foxpro? VFPRO seems
> expensive & overkill for the relatively small application for which I don't
> need runtimes etc.

> What about the dBase Plus system?

> I am willing to run the application as is on XP while I convert it. (Note
> while it will run on a Win98 system fine, it won't run on XP;  I keep
> getting the error "Not enough space for environment" Any ideas how to fix
> this?).

Start your FoxBase app with batch script, where you eliminate all
system variables you don't need to use and so you free your
environment space.
Example (runapp.bat) for Win2K:

REM releasing environment space
set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=
set PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=
set PROCESSOR_LEVEL=
set PROCESSOR_REVISION=
set ALLUSERSPROFILE=
set APPDATA=
set COMMONPROGRAMFILES=
set COMPUTERNAME=
set FILE_SERVER=
set HOMEDRIVE=
set HOMEPATH=
set LOGONSERVER=
set NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=
set NWLANGUAGE=
set NWUSERNAME=

REM setting my own variables
set MYVAR1=value1
set MYVAR2=value2
foxplus myapp.prg
--------------------
The list of existing system variables you can get using command (in
Dos Box):

set > set.txt

All SET variables are listed in txt-file "set.txt"

HTH

> Thanks for any help you can provide.

>  -Ian

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:31:44 GMT
 Need Advice Upgrading Foxbase+ Application
Thanks!

 - Ian

Quote:
> > I have a legacy custom Foxbase+ application that has worked flawlessly
over
> > the past 16 years. However the old DOS 286 computer it runs on is likely
> > bite the dust any time now.

> > What would you recommend as an upgrade path to running on WinXP? Are
there
> > conversion utilities to upgrade to the latest Visual Foxpro? VFPRO seems
> > expensive & overkill for the relatively small application for which I
don't
> > need runtimes etc.

> > What about the dBase Plus system?

> > I am willing to run the application as is on XP while I convert it.
(Note
> > while it will run on a Win98 system fine, it won't run on XP;  I keep
> > getting the error "Not enough space for environment" Any ideas how to
fix
> > this?).

> Start your FoxBase app with batch script, where you eliminate all
> system variables you don't need to use and so you free your
> environment space.
> Example (runapp.bat) for Win2K:
> -----------------

> REM releasing environment space
> set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=
> set PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=
> set PROCESSOR_LEVEL=
> set PROCESSOR_REVISION=
> set ALLUSERSPROFILE=
> set APPDATA=
> set COMMONPROGRAMFILES=
> set COMPUTERNAME=
> set FILE_SERVER=
> set HOMEDRIVE=
> set HOMEPATH=
> set LOGONSERVER=
> set NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=
> set NWLANGUAGE=
> set NWUSERNAME=

> REM setting my own variables
> set MYVAR1=value1
> set MYVAR2=value2
> foxplus myapp.prg
> --------------------
> The list of existing system variables you can get using command (in
> Dos Box):

> set > set.txt

> All SET variables are listed in txt-file "set.txt"

> HTH

> > Thanks for any help you can provide.

> >  -Ian

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:01:08 GMT

1. upgrading from FoxBase+ Mac

2. Seeking advice re FoxBASE/Mac->to FP2.5 vs FP2.6 vs Visual FP3.0

3. upgrade from Foxbase+Mac

4. Upgrading from FoxBase 2.0

5. Need some Mac FoxBase+ help

6. FoxBase+ source (anyone need this?)

7. Need help for running Foxbase+/mac 2.01 to MAC OS 9

8. Need a foxbase+ decomplier

9. FoxBase+ file - need to view!

10. Foxbase+ Need Assitance, No Kidding

11. FoxBase+ ver 2.01 Need Activation key

12. NEED HELP WITH VFP Network Setup conversion from Foxbase+